How to Make an English Breakfast
An English breakfast, often known as a full breakfast in England, is a breakfast meal which usually includes back bacon, fried, scrambled or poached eggs, sausages, and sometimes tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns (yes they’re American not English, but popular these days!), black pudding, baked beans, toast or fried bread, and tea or coffee. Want to know how to make an English breakfast yourself? Read on for some tips.
Bubble and squeak (mashed potatoes and cooked vegetables mashed together and fried) sometimes feature, while in the North you might get fried or broiled oatcakes instead of fried bread or toast.
How to Make an English Breakfast as an All Day Breakfast
Some pubs and cafes in England offer an ‘all day breakfast’ so you can enjoy this tasty meal whenever you like, whether you wake up late but not late enough for lunch, or you just crave a delicious English breakfast later on in the day. Another name for this type of breakfast in the UK is ‘fry up’ because most items on the plate are fried. Learn how to make an English breakfast and you can make this today.
This of course is a very popular English dish, along with fish ‘n chips, an English Christmas dinner and other recipes. Head to Scotland and you can expect a ‘full Scottish’ and the same is true of Wales (a ‘full Welsh’) or Ireland, where you can order a ‘full Irish’ or ‘Ulster fry’.
This dish has been popular since Victorian times. In hotels you can usually choose between an English breakfast or a Continental breakfast (which is bread, croissants, pastries, cold meat and cheese cuts, fruit juice, and tea or coffee). An English breakfast is typically served with ketchup or brown sauce.
A breakfast roll is a full breakfast (or most of the ingredients) served in French baguette bread. The appeal is that it can be eaten on the move, perhaps in the car on your way to work. This is similar to the breakfast burrito in the US. Knowing how to make an English breakfast is worthwhile if you want something different to start the day with.
In Cornwall, in the south of England, you can expect hog’s pudding and Cornish potatoes cakes, which are made with mashed potatoes, butter and flour, and then fried, or perhaps some fried potatoes, as well as the bacon, sausage, mushrooms, egg, toast, and tomatoes. Cornish breakfasts used to include herring, pilchards or ‘gurty pudding’ which is similar to haggis, a Scottish dish.
Across the water in Ireland, you can expect bacon, pork sausages, black and white pudding, fried eggs, fried tomato and toast, along with perhaps some sautéed field mushrooms, baked beans, brown soda bread, hash browns and/or liver.
You might get fried potatoes or toast instead of the soda bread. In Belfast, Northern Ireland, you have the ‘Ulster Fry’ which is like an Irish breakfast, and doesn’t include white pudding, but does have everything you get in a ‘full Irish’ along with potato bread and soda bread. This meal is usually available all day.
In Scotland, the full breakfast is made with back bacon, eggs, sausage (usually a square kind known as Lorne sausage), baked beans, toast, and tea or coffee. Tattie scones and Scottish black pudding might also feature. Broiled or fried tomatoes, mushrooms and sometimes oatcakes, haggis, white pudding and/or fruit pudding will be served too.
It is more common these days to broil the meats, tomatoes and puddings rather than frying them, although the tattie scones and eggs are normally fried. Porridge (oatmeal) is often served in Scotland instead of the full Scottish.
In Wales, you will find breakfast varies from place to place, although the typical one includes laverbread (a fried seaweed puree with oatmeal) and Welsh cockles, along with sausages, thick bacon, eggs and mushrooms.
Fried Breakfast in the US and Canada
In the US and Canada, this style of breakfast is popular too, although the typical spread will be eggs, meat (bacon, ham, sausage or corned beef hash), fried potatoes, hash browns, home fries or grits, and maybe pork roll or steak. Fruit juice and coffee or tea goes with it, and you might also get waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, biscuits, English muffins, bagels, or cinnamon rolls. Discover how to make an English breakfast in the following recipe.
- 4 pork sausage links
- 4 mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes, scored on top
- 4 smoked dry-cured back bacon strips
- 4 oz (100g) sliced black pudding
- 15 oz (420g) baked beans
- 2 hash browns (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 beaten eggs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 thick slices of bread
- Preheat the broiler to high and set the oven at its lowest heat.
- Put 2 plates in there to keep warm.
- Arrange the mushrooms, tomatoes (scored side up) and sausages in the broiler pan and broil 2 inches from the heat for 5 minutes.
- You can add the hash browns now too, if using.
- Flip the sausages and hash browns, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the bacon and black pudding.
- Broil for 5 minutes, turning halfway through, or until crispy and cooked.
- Warm the beans in a pan for a couple of minutes or until almost simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Melt half the butter in a pan and add the eggs.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper and stir until just scrambled.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Toast the bread.
- Arrange the mushrooms, sausages, tomatoes, bacon, beans and black pudding on the warmed plates.
- Butter the toast with the remaining butter and cut it into triangles to serve on the side.
- Serve with ketchup or brown sauce, and also a pot of tea or some coffee.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Pork Steaks in Mustard SaucePork loin steaks or chops are ideal for this recipe, and these tend to be very affordable when compared to some other types of meat. This pork steaks in mustard sauce recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner and you’ll find them to be popular with the whole family. Pork is juicy and tasty, and it is also quite versatile, making an appearance in everything from spicy recipes to mild ones or even fruity ones. Pork goes nicely with apple. The following pork steaks in mustard sauce recipe features a mustard sauce though, proving that pork also works with piquant flavors. Choose Your Cream and Mustard Types Choose from regular sour cream or .....
- Baked Wonton Chips with Sesame SeedsYou can use black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds or gosiamo to make these baked wonton chips with sesame seeds. Gomasio is a mixture of sesame seeds, seaweed and salt. Have you seen these in your local store? If not, ask. The worst that will happen is the store doesn’t carry them in which case head to an Asian or international food store or else simply buy some white seeds and some black ones and make your own mix. These baked wonton chips with sesame seeds are so simple to make and you probably already have the required ingredients for them, since all you need are wonton skins, sesame seeds, oil and pepper. These wontons are baked .....
- Best Julienne PeelersEveryone needs one of the best julienne peelers in their kitchen drawer in 2017! One of these little gadgets will glide effortlessly over your vegetables to peel them or give you matchstick-thin pieces or little strips. Use these for making coleslaw, for prepping veggies for a salad or for making matching shapes for another use. You can also stir-fry or saute them and they cook very quickly when they are cut so finely. When reading reviews for these the main thing is how well the device in question works, and also how easy it is to use. There are different ones to choose from and whichever one you choose depends how often you plan to use it .....
- How To Make Shrimp and Mushroom Stuffed CalamariHow does shrimp and mushroom stuffed calamari sound to you? The red pepper sauce served with it is beautiful too. This recipe makes sufficient for 4 people and features shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs. The sauce is made with red pepper, garlic and oil, to keep things simple. I have various stuffed calamari recipes in my repertoire but this one is always a winner and it’s great for any occasion, even a special occasion like a dinner party or special birthday meal. This is a clear, simple-to-follow video and it is a great introduction to beginner home cooks who wish to make stuffed squid for the first time. Try this .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings. Some More Hot Content For You Easy UK Appetizer .....
- Easy Hummus Recipe with Peanut ButterUsing peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful. This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg. How to Make Hummus Without Tahini You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can .....
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food. Some More Hot Content For You Decadent Chocolate .....
- Summer Fruits Ice TeaThis lovely summer fruits ice tea combines tea, honey and fruit with mint leaves. The result is refreshing and delicious. If you wish to make an alcoholic version, add a splash of Cointreau, Limoncello, Chambord or fruit brandy to the drink. If you are doing this and there are kids around, don’t forget to mark the pitcher so you know it’s for the grownup only. This tasty drink is tasty, refreshing and free from additives. A lot of commercial teas contain lots of added sugar, as well as artificial colors and flavorings, and those are all things we could happily do without. Feel free to tinker with the following recipe. Try adding .....
- Top Tips for Gorgeous FoodStarters are supposed to make people want to tuck into them, so choosing a nice garnish as well as the best recipes is important. Learn some top tips for gorgeous food and find out how to present the most gorgeous looking dishes imaginable. You can even serve something basic like raw broccoli and carrot pieces with a dip in style. Make sure you only use perfect crudites and make them all the same size. Present the dip in a nice bowl and arrange the crudites around the outside. You can make any meal look good, even if it is something quite plain and not colorful. That’s what tips for gorgeous food are all about. Take meatballs for .....