Easy French Macaron Recipe
A macaron is a French meringue-based treat, made with powdered sugar, white sugar, egg white, almond and food coloring. These delicious little bites are often composed of two macarons sandwiched together with buttercream, jam or ganache, and you can get many different flavors. You can even make your own easy French macaron recipe. Don’t confuse macarons (with one O) with macaroons (with two O’s) – the latter are heavy, coconut cookies.
Macarons are been around for hundreds of years, and they are believed to date back to 8 AD. Italian pastry chefs accompanying Catherine de Medici in 1533 when she married Henry II of France, brought the recipe with them. 1792 was when these confections started to become famous, when a pair of Carmelite nuns sought asylum in Nancy, France, and they baked and sold macarons to fund their housing.
No fillings or flavors were used in these early macaron recipes so our easy French macaron recipe is a bit different to the original. The fillings came about in the 1830s. There are 2 different ways of making macarons, the French way and the Italian way, and it depends how the meringue is prepared.
Easy French Macaron Recipe Flavors
Almond, blueberry, caramel, chocolate, coconut, honey, lemon, orange, peppercorn, pistachio, rose, and vanilla are popular flavors, although these days you can get more unusual ones such as matcha, chai masala or saffron.
American inspired macarons come in flavors like peanut butter and jelly, strawberry cheesecake, candy cane, maple bacon, salted caramel popcorn, or salted pretzel, among others.
In the following recipe there are a number of suggestions for colors and flavorings to use in your easy French macaron recipe, but you will get the best results when you use your imagination. For example, if you want to make chocolate macarons which have a raspberry filling (rather than a chocolate one) go ahead.
Getting the Flavors and Colors Just Right
You will need flavoring extracts and food coloring gels to make authentic macarons. Swap any of our suggested jams or colors with ones of your own, to come up with your own macaron concoctions. It’s hard to go wrong when you get creative and easy French macaron recipe is one you’ll want to make again and again.
- 1¾ cups (220g) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (95g) almond flour
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (25g) superfine sugar
- 2 to 3 drops gel food coloring
- ½ teaspoon mint, vanilla or almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and line 3 baking sheets with silicone mats.
- Whisk the powdered sugar with the almond flour, then sift through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Discard any coarse almond flour that won't go through.
- Now beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar on a medium speed until frothy.
- Beat them on medium-high for 5 minutes now, adding the superfine sugar gradually.
- Add the beaten egg whites to the bowl with the almond flour.
- Fold the mixture with a rubber spatula until incorporated and the mixture runs thinly like lava.
- Add your choice of flavoring and coloring, and fold for 2 minutes or until the batter is smooth.
- Put the batter in a pastry bag and fit it with a ¼-inch (1/2 cm) round tip.
- Pipe 1¼-inch (3¼ cm) rounds on to the baking sheet.
- You will be able to get 24 per sheet.
- Tap the baking sheets against the countertop to get rid of air bubbles.
- Let the sit at room temperature for 15 minutes if it's dry or an hour if it's humid, or until they are no longer sticky.
- Slide another baking sheet under the first, because baking on 2 sheets helps protect the macarons from the heat.
- Bake this first batch for 20 minutes or until the cookies are shiny and slightly risen.
- Repeat with the other batches.
- Let the macarons cool, then sandwich them together with filling.
- You can add some cocoa powder or brown food coloring to the macarons. For the filling, warm ½ cup (125ml) of heavy cream in a pan until it begins to boil, then stir it with 4 oz (115g) of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate. Wait 1 minute then stir in 2 tablespoons of butter until smooth. Chill this filling for ½ hour in the refrigerator before using.
- Add 2 drops of bright pink food coloring gel and flavor with almond extract, then fill with ¾ cup (180ml) raspberry jam.
- Add 2 drops of mint green food coloring gel and flavor with mint extract. Melt 3 oz (85g) of white chocolate in the microwave with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and a tablespoon of butter, stirring often. Now stir in ¼ teaspoon of mint extract and a drop of mint green food coloring gel.
- Add red food coloring to the macaron mixture. For the filling, whisk 8 oz (230g) softened cream cheese with 2 cups (250g) powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter and a teaspoon of vanilla extract for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fluffy and smooth.
- Use 2 drops of violet food coloring gel and flavor with either vanilla or almond extract. The filling is ¾ cup (170g) mascarpone cheese mixed with a teaspoon of ground dried lavender and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Use 2 drops of lemon yellow food coloring and flavor with vanilla extract. To make the filling, press ¾ cup (245g) of pineapple jam through a sieve and discard any bits that don't go through.
- Use 3 drops of royal blue food coloring gel and flavor with vanilla extract. The filling can be 4 oz (115g) of softened cream cheese mixed with 3 tablespoons of blueberry jam.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Pork and Ginger WontonsChinese recipes have been used for generations and have slowly been adapted to the Western world. However, if you want authentic, healthy meals, this cuisine is perfect. Try these easy pork and ginger wontons and you will see just how delicious Chinese food can be. There are many different recipes available to cater to your taste and budget. Ingredients need to be fresh, ensuring that all of the nutrients are locked inside the meal. There are ingredients which are chosen for every Chinese recipe, to enhance the flavors and produce the ideal texture. Vegetables are a huge part of these recipes, and you will find that many different forms can .....
- Chicken and Walnut Pate RecipePaté always makes a great starter and this tasty chicken and walnut pate recipe can be made in minutes. Whole wheat toast is particularly good with this recipe but white toast with this chicken and walnut pate recipe would certainly be fine too. It is up to you, so serve whatever kind of toast you prefer, even offer both whole wheat and white if you have dinner guests and are not sure about their preference. Homemade Chicken Walnut Pate? Yum! Making your own chicken and walnut pate recipe is such a good idea because, let’s face it, shop-bought pate is nothing special. Anyone can buy pate and serve it with toast and then what is going .....
- Ham and Cheese French ToastFrench toast, also known as eggy bread, makes a great breakfast. The bread is usually dipped in beaten eggs and then pan-fried until golden brown. This recipe takes the classic French toast to the next level, however, by adding ham and cheese to the mix. This is known as a Monte Cristo sandwich, and can be pan-fried or deep-fried. Ham and cheese French toast is something kids love, and so do the grownups! Serve ham and cheese French toast with some ketchup for breakfast, brunch or a hot snack at any time, and enjoy the wonderful flavors. This is a snack which is sure to keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. Serve these sandwiches .....
- How to Make a Wonton Noodle RecipeMaking your own wonton noodle recipe, or wonton wrappers, from scratch is not difficult. Although there are different wonton wrapper recipes, this is perhaps the simplest and it offers a very good result. Yes you can buy them from the store but should you? Of course that very much depends on the results you are looking for. If you want to take the time to learn how to make wonton wrappers then it is well worth making them. You will get a fresher taste and you will also get lots of kudos from everyone enjoying your homemade wontons if they learn you not only filled and cooked the wontons but learned how to make wonton skins and made the whole .....
- Salmon in Mustard Cream SauceSalmon is a powerhouse of nutrition. This salmon in mustard cream sauce recipe is just one idea for incorporating this juicy fish into a recipe. Wild-caught salmon boasts sweetness as well as a fatty touch which balances things out beautifully for the perfect mouth-feel. This would be beautiful with any kind of potatoes – mashed, boiled (with dill weed!) or crispy and roasted, along with your favorite green vegetable. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette) and green beans are definite contenders. Personally I love grilled green asparagus, so consider that as well. If you want to double up on the sauce it would make a fine vegetarian dip for .....
- Best Yeast Infection TreatmentsYeast infections can affect anyone, regardless of your age, gender or lifestyle; however, there are treatments available that will ensure that you do not need to suffer. This infection is triggered by the natural fungus Candida being allowed to grow and spread. Yeast is present in everyone’s body but, when provided with the ideal environment, it can grow out of control , which is when you will be desperately looking for the best yeast infection treatments to get things under control once more. Common places for yeast infections to strike are the vaginal area, nail bed, diaper area, and mouth, all of which can be uncomfortable. You may .....
- How to Make Satay Sauce in 2 Minutes Using 3 IngredientsYou only need 3 ingredients to make the best satay sauce recipe. It is so easy! Learn how to make satay sauce and you will want to make this often. Satay sauce can be served with chicken or beef kabobs or fries, or you can serve this easy peanut sauce recipe as a dip for pretty much anything. If you’re making some kind of fried rice dish like egg fried rice or nasi goreng, microwave this for 45 seconds or until hot then let it cool for a minute (so it thickens back up) and it will be an amazing accompaniment. How to Make It Like a Pro When you know how to make satay sauce, you will want to perfect this skill. The key to making it is to .....
- How To Make Shrimp and Mushroom Stuffed CalamariHow does shrimp and mushroom stuffed calamari sound to you? The red pepper sauce served with it is beautiful too. This recipe makes sufficient for 4 people and features shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs. The sauce is made with red pepper, garlic and oil, to keep things simple. I have various stuffed calamari recipes in my repertoire but this one is always a winner and it’s great for any occasion, even a special occasion like a dinner party or special birthday meal. This is a clear, simple-to-follow video and it is a great introduction to beginner home cooks who wish to make stuffed squid for the first time. Try this .....
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup RecipeThis delicious cream of cauliflower soup recipe is thick and creamy. If you want to make the best cream of cauliflower soup recipe, this is a very nice recipe to choose. Each serving offers 150 calories, 12g carbs, 4g protein and 10g fat. This makes a very nice lunch or appetizer. I often make curried soups but occasionally I like to make something creamy, and cauliflower is really good. Mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes but with cauliflower) is also very good, and I like to add cauliflower to curries. Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe: So Simple and Good What makes this cream of cauliflower soup recipe special is the simplicity of it. .....
- The Best Beauty Books You Can GetDo you want to improve or change the way you look? If so, have you thought of learning exactly what kinds of cosmetics are best for you, along with how to correctly put them on? Do you want to learn all the latest makeup trends and find out how to apply makeup like a pro? If you are, you may have turned to the web or fashion magazines, but have you thought about buying a beauty book? Some of the best beauty books will give you all the tricks and tips you need to know in order to look your best. If you haven’t or perhaps if you have, you might be wondering whether or not the best beauty books are really worth the money. When it comes to .....