What is Crème Brûlée
Learning to how many crème brûlée is easy, and this creamy, sweet dessert is very tasty after any kind of main dish. Crème brûlée, sometimes mis-spelt as crème brule, is also known as crema catalana, Trinity cream and burnt cream. But what is creme brulee exactly?
The rich custard base is topped with a hard caramel layer, and it is usually served at room temperature although it can also be served chilled if you want to make it ahead.
More about Crème Brûlée
Vanilla is the typical flavor for crème brûlée but there are other possibilities, including coconut, chocolate or coffee. This dessert dates back to at least the late 1600s. This dessert is similar to ‘flan’ which is a Spanish dessert served without the caramelized top.
This dessert is often served in individual ramekins and the top can be made separately and added, or else you can sprinkle sugar on the finished desserts, then use a cooking torch or broiler to caramelize it.
Our recipe only needs 5 ingredients. You will need egg, cream, white and brown sugar, and vanilla to make it, and this recipe is pretty easy to follow. Serve the dessert as it is or pair it with some fresh berries for a colorful contrast. We like it with fresh strawberries and even a sprig of fresh mint. When learning what is creme brulee and how to make it, you will also want to consider garnishes.
How to Use a Cooking Torch
Try it for toasting meringues, browning the top of your next lemon meringue pie, searing the crust on meat or finishing off fish or seafood, or adding a crispness to anything which isn’t crispy enough.
Other Uses for a Kitchen Torch
Use it to crisp the toppings on soups or casseroles, or melt cheese. You can even make grilled cheese sandwiches at a pinch, without needing the stove or oven.
Using a blow torch is quicker than broiling, and you can direct the heat exactly where you want it to go and see the results immediately. Now you know what is creme brulee and how to make it, you might just want to invest in one of these nifty gadgets.
To use a cooking torch, wave it back and forth over whatever you are melting, caramelizing or browning until you get the desired result.
Best Blow Torch, on Amazon
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (375 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- First preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Beat 4 tablespoons of sugar with the egg yolks and vanilla extract in a bowl until creamy and thick.
- Pour the cream into a pan and stir over a low heat until nearly boiling.
- Take the cream off the heat right away.
- Beat the cream into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.
- Next, pour the cream mixture into the top pan of a double boiler.
- Stir it over simmering water for 3 minutes or until the mixture will lightly coat the back of a spoon
- Take the mixture off the heat and pour it into a shallow heat-proof dish or 4 ramekins.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for half an hour.
- Take the crème brûlée out of the oven and cool down to room temperature.
- Refrigerate the dessert for at least 1 hour or overnight if you like.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of white sugar with the brown sugar.
- Sift this mixture evenly over the custard.
- Put the dish or ramekins under the broiler for 2 minutes or until the sugar melts.
- Keep an eye on it - you want it to caramelize not burn.
- Let the crème brûlée cool then refrigerate until the custard sets again.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Oven Baked Turkey Burgers with FetaMaking a change from your usual burgers perhaps, these boast the lighter flavor of turkey. We are adding lemon and oregano for flavor, and stuffing the oven baked turkey burgers with feta cheese for a wonderful tang. The mint-cucumber dressing with these oven baked turkey burgers adds a Mediterranean touch, and you just need to combine equal parts of yogurt and grated cucumber to make it, adding in some fresh mint too. Oven baking these burgers is simple although you may pan-fry them if you prefer, or even pop them on the barbecue if it’s fired up already. If you wish to prepare the patties in advance you can just leave them in the .....
- Benefits of Tai ChiWhen most people think of exercise, they think of strenuous activity. Sweating it out at the gym while trying to figure out the weight machines or pounding the pavement outside isn’t the only way to exercise, though. Some exercise can be relaxing and Tai Chi is one of those. Tai Chi is not only an exercise for the body, but only for the mind. There are benefits of Tai Chi most other exercises won’t give you......
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood LoversCut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe. This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor. Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw. Canned crab is an economical .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Steamed Vegetable Wontons with BroccoliThis recipe combines broccoli, green onion, carrot, garlic and Asian condiments for a vegetarian-friendly wonton recipe. The wontons are steamed so you do not have to use any fat in the recipe either. If you are looking for something healthy and nutritious, which is easy enough for a beginner home cook to put together then you might be interested in this steamed vegetable wontons with broccoli recipe, especially if you like steamed dumplings. Wontons can be deep-fried, steamed, cooked in a soup or baked, but steaming gives them a lovely texture and cooks them gently. Make sure the filling is well mashed up before adding it and don’t .....
- Oven Baked Short RibsIf you’re looking for a great ribs recipe but using the oven instead of the grill, this oven baked short ribs recipe is certainly worth considering. It’s easy to make and the kitchen is going to smell incredible when you make this wonderful meal. What You Need for Oven Baked Short Ribs We are baking the ribs in the oven and adding a delicious sauce made with peach preserves, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, paprika, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. These oven baked short ribs are really tasty and falling-apart tender. The whole family will enjoy this succulent treat. What Kind of Ribs to Choose We are using meaty bone-in beef .....
- Cream Cheese Wonton Ideas and Chinese Dumplings and Soft WontonsThe most important part of your cabbage soup is, of course, the cabbage. You can get cabbage year-round and this vegetable weighs between one and seven pounds. Choose a cabbage with a big, compact head, and tender green leaves which do not show insect damage or holes. Fresh cabbage has plenty of outer leaves and greengrocers peel these off as the cabbage ages. Consider cream cheese wonton ideas. Cream cheese goes with cabbage really well (and seafood too!) Check the bottom of the cabbage before buying it, to check the leaves are not coming off the stem. If they are, that means the cabbage is old. Savoy cabbages are lighter for their size .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....
- Creamy Blue Cheese DipThis creamy blue cheese dip blends blue cheese with cream, mayonnaise and milk, with some lemon to add brightness and garlic to complement the flavor. Serve this with chips or vegetable crudites, or consider it as a side for your next buffalo chicken recipe, since the creaminess is the perfect contrast for the heat of the hot sauce. Creamy Blue Cheese Dip is So Easy to Make Making this creamy blue cheese dip is really easy blue cheese dipping sauce is simply a question of adding the ingredients to the food processor and pressing the button. Give it a few seconds and your dip will be ready to serve. If you don’t have a food processor .....