How to Poach an Egg like a Pro
Perfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller.
The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt.
Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start to cook right away and you will see them turn from clear to white. If you prefer to use silicon egg cups instead of just dropping the eggs into the water, do that. Now you know how to poach an egg like a pro!
How Long to Poach an Egg
It depends how you want the eggs. Soft-poached eggs take about 2 minutes, medium-poached more like 3 minutes, and firm-poached 4 minutes. These depend whether you are using chilled or room temperature eggs and also on the size of the eggs. Take one out of the pan and push it gently with a teaspoon to test if they are done. If it feels too soft, give it more cooking time. Remove the cooked poached eggs on to paper towels, using a slotted spoon, then serve with toast and some salt and black pepper.
How Long to Poach Quail Eggs and Duck Eggs
Quail eggs are smaller than regular chicken eggs. They take about 1 minute for soft or 2 to 3 minutes for firm. As for duck eggs, these are larger, and will take 3 minutes for soft or 7 minutes for firm.
Use good quality eggs for the best result. Crack an egg on to a plate and look at the yolk. If it’s standing up and the egg white is not watery, it’s a fresh egg. Keep your eggs at room temperature or refrigerated, but keep them away from fish or anything strong-smelling since the eggshells are porous and can absorb other smells. Some people like to swirl the water then drop the egg into it and poach it because it gives the poached egg a nice shape. The eggs need to cook individually though, so it’s fine if you’re only poaching one or two, but if you’re poaching more than that, don’t bother swirling the water.
Some people like to use a different liquid for poaching rather than just plain water. Milk, wine, stock, tomato sauce or bouillon can all be used. Some people add salt and vinegar to the poaching liquid to keep the white firm, but this can make the white a little less delicate in texture. The loose part of the egg white usually detaches in the water anyway. Hotels and restaurants sometimes poach eggs a day before if they are having a lot of people for breakfast. When the yolks are beginning to set but are still soft, remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water and refrigerate overnight. The next day, warm them in hot water.
Microwave Poached Egg Recipe
If you always tend to be in a hurry at breakfast time (and who isn’t) you might wonder how to make poached eggs in the microwave. Although making them in a pan only takes a few minutes, microwaving them will shave a little time off your morning rush. Fill a mug with ½ cup of water, then crack an egg in there. It should be submerged under the water. Put a saucer on the mug to cover, then microwave for a minute on high, or until the white is set but the yolk is still soft. Transfer the poached egg to a plate using a slotted spoon.
Silicon Egg Poacher Cups
This set of egg poacher cups comes in 4 bright colors, and they are easy to use and clean. Silicon is naturally nonstick, another bonus, so the eggs will slide right out easily. Boil some water then float the cups in there. Crack an egg into each one, cover the pot and cook. This is a very handy method, and helpful if you want to know how to poach an egg like a pro and get wonderful results.
If you like to eat poached eggs regularly or you are looking for a new way to poach them or simply tired of cleaning up dirty pans or metal egg poaching cups, why not consider these? Cook your eggs for about 5 minutes with the lid on the pot and they will be perfect. Once you’re done you can either wash the egg cups in hot, soapy water or, better yet, pop them in the dishwasher.
When you swirl the water and poach eggs without cups, you might lose half the egg white as it swirls off the egg, but when you use egg poacher cups, you are sure to keep all the egg in one piece which means they look better and, of course, you end up with more egg.
Silicon Egg Poacher Cups, on Amazon
How to Use an Egg Poacher Pan
Fill the pan with ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) water and bring it to a simmer over a medium heat. Oil the egg poaching cups and warm them in the pan. Now crack an egg into each one, cover the pan, and cook (simmer not boil!) for 2 to 4 minutes, or until done to your liking. Using an egg poaching pan means easy cleanup (just toss everything in the dishwasher) as well as perfectly shaped, perfectly round poached eggs! Yes the ragged ones can look nice and rustic, but sometimes it’s nice to have symmetrical ones.
Nonstick Stainless Steel Egg Poacher Pan
If silicon egg cups are not for you, why not invest in this nonstick stainless steel egg poaching pan? You need to put half an inch (1 ½ cm) water in the pan so it doesn’t touch the cups, then bring it to a boil. Now crack an egg into each cup so you are steaming the eggs. Don’t use too little water else it will boil dry, and don’t use too much because you don’t want it touching the cups.
This egg poacher comes with a clear glass lid so you can watch the little beauties turn from raw into perfectly poached. This is a quality set and has some weight in it. The pan measures 7 inches (20cm) across and is 2 inches (5cm) tall. Although some people prefer to wash up by hand, this one should be fine in the dishwasher. I put all my Teflon pans in the dishwasher and the coating is still intact on them. The stay-cool handle is a great feature on this set.
- 1 handful salad leaves
- 1 chopped tomato
- Few pieces chorizo or salami (optional)
- A few croutons
- 2 large eggs
- Water, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing
- Chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water.
- Repeat with the second egg.
- They will start to cook right away and you will see them turn from clear to white.
- Cook for 2 minutes for soft, 3 minutes for medium, or 4 minutes for firm.
- While the eggs are cooking, arrange the salad leaves on a plate.
- Add the tomato, chorizo or salami if using, and croutons.
- Drizzle your favorite kind of salad dressing on top.
- Remove the eggs to paper towels to drain, using a slotted spoon.
- Arrange them on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle over chopped basil, parsley or cilantro, if liked.
- Grind over some salt and black pepper, and serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Jamie Oliver Superfood Salad CopycatMy husband and I had lunch at the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Cardiff last year and it was really good! I had the avocado superfood salad with smoked salmon and it really made an impression. I loved all those flavors and it looked gorgeous too. I wanted to recreate it so I came up with this Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe. It’s not identical but pretty close! What’s in It? The Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat salad is made with avocado, beets, grains, kale, toasted seeds, and a tasty harissa and lemon dressing. On top of that you have avocado, pomegranate and poppy seeds. The following recipe is a copycat attempt, .....
- Perfect Peach SmoothiePeach smoothie is perfect for any age or occasion, and you can adapt the following recipe as much as you want. Serve it in martini glasses, tall glasses or another kind, and garnish each one with a peach slice if you want, or a strawberry perhaps. This lovely recipe is quick and easy to make. Simply throw everything into a blender and press the button. If you find yourself with a batch of fresh peaches to use up, consider making this recipe. You don’t have to use fresh peaches. Frozen ones will work too, either thawed or still frozen, and if you’re using still-frozen ones you can leave out the ice cubes. Fruity and Fantastic .....
- Starter Recipes Around the GlobeInternational dishes have taken off recently in a big way. It is not unusual at all these days to see international starter recipes on a restaurant menu or to be given them at a dinner party. This obviously applies to main courses and desserts as well as starter recipes. Chicken sate, prawn toast, Asian soup recipes, Greek dips, Spanish tapas and more are popular as well as common these days and many people even prefer international starter recipes over traditional British ones. There are more ingredients available in modern supermarkets than ever before and you can use these ingredients to make exotic recipes and fusion-style snacks. .....
- Hot and Creamy Crab DipThis hot and creamy crab dip recipe is lovely if you want something hot, creamy and with seafood in it. The crab is blended with cream cheese, Parmesan, hot sauce and more, for a hot and delicious dip. The dip is not too firm or too runny, so you can use it for chips, crudites or anything else. Chips should not snap off when you dip them in because, well, that’s just annoying! Hot and Creamy Crab Dip: Serve It Nice and Hot Because this is a hot dip, you will need to serve it immediately. Feel free to make it in advance though and pop it in the oven when your guests start to arrive. It will smell good while it heats up in the oven and .....
- Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume ReviewThis Prada Infusion d’Iris perfume scent has been around since 2007 if you are wondering what year it came out, and this is a beautiful fragrance. Read on for some links to discount Prada Milano if you want to buy some of this gorgeous perfume for yourself or a friend. How Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume Smells You will be able to smell orange as well as orange blossom, mandarin and galbanum and then iris, vetiver and cedar come in afterwards. This delicious fragrance is held in a delicate glass vessel which has a retro look and feel about it. If you haven’t been able to get Prada Infusion d’Iris out of your head it is .....
- Yummy 3 Minute Ice Coffee RecipeI have always loved ice coffee but find it prohibitively expensive in the coffee shops. There are plenty of ice coffee recipes online but many are too time-consuming to bother with, advising you to brew the coffee for 18 hours with mint leaves or add an array of ingredients which you probably don’t already have. That was my inspiration behind this 3 minute ice coffee recipe. The following recipe is for a basic ice coffee but of course you can jazz it up however you wish, adding syrups, sprinkles and cream on top, a shot of liqueur or whatever tickles your taste buds today. Flavored Syrups for this 3 Minute Ice Coffee Recipe I have a .....
- Homemade Pizza on French BreadPizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good! The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza .....
- Luxurious Irish Cream ShakeThis Irish cream shake is so good and it is really quick to make too. Brew some strong coffee and let it cool down, then put it in the blender with Bailey’s, ice cream and coconut milk to make this thick, creamy shake. Ideal for St Patrick’s Day or just whenever you want to spoil yourself with a wonderful treat, this Irish cream shake always goes down well, and the flavor is amazing. This Irish cream shake recipe serves 2 people but it is easy enough to double or triple the recipe if you are serving more. If you want, you may top the shake with whipped cream and chocolate curls for a nice presentation, else you can serve smaller .....
- Quick ‘n Easy Lemon and Lime SalmonThis is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch. Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old .....
- White Food Recipes for After Teeth WhiteningHaving your teeth professionally whitened is the best way to get that gorgeous pearly shade without breaking the bank on veneers or another expensive treatment. The process itself is usually painless although your teeth might be a little sensitive afterwards. You will need white food recipes for after teeth whitening for a couple of days. Even though it’s possible to fashion a menu from the list of ‘allowed’ white foods it’s helpful to have some fresh ideas to keep things interesting! Read on to learn what you can eat after teeth whitening, what you must avoid after teeth whitening, and some more teeth whitening .....