Ham and Cheese French Toast
French toast, also known as eggy bread, makes a great breakfast. The bread is usually dipped in beaten eggs and then pan-fried until golden brown. This recipe takes the classic French toast to the next level, however, by adding ham and cheese to the mix. This is known as a Monte Cristo sandwich, and can be pan-fried or deep-fried. Ham and cheese French toast is something kids love, and so do the grownups!
Serve ham and cheese French toast with some ketchup for breakfast, brunch or a hot snack at any time, and enjoy the wonderful flavors. This is a snack which is sure to keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. Serve these sandwiches hot from the pan and enjoy the wonderful crispy outside and the gooey cheese inside.
What Bread for Ham and Cheese French Toast?
You can use any kind of bread for ham and cheese French toast, perhaps baguette or ciabatta, or even regular sliced bread. It is best to use day-old bread because very fresh bread is more delicate and can tear. Use ready-sliced ham and cheese to save time. Cheddar is good here, or you can use any other type of melting cheese you want. Emmental or Gruyere are really good in this Monte Cristo recipe as well.
- 8 thick slices day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard (optional)
- 3½ oz (100g) thinly sliced or shaved ham
- 6¼ oz (180g) thinly sliced cheddar, emmental, gruyere, provolone or Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup (65ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz (60g) chopped butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put mustard on one side of each bread slice, if using.
- Add the ham and cheese and close to make sandwiches.
- Whisk the milk with the eggs.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over a medium heat.
- Add half the butter and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Dip the sandwiches, 1 at a time, into the egg mixture, turning to coat.
- Let any excess egg mixture drip off.
- Cook, in batches, for 3 minutes per side, or until crispy and golden brown, adding in the rest of the butter and oil as you go.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Baked Chicken LegsIf you have some chicken legs, or chicken leg quarters, in other words the thigh and drumstick attached, then you might be wondering how to cook them. I love to make easy baked chicken legs regularly. The good news is this cut of chicken is not only economical but filling, tasty (because it is higher in fat than the chicken breast) and easy to cook. Although you can slow cook chicken legs, I nearly always bake them in the oven because this gets the skin really crisp, and that’s the best bit! How to Get Chicken Skin Crispy on Easy Baked Chicken Legs You will need to add salt plus some kind of fat to get the skin to crisp up. This .....
- Aberdeen Sausage Starter RecipeThis Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is a very delicious dish that carnivores will love. Beef and bacon are combined with the delicious flavors of Worcestershire sauce, parsley, oats, onion and more to give a delicious starter recipe which can be sliced up and served piping hot or warm from the oven, as you wish. Easy and Tasty This Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is not difficult at all and you will enjoy the flavours in it, especially if you are a sausage fan. Homemade sausages are not something a lot of home cooks make but if you are having guest for dinner and you are out to impress, you could do a lot worse than this recipe, and you .....
- Traditional Recipe for Cornish PastiesOne of the most famous dishes to come from Cornwall, England (well apart from tea and scones of course) is the Cornish pasty. This delicious snack can be enjoyed hot, warm or chilled, and the beef and vegetable filling complements the flaky pastry perfectly. Knowing the traditional recipe for Cornish pasties means you can prepare this delicacy for your family at home. Traditional Recipe for Cornish Pasties Dough We are making the pastry for our Cornish pasty (pronounced PAH-stee) recipe as well as preparing the filling. For the pastry you will need flour, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder. It helps to have a food processor to prepare .....
- Gorgeous Mystic Topaz RingsAlso known as rainbow topaz, mystic topaz is a semi-precious gemstone. It has a high hardness and refractive index as well as not being sensitive to chemicals. This means it is a good stone to make jewelry and will last for many years. Invest in mystic topaz rings and you’ll have something you want to wear all the time. What is Mystical About It? Mystic topaz is colorless topaz which has been enhanced with a hi-tech process to give a rainbow effect. The better the original stone used, the better the end result will be, and this means the quality, polish and cut. So if you start with a high quality colorless stone you will end up with a .....
- Crunchy Asian Salad with Sesame DressingThis is my current favorite crunch Asian salad with sesame dressing recipe. It contrasts crunchy and soft ingredients and boasts a wonderful Asian flavor in every mouthful. What really finishes it off perfectly is the roasted sesame dressing. I like to use rice noodles for this, although egg noodles would also work, or even thick udon noodles. For the vegetables in this Asian salad with sesame dressing, I like to use edamame beans, grated carrot and radish. You can either thaw some frozen shelled edamame beans or use fresh shelled ones, as you prefer. Buy grated carrot to save time when making an Asian salad with sesame dressing, else you .....
- Cream Cheese Wonton RecipesCream cheese wontons recipes are so easy to make. All you need apart from the oil for frying are some wonton skins and cream cheese. I usually use Philadelphia cream cheese but you can use any kind you like. You could even use one of the flavored kinds, like herb cream cheese or tomato and basil cream cheese for your cream cheese wontons recipes, but the plain kind works just fine too. You can fold the wontons up however you want when making cream cheese wonton recipes, perhaps pulling two of the pointed tips towards each other, then the other two. Alternatively you could scrunch the tops to make a “moneybag” shape or simply fold .....
- Baked Beef Wontons with Bell PepperThe following recipe shows you how to make baked beef wontons which also contain bell pepper for a colorful finish. Baking wontons is an alternative to frying them if you happen to have the oven on anyway or if you want to trim the fat content. These delicious little morsels make wonderful appetizers and it is up to you what shape you make them – open so you can see the beef and colorful bell pepper filling, or closed so the filling is a surprise. Tips and Tricks for Perfect Baked Beef Wontons You could even make moneybags by pinching the tops closed so they look like moneybags, but most people like to leave these open, so people can .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Thick and Creamy Pumpkin SoupThick and creamy pumpkin soup is a winter favorite. There are many ways to make it and a lot of people like it thick, rich and sweet, but there are also more savory options. In some parts of Europe, for example, the soup will include onion, garlic, bacon and herbs. In other parts of the world this soup is made very sweet and can almost be compared to a dessert. No wonder thick and creamy pumpkin soup is so popular with the kids. Personally I love the ‘comfort food’ kind of pumpkin soup and I love adding maple syrup, cream and other wonderful ingredients to bring out the flavor of the pumpkin. I like to roast my pumpkin before .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....