How to Make an English Breakfast
An English breakfast, often known as a full breakfast in England, is a breakfast meal which usually includes back bacon, fried, scrambled or poached eggs, sausages, and sometimes tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns (yes they’re American not English, but popular these days!), black pudding, baked beans, toast or fried bread, and tea or coffee. Want to know how to make an English breakfast yourself? Read on for some tips.
Bubble and squeak (mashed potatoes and cooked vegetables mashed together and fried) sometimes feature, while in the North you might get fried or broiled oatcakes instead of fried bread or toast.
How to Make an English Breakfast as an All Day Breakfast
Some pubs and cafes in England offer an ‘all day breakfast’ so you can enjoy this tasty meal whenever you like, whether you wake up late but not late enough for lunch, or you just crave a delicious English breakfast later on in the day. Another name for this type of breakfast in the UK is ‘fry up’ because most items on the plate are fried. Learn how to make an English breakfast and you can make this today.
This of course is a very popular English dish, along with fish ‘n chips, an English Christmas dinner and other recipes. Head to Scotland and you can expect a ‘full Scottish’ and the same is true of Wales (a ‘full Welsh’) or Ireland, where you can order a ‘full Irish’ or ‘Ulster fry’.
This dish has been popular since Victorian times. In hotels you can usually choose between an English breakfast or a Continental breakfast (which is bread, croissants, pastries, cold meat and cheese cuts, fruit juice, and tea or coffee). An English breakfast is typically served with ketchup or brown sauce.
A breakfast roll is a full breakfast (or most of the ingredients) served in French baguette bread. The appeal is that it can be eaten on the move, perhaps in the car on your way to work. This is similar to the breakfast burrito in the US. Knowing how to make an English breakfast is worthwhile if you want something different to start the day with.
In Cornwall, in the south of England, you can expect hog’s pudding and Cornish potatoes cakes, which are made with mashed potatoes, butter and flour, and then fried, or perhaps some fried potatoes, as well as the bacon, sausage, mushrooms, egg, toast, and tomatoes. Cornish breakfasts used to include herring, pilchards or ‘gurty pudding’ which is similar to haggis, a Scottish dish.
Across the water in Ireland, you can expect bacon, pork sausages, black and white pudding, fried eggs, fried tomato and toast, along with perhaps some sautéed field mushrooms, baked beans, brown soda bread, hash browns and/or liver.
You might get fried potatoes or toast instead of the soda bread. In Belfast, Northern Ireland, you have the ‘Ulster Fry’ which is like an Irish breakfast, and doesn’t include white pudding, but does have everything you get in a ‘full Irish’ along with potato bread and soda bread. This meal is usually available all day.
In Scotland, the full breakfast is made with back bacon, eggs, sausage (usually a square kind known as Lorne sausage), baked beans, toast, and tea or coffee. Tattie scones and Scottish black pudding might also feature. Broiled or fried tomatoes, mushrooms and sometimes oatcakes, haggis, white pudding and/or fruit pudding will be served too.
It is more common these days to broil the meats, tomatoes and puddings rather than frying them, although the tattie scones and eggs are normally fried. Porridge (oatmeal) is often served in Scotland instead of the full Scottish.
In Wales, you will find breakfast varies from place to place, although the typical one includes laverbread (a fried seaweed puree with oatmeal) and Welsh cockles, along with sausages, thick bacon, eggs and mushrooms.
Fried Breakfast in the US and Canada
In the US and Canada, this style of breakfast is popular too, although the typical spread will be eggs, meat (bacon, ham, sausage or corned beef hash), fried potatoes, hash browns, home fries or grits, and maybe pork roll or steak. Fruit juice and coffee or tea goes with it, and you might also get waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, biscuits, English muffins, bagels, or cinnamon rolls. Discover how to make an English breakfast in the following recipe.
- 4 pork sausage links
- 4 mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes, scored on top
- 4 smoked dry-cured back bacon strips
- 4 oz (100g) sliced black pudding
- 15 oz (420g) baked beans
- 2 hash browns (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 beaten eggs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 thick slices of bread
- Preheat the broiler to high and set the oven at its lowest heat.
- Put 2 plates in there to keep warm.
- Arrange the mushrooms, tomatoes (scored side up) and sausages in the broiler pan and broil 2 inches from the heat for 5 minutes.
- You can add the hash browns now too, if using.
- Flip the sausages and hash browns, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the bacon and black pudding.
- Broil for 5 minutes, turning halfway through, or until crispy and cooked.
- Warm the beans in a pan for a couple of minutes or until almost simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Melt half the butter in a pan and add the eggs.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper and stir until just scrambled.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Toast the bread.
- Arrange the mushrooms, sausages, tomatoes, bacon, beans and black pudding on the warmed plates.
- Butter the toast with the remaining butter and cut it into triangles to serve on the side.
- Serve with ketchup or brown sauce, and also a pot of tea or some coffee.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Sparkly Swarovski Cat CollarsSwarovski crystals are beautiful and if you are looking for an extra special collar for your feline friend then why not buy Swarovski cat collars? Costing less than you might imagine, these lovely collars will look gorgeous on your cat. I have tried a few different ones, although my favorite is the simple 10-diamonds on velvet style. My cat Cleo is black with flashes of gray in her fur, so I usually go with a bright color like pink or red. She’s 9 so she has had a few collars and she had her current one for a couple of years so far. Choosing Swarovski cat collars is not difficult. Just pick out something which you like and make sure .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Tasty Thai Tuna SaladThis Thai tuna salad is a great recipe because you can throw it together in about 10 minutes. Canned tuna is often nice in Asian recipes and I have used it in stir-fries before. This recipe adds Thai ingredients to the mix to offer an authentic Southeast Asian flavor. There is no cooking involved in this Thai tuna salad and you can have this on the table in less than half an hour from right now, if you have all the ingredients. If not, feel free to make adaptations because there are plenty of tweaks you could make to such a versatile dish. Thai Tuna Salad: Play with the Flavors Maybe you would like to switch the spices. I used ground ginger .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- Thai Vegetarian CrackslawIf you want to try something brand new, this Thai vegetarian crackslaw recipe offers an aromatic Asian flavor. Use Quorn, TVP (textured vegetable protein) or your favorite vegetarian meat alternative as well as julienne-cut veggies to make this dish commonly known as veggie crack or vegetable crackslaw. You will love the fragrant Thai flavors this dish offers, and probably want to make it again and again. This dish is low in carbs yet high in flavor. Thai Vegetarian Crackslaw If you want to use meat or poultry by all means go ahead. Just ensure it is fully cooked before adding the other ingredients to the pan. This recipe offers a wonderful .....
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- Gourmet Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes and ProscuittoGnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate. I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....
- How to Make Vegetable QuicheFew things are as delicious as a good vegetarian quiche, and learning how to make vegetable quiche is something that any home cook can do with ease. You can include as few or as many veggies as you like, and choose from various types of crusts and fillings, to make your vegetarian quiche recipe perfect for your palate. Once you discover how to make quiche you will want to experiment with diverse crusts and fillings. Not only will you love the resulting quiche but your family are sure to love it too. Quiche is a healthy option, boasting the protein from eggs, the nutrients in the veggies, and it is also really filling and will keep you .....