Amazing Chocolate Walnut Cake
This is a rich and tasty chocolate walnut cake featuring all the best sweet flavors that go amazingly together. Chocolate cake is good, as is walnut cake, but combine the two and – bam! You have an incredible cake boasting the rich taste of chocolate and the distinctive crunch of walnut in every mouthful. This cake is easy to prepare and decorating it with the ganache is a breeze.
To make this flavorful cake you are going to need butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, eggs, sugar and walnuts. The frosting uses cream and dark chocolate along with some more walnuts to garnish the finished cake.
When to Make this Chocolate Walnut Cake
This chocolate walnut cake is suitable for all kinds of special occasions, such as a birthday or christening, or you might want to make it if you’re in charge of the dessert part of a potluck buffet or simply because you want to try a brand new cake recipe.
Chocolate walnut cake recipes vary but this one is particularly straightforward so you should find it very easy. It’s best if you have a mixer and microwave, but you can still make it (just with a bit more elbow grease) even if not.
- 3½ oz (100g) unsalted butter
- 12¼ oz (350g) 70% dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in tiny amount of boiling water
- 6 eggs
- 9 oz (250g) white sugar
- 3½ oz (100g) chopped walnuts
- 1 oz (30g) fine-ground walnuts
- 7 fl oz (200ml) heavy whipping cream
- 7 oz (200g) dark chocolate
- 8 walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees F).
- Butter and line an 8-inch (20cm) spring-form cake pan.
- Break the chocolate into pieces then melt it with the butter in the microwave.
- It's best to do this in 30-second bursts, stirring often, but if you prefer you can do it over a pan of simmering water.
- Combine the coffee and cocoa into the chocolate, then stir well.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high for 5 minutes or until it is thick and creamy.
- Fold the walnuts (chopped and ground) into the batter and then fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- The cake is done when it is dry.
- Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar so the cake can cool completely in the pan in the oven.
- Take the cake out of the pan and put it on a wire tray.
- Break the rest of the chocolate into pieces.
- Heat the cream in a glass jug in the microwave or in a small pan until you see tiny bubbles.
- Don't let it boil.
- Stir the cream into it and keep stirring until all the chocolate has melted into the ganache.
- A small balloon whisk and a gentle stirring motion are what you need here.
- Let the mixture cool for half an hour or until cool but still liquid.
- Spread a thin layer of ganache over the cake then chill it for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Spread the rest of the ganache over the cake and smooth it with a palette knife.
- Decorate the cake with the walnut halves.
Photo by: KEKO64, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Perfect Cheese FondueCheese fondue is an amazing dish made with melted cheeses and other ingredients, and served with chunks of bread for dipping. Making fondue is really simple, and largely just a matter of adding your ingredients to a fondue dish and letting them melt and blend. Some fondue sets use a flame while others are electric. You can also get different kinds, so if you like to make chocolate fondue or meat fondue, you might like to collect the fondue kits, since the thick earthenware cheese fondue bowl isn’t the one needed to make meat or chocolate fondue. Our recipe for cheese fondue is very simple to make and you will love the authentic cheese .....
- Microwave Beef Stew Belgian StyleThis microwave beef stew Belgian style is one of the best stew recipes I have tried. Living so close to the Belgian border we can simply go over any time we crave this full-flavored stew and satisfy our cravings, but it is just as easy to make yourself at home, so read on and discover how the Belgians make a tasty beef stew. The following recipe shows you how to make this dish in the microwave which is perfect if you do not want to stand over the stove, stirring, or use a crockpot. The end flavor is just the same as the slow-cooked version but it is much faster. Microwave Beef Stew Belgian Style: What Kind of Beef to Use The recipe features .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....
- What to Expect from Cheilectomy SurgeryA cheilectomy operation is a surgical procedure which is done to remove bone spurs from the big toe. If you suffer from big toe pain or stiffness, big toe arthritis or hallux rigidus, this operation might help you. You will want to know what to expect from cheilectomy surgery if you or a loved one are going to have this surgery. I am writing this lens about what to expect from cheilectomy (sometimes misspelled kailectomy or chilectomy) because I had the procedure myself nearly 2 years ago. I want to share my own experience and tell you what to expect. I also have some great tips, as someone who has been through a cheilectomy surgery. This .....
- How to Grill MusselsWhen the weather is cold, mussels steamed in the pan with white wine and parsley makes a wonderful meal, served with warm garlic bread. Then maybe follow them up with some mulled wine or hot apple cider. This is why everyone should know how to cook mussels. When the weather turns warm, such a dish might not offer the same appeal but that’s when the barbecue comes into play and grilling season is in full swing. In the following recipe we are taking live mussels and cooking them in foil packets. They are served with a butter, parsley and white wine sauce, along with some bread. This makes a lovely appetizer for 4 or an entrée for 2. If .....
- Easy Chinese Chicken Stir FryThis easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish. You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper). The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 .....
- All About Vaginal Yeast InfectionsA yeast infection that affects the vaginal area is commonly referred to as candidiasis as the infection is caused by the fungus Candida. This fungus is present throughout your body at all times. However, in the perfect environment, it can grow rapidly. In areas, which are moist and warm the fungus will thrive and becomes an issue. If you think that you are suffering with this form of yeast infection, there are several symptoms which are obvious. Vaginal yeast infections can be diagnosed by the symptoms or the fact you get them often (although not everyone does). You can either experience all of the symptoms or just a few, everyone is .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- Wonton Soup RecipesThere are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup. The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer. One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....