Best Breakfast Burrito Recipe
A beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla.
Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around the filling. Some people like to steam or lightly grill the tortilla to softed it, so it wraps around the filling more easily. Order a regular burrito in Mexico and you can expect meat and refried beans to be your typical filling. Head north of the border into the US though and you will find a wider variety of fillings like rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and, where breakfast burritos are concerned, even bacon, eggs and hash browns – hey, why not!
The word burrito translates from the Spanish to mean ‘little donkey’ and it is thought the name comes from the look of the bedrolls and packs donkeys used to carry. Try this best breakfast burrito recipe when a bowl of cereal simply isn’t enough to prepare you for the day ahead.
In the north of Mexico, burritos are traditional and you can get them from roadside stands or restaurants in many places. A traditional Mexican burrito will be small and thin, and consist of a flour tortilla wrapped around just one or two ingredients, one of which is likely to be meat or fish, and the other could be some type of cheese, chilies or beans.
A breakfast burrito is a Tex-Mex or American invention and it is popular in New Mexican cuisine, Tex-Mex cuisine and also Southwestern cuisine. Chorizo, bacon or steak might be in there, along with scrambled eggs, potatoes or hash browns, and maybe onion or cheese too.
A Mexican cafe in Santa Fe, New Mexico, claims to have invented the original breakfast burrito back in 1975, adding bacon and potatoes to a rolled flour tortilla, and serving chili and cheese on the side. The McDonalds breakfast burrito came out in the late 1980s and various fast food joints were offering this snack by 1990.
Best Breakfast Burrito Recipe for the Freezer
Not everyone has time to make a hot breakfast from scratch every morning so it’s nice to find the best breakfast burrito recipe which you can make in bulk and freeze in individual portions. And it freezes well too! Just freeze them on a parchment-lined baking sheet until frozen, then transfer into a freezer bag. These will keep for up to 12 weeks. Rewarming them is easy. Just wrap each one in a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes or until warm in the center.
- 1 peeled large baking potato, cut into ½-inch (1¼ cm) cubes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 oz (340g) Mexican chorizo, no casings
- 4 green onions (spring onions), green parts only (keep white parts for another use)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 10-inch (25cm) flour tortillas
- ⅔ cup (65g) Mexican melting cheese (maybe Monterrey Jack or Chihuahua)
- Handful chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- ½ cup (125 ml) tomato salsa
- 1 halved, sliced avocado
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Toss the potatoes with the vegetable oil and a pinch of salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap (Clingfilm) and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap.
- If the potatoes aren't tender, cover them again and cook for another minute.
- Put the potatoes in a nonstick pan and cook over a medium heat stirring occasionally until crisp and golden brown.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet for 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the green onions and cook for half a minute, stirring well.
- Transfer this mixture into a dish and set to one side.
- Clean out the skillet and add the olive oil.
- Whisk the eggs and grind in some salt and pepper.
- Add them to the skillet and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until scrambled softly.
- Transfer them into a bowl.
- Clean out the skillet and warm it over a moderate heat.
- Warm the tortillas in there for about 20 seconds.
- Now divide the chorizo, eggs, potato, cilantro, salsa and avocado between the tortillas.
- Roll each one into a burrito shape.
- Put the burritos into the wiped-out skillet and toast on side, pressing down gently.
- Flip them over and cook on the other side, pressing down gently.
- This makes them crisp on the top and bottom but still nice and soft on the sides.
- Serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Beautiful Pandora Charm Bracelet IdeasPretty much every girl and woman knows about Pandora charm bracelets, and there is no doubt these are an exciting piece of jewelry. You can choose from silver or gold, pick out the charms that mean something special to you, and change them whenever you like, perhaps considering green and red charms around Christmas time, romantic pink ones for Valentine’s, fun summer ones for the summer, and so on. There are lots of Pandora charm bracelet ideas regardless of your personal style. Perhaps you want to buy a baby-related charm when you have a child or another one. Let your Pandora charm bracelet tell the story of your life and give it .....
- Best Vertigo Treatment to Stop the Room SpinningFirst things first, what is vertigo? To sum up, it is a dizzy feeling. If you have it, the room will seem to be spinning or moving. It can be linked to inner ear or eyesight disorders and the only way to get rid of it is to find the best vertigo treatment. Dizziness is something most of us experience now and then but vertigo is a feeling of spinning or tilting, a persistent sense of motion which you feel when there is nothing moving. How Does It Feel? Nausea, vomiting and/or sweating can accompany it, and in severe cases you can’t even walk down the street in a straight line because it feels like everything is moving or tilting. It .....
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Sweet PeppersThese cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers are gorgeous and I often make them as a side dish. I like to use the long pointy red peppers, both because of their nice, sweet flavor, and also because of how they lie flat on the plate and don’t fall over. You can use bell peppers if you want, or even chilies if you have a taste for them. Roast these in the oven or broil them if you prefer. Keep an eye on them. You will be able to see when they are done. Tweak if You Wish It is perfectly possible to tweak this cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers recipe based on what you have. I have made these with just the peppers and the cream cheese before .....
- Mexican Cocktail Nachos RecipeThese Mexican cocktail nachos are a great starter if you are having a Mexican main course and they also make a nice snack at a cocktail party. You can easily double the amount of ingredients in this Mexican starter recipe if you want to make more. Different Types of Nachos Nachos come in many styles. Personally I like mine with lashings of guacamole, salsa and sour cream, beef ladled on top, black olives, jalapenos, cheese and more. Well, I like ‘everything’ nachos. It is perhaps easier to explain that way. If you want a simpler recipe though, with the cheese and japalenos standing out, then choose this Mexican cocktail nachos .....
- Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring | Great Poke in HoustonPoke (pronounced po-kay, let’s get that out of the way first!) is currently a huge craze here in Houston, and actually nationwide. There are poke restaurants springing up all over the place as this tasty way of serving seafood takes off. Talking of ‘springing up’ there is a new poke restaurant in Spring, just north of Houston and south of The Woodlands. Spring is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Woodlands metropolitan area. Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring, is one of the newcomers to this seafood lovers’ arena. This poke restaurant opened just a few weeks back, occupying Howie’s Tiki bar until 9pm when Howie’s .....
- Cilantro Shrimp Wonton SoupSome people make wonton soup by dropping their filled wontons into their prepared stock and letting them simmer in there but others prefer to cook the wontons in water and then add them to the soup, so as not to make the soup cloudy. Since you are the cook and the one who is going to be eating the dish, it is totally up to you. You can prepare your cilantro shrimp wonton soup however you prefer. The first few times I made cilantro shrimp wonton soup I put the wontons directly in the soup mixture and let them cook in there, but then I experimented with cooking them in water and then lifting them into warmed serving bowls using a slotted spoon .....
- Thai Fried Rice with EggThis is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones. This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....
- 1930s Kitchen Ideas for a Retro FeelA 1930s kitchen was considered to be a product of the streamlined era, and included several different trends both modern and retro. You can introduce 1930s kitchen ideas into your own kitchen to bring a touch of this charming era into the room where you cook, spend time and perhaps where everyone tends to gather at parties. By the 1930s homeowners had begun to enjoy decorating their homes and wanted their kitchens to be modern and trendy. There were many time-saving gadgets available, and housewives enjoyed organization and had far less clutter. 1930s Kitchen Ideas: Appliances and Accessories Kitchens became a key place for the whole family .....
- Pork and Shrimp Wonton SoupThese flavorful pork wontons feature shrimp, ginger, green onion and more. Try pork and shrimp wonton soup for your supper tonight and enjoy the fresh flavors. Pork and shrimp wontons are usually served in authentic wonton soup recipes and if pork and shrimp go together better than you might imagine. If you have ever tried bacon-wrapped shrimp, you will know this is a match made in heaven. Pairing pork and shrimp means you will have a delicious wonton filling for your wontons. In addition to the pork and shrimp, the wontons feature ginger, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine and more, for a traditional wonton feel and a mouthwatering finish. How to .....