Easy Spaghetti Carbonara
This is a classic Italian dish made with spaghetti, bacon and eggs. There are different variations – some people add cream or cream cheese, some will add parsley or another herb, and others will use whole wheat spaghetti over white spaghetti. However you prefer it, an easy spaghetti carbonara recipe is well worth adding to your culinary repertoire.
The following recipe is really simple, even if you are a newbie in the kitchen, and the flavor is amazing. This is good served with mixed salad leaves dressed with vinaigrette. Learning how to make spaghetti carbonara is a great idea if you want to serve something impressive but only have 2 pots on the stove.
When I made this easy spaghetti carbonara, I chose to add some cream cheese. It wasn’t necessary (I mean, it would’ve been good without it) but I wanted some creaminess in there. The authentic spaghetti carbonara recipe is made without the addition of cream or cream cheese, but if you want to add some, well it’s your dish! I also added turkey because I had some to use up and that was great in there.
Making Easy Spaghetti Carbonara Like a Pro
You need to cook the spaghetti first, following the instructions on the package and cooking it to al dente. This should take about 8 minutes depending on the kind of spaghetti you use. Meanwhile you can saute the bacon until crispy. Use a big skillet (frying pan) for this because you will end up tossing the spaghetti with the sauce in there.
The garlic goes in next, along with some cream cheese if you want to add it. Then you will be adding eggs, parmesan and some salt and pepper, mixing it all together with the drained spaghetti. The egg will cook quickly on contact with the hot skillet and hot spaghetti. Sprinkle some with parsley over it before you serve it.
- 4 oz (115g) spaghetti
- ⅓ cup (35g) freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- 2 diced bacon slices
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Cook the spaghetti following the instructions on the pack.
- Meanwhile whisk the parmesan and egg together.
- Saute the bacon in a skillet for 6 minutes or until crispy.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the pasta and save ¼ cup (60ml) of the cooking water.
- Now add the drained spaghetti to the skillet, and also the egg mixture.
- Add the cream cheese, if using.
- Toss to combine and grind in some salt and pepper.
- Add some of the spaghetti cooking water if necessary (it might not be).
- Garnish with parsley and serve right away.