How to Poach an Egg like a Pro
Perfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller.
The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt.
Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start to cook right away and you will see them turn from clear to white. If you prefer to use silicon egg cups instead of just dropping the eggs into the water, do that. Now you know how to poach an egg like a pro!
How Long to Poach an Egg
It depends how you want the eggs. Soft-poached eggs take about 2 minutes, medium-poached more like 3 minutes, and firm-poached 4 minutes. These depend whether you are using chilled or room temperature eggs and also on the size of the eggs. Take one out of the pan and push it gently with a teaspoon to test if they are done. If it feels too soft, give it more cooking time. Remove the cooked poached eggs on to paper towels, using a slotted spoon, then serve with toast and some salt and black pepper.
How Long to Poach Quail Eggs and Duck Eggs
Quail eggs are smaller than regular chicken eggs. They take about 1 minute for soft or 2 to 3 minutes for firm. As for duck eggs, these are larger, and will take 3 minutes for soft or 7 minutes for firm.
Use good quality eggs for the best result. Crack an egg on to a plate and look at the yolk. If it’s standing up and the egg white is not watery, it’s a fresh egg. Keep your eggs at room temperature or refrigerated, but keep them away from fish or anything strong-smelling since the eggshells are porous and can absorb other smells. Some people like to swirl the water then drop the egg into it and poach it because it gives the poached egg a nice shape. The eggs need to cook individually though, so it’s fine if you’re only poaching one or two, but if you’re poaching more than that, don’t bother swirling the water.
Some people like to use a different liquid for poaching rather than just plain water. Milk, wine, stock, tomato sauce or bouillon can all be used. Some people add salt and vinegar to the poaching liquid to keep the white firm, but this can make the white a little less delicate in texture. The loose part of the egg white usually detaches in the water anyway. Hotels and restaurants sometimes poach eggs a day before if they are having a lot of people for breakfast. When the yolks are beginning to set but are still soft, remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water and refrigerate overnight. The next day, warm them in hot water.
Microwave Poached Egg Recipe
If you always tend to be in a hurry at breakfast time (and who isn’t) you might wonder how to make poached eggs in the microwave. Although making them in a pan only takes a few minutes, microwaving them will shave a little time off your morning rush. Fill a mug with ½ cup of water, then crack an egg in there. It should be submerged under the water. Put a saucer on the mug to cover, then microwave for a minute on high, or until the white is set but the yolk is still soft. Transfer the poached egg to a plate using a slotted spoon.
Silicon Egg Poacher Cups
This set of egg poacher cups comes in 4 bright colors, and they are easy to use and clean. Silicon is naturally nonstick, another bonus, so the eggs will slide right out easily. Boil some water then float the cups in there. Crack an egg into each one, cover the pot and cook. This is a very handy method, and helpful if you want to know how to poach an egg like a pro and get wonderful results.
If you like to eat poached eggs regularly or you are looking for a new way to poach them or simply tired of cleaning up dirty pans or metal egg poaching cups, why not consider these? Cook your eggs for about 5 minutes with the lid on the pot and they will be perfect. Once you’re done you can either wash the egg cups in hot, soapy water or, better yet, pop them in the dishwasher.
When you swirl the water and poach eggs without cups, you might lose half the egg white as it swirls off the egg, but when you use egg poacher cups, you are sure to keep all the egg in one piece which means they look better and, of course, you end up with more egg.
Silicon Egg Poacher Cups, on Amazon
How to Use an Egg Poacher Pan
Fill the pan with ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) water and bring it to a simmer over a medium heat. Oil the egg poaching cups and warm them in the pan. Now crack an egg into each one, cover the pan, and cook (simmer not boil!) for 2 to 4 minutes, or until done to your liking. Using an egg poaching pan means easy cleanup (just toss everything in the dishwasher) as well as perfectly shaped, perfectly round poached eggs! Yes the ragged ones can look nice and rustic, but sometimes it’s nice to have symmetrical ones.
Nonstick Stainless Steel Egg Poacher Pan
If silicon egg cups are not for you, why not invest in this nonstick stainless steel egg poaching pan? You need to put half an inch (1 ½ cm) water in the pan so it doesn’t touch the cups, then bring it to a boil. Now crack an egg into each cup so you are steaming the eggs. Don’t use too little water else it will boil dry, and don’t use too much because you don’t want it touching the cups.
This egg poacher comes with a clear glass lid so you can watch the little beauties turn from raw into perfectly poached. This is a quality set and has some weight in it. The pan measures 7 inches (20cm) across and is 2 inches (5cm) tall. Although some people prefer to wash up by hand, this one should be fine in the dishwasher. I put all my Teflon pans in the dishwasher and the coating is still intact on them. The stay-cool handle is a great feature on this set.
- 1 handful salad leaves
- 1 chopped tomato
- Few pieces chorizo or salami (optional)
- A few croutons
- 2 large eggs
- Water, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing
- Chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water.
- Repeat with the second egg.
- They will start to cook right away and you will see them turn from clear to white.
- Cook for 2 minutes for soft, 3 minutes for medium, or 4 minutes for firm.
- While the eggs are cooking, arrange the salad leaves on a plate.
- Add the tomato, chorizo or salami if using, and croutons.
- Drizzle your favorite kind of salad dressing on top.
- Remove the eggs to paper towels to drain, using a slotted spoon.
- Arrange them on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle over chopped basil, parsley or cilantro, if liked.
- Grind over some salt and black pepper, and serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Ham and Cheese French ToastFrench toast, also known as eggy bread, makes a great breakfast. The bread is usually dipped in beaten eggs and then pan-fried until golden brown. This recipe takes the classic French toast to the next level, however, by adding ham and cheese to the mix. This is known as a Monte Cristo sandwich, and can be pan-fried or deep-fried. Ham and cheese French toast is something kids love, and so do the grownups! Serve ham and cheese French toast with some ketchup for breakfast, brunch or a hot snack at any time, and enjoy the wonderful flavors. This is a snack which is sure to keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. Serve these sandwiches .....
- Micro Sim CutterFirst of all, what is a micro sim cutter? If you already have a sim-card then you might find your new phone will only accept a nano or micro sim size. So how do you trim your card to make it fit? Obviously making a mistake is going to make it pretty much useless. The answer is to invest in one of these cutters and cut your new sim easily and quickly. A good cutter will have adapters to transform your micro sim back to a regular size if you need to use it in a phone which takes that size......
- Low Carb Tortilla PizzaThis low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned. Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones. This low .....
- Perfect Peach SmoothiePeach smoothie is perfect for any age or occasion, and you can adapt the following recipe as much as you want. Serve it in martini glasses, tall glasses or another kind, and garnish each one with a peach slice if you want, or a strawberry perhaps. This lovely recipe is quick and easy to make. Simply throw everything into a blender and press the button. If you find yourself with a batch of fresh peaches to use up, consider making this recipe. You don’t have to use fresh peaches. Frozen ones will work too, either thawed or still frozen, and if you’re using still-frozen ones you can leave out the ice cubes. Fruity and Fantastic .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....
- Crispy Baked Camembert RecipeCamembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture. How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve? This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Fried Brie with Hot Cranberry Sauce RecipeFried Brie with hot cranberry sauce is a traditional starter and with this recipe, you can make it from start to finish in just a few minutes. Brie is a versatile cheese and is just as good served cold in a sandwich as served fried like this. Personally I’m not keen on cold Brie but I can’t get enough of this fried Brie with hot cranberry sauce! What is Brie Cheese? Brie is a soft cow’s milk cheese which is widely available. It’s named after Brie, the French region where it originates from. Perhaps you have only had it cold, sliced, perhaps with French bread and grapes, but it is really good in this fried Brie with .....
- Colourful Tuscan Bread SaladThis Tuscan bread salad is a wonderful summer starter recipe because there is no cooking involved. It is best to make this colourful Tuscan bread starter using Italian bread but you can use another type if you have some to use up. Sourdough bread, pita bread and wholemeal bread all work well. Tuscan Bread Salad: Preparing the Bread Tear the bread up to make big chunks or shred it like breadcrumbs, whichever you prefer. You can get creative with this easy salad recipe and add your own touches to it. This is a bread salad not a crouton salad so you don’t need to fry or toast the bread. This vegetarian starter recipe is called .....
- How to Make Wontons Like a ProThe first thing you need to do when making wontons is familiarize yourself with how these bite-sized treats are made, and find out what you need to make wontons. Knowing how to make wontons doesn’t require a whole lot of training. Practice makes perfect and really, it’s easy! You also need to decide what type of wonton recipe you wish to prepare. Do you want to make a classic wonton soup recipe or would you like to start off with baked wontons or fried ones? You can even steam them if you have a bamboo steamer and you want a softer texture. Once you have found a good recipe for your wonton filling, you can assemble your wontons .....