Authentic Pasta con le Sarde Recipe
Pasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal.
There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there.
When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe
Make this pasta con le sarde whenever you want, but I would recommend March to September as the ideal window just because that’s the best time to get harvested wild fennel and fresh sardines at the market. Prepare the dish then add some toasted breadcrumbs to finish it off. You might want to use macaroni rather than bucatini or spaghetti, and in fact that would be more traditional in Sicily.
Our pasta con le sarde recipe uses bucatini pasta but you can swap some or all of the pasta for vegetti or voodles, otherwise known as julienne-cut vegetable strips. These have a shorter cooking time and will add more color to the dish while keeping the carb and calorie count down. The choice is yours, but consider making it an authentic pasta con le sarde first, so you can taste it how it is made in Sicily, Italy, then experiment the next time you make it perhaps.
History of the Pasta con le Sarde Recipe
Sicilian food is well worth discovering because it offers a unique flavor. Perhaps you are more familiar with Sicilian pizza when it comes to Sicilian cuisine, or even involtini of thinly pounded swordfish with a caper and semolina breadcrumb filling, or pasta with artichokes with anchovies and pasta sauce. This cuisine offers plenty of highly flavored delicacies.
The delicious sardine and wild fennel dish known as a pasta con le sarde recipe is a great recipe to sum up this cuisine, offering a harmonious blend of aromatic ingredients and textures.
The salty flavor of the sardines is typically Mediterranean, while the slight bitterness of the fennel is a good contrast. Currants or raisins add sweetness while nuts add crunch to this pasta con le sarde recipe, then you have the fragrant saffron in there too, so all in all this is a dish of contrasts.
The Arab General Eufemio conquered Sicily and wanted to feed his troops with something tasty and satisfying, which is how pasta le sarde was created. The saffron and pine nuts were the Arab touch that combined with local Italian ingredients to balance it all out. The sauce does not cling to the pasta like other sauces, which is why some people put the dish in the oven for a few minutes at the end, to finish cooking the pasta and also to encourage the sauce to stick better.
Keep Your Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Traditional for the Best Results
Stick to the original pasta con le sarde recipe and you will be pleased you did. Although some people like to swap the currants for bolder-tasting raisins or add extra nuts, or even dump half a jar of tomato sauce in there, I implore you to make it the original way, at least the first time, just so you can appreciate the incredible balance.
Pasta con le sarde is not topped with cheese, which is the norm with pasta and fish recipes, but crushed almonds and/or toasted breadcrumbs on top work beautifully. Fresh whole sardines are used as a topping in some variations of the dish.
Pasta con le Sarde is Not Such a Well Known Recipe
So if this dish is so good how come it’s not more popular outside of Italy? The fact of the matter is not all the ingredients are widely available. Can you get wild fennel at your local market, or fresh sardines? Not everyone can, at least not during the cooler months of the year.
Where to Get the Fennel and Sardines
You can pick your own wild fennel in southern California all year except the winter, and you can also pick it up from some New York greengrocers. Even if you can’t though, try regular fennel and perhaps add some fennel seeds and dill, and you can still make a very good pasta con le sarde recipe.
If you can’t get fresh sardines, well-drained canned ones which have been packed in oil are probably a better bet than thawed ones which have lots a lot of their flavor and texture. There is another dish though called pasta con le sarde a mare which is sardine-free. The name of the dish translates to ‘pasta with sardines at sea’.
- ½ cup (75g) currants
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- ¼ cup (45g) rinsed capers
- 2 lbs (900g) fresh sardines or 1 lb (450g) canned sardines
- 1 lb (450g) bucatini pasta
- ½ cup (45g) unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup (125 ml) plus 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) fennel
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seeds
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup (70g) toasted pine nuts
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Finely chop the fennel bulb, and chop the fronds.
- Trim and de-bone the fresh sardines – you should get about 1¼ pounds (560 grams).
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Mix the currants with the wine and red pepper flakes, and set to one side.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet, then add the breadcrumbs.
- Cook, stirring, until they are golden brown.
- Transfer them to a bowl, then stir in a couple tablespoons of oil and set to one side.
- Heat ½ cup of olive oil in a heavy skillet over a low-moderate heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds, and fennel bulb, plus a little salt.
- Cook for 25 minutes until the fennel is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sardines and wine mixture, using a fork to break the sardines into pieces.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add some salt to the boiling water, enough to give it a salty flavor.
- Boil the pasta for 8 minutes or until al dente, then drain it.
- Return the pasta to the pot and have the heat on low.
- Fold in the sardine and fennel mixture, then 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Add ¾ of the fennel fronds, capers and pine nuts.
- Stir in ¼ of the breadcrumbs, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the mixture between 4 warmed serving plates.
- Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs and fennel fronds on top.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Anchovy and Melon Salad RecipeThis anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe? Aromatic Healthy Melon Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing......
- Wonton Soup RecipesThere are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup. The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer. One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this .....
- Kitchen Cookware Every Home Cook NeedsKitchen cookware means different kinds of pots and pans which you use for different things. Some cookware items can be substituted for things you don’t have and still do the job. You can get stainless steel cookware, induction cookware, professional cookware, extra safe cookware and Indian cookware including Benglali cookware to improve your culinary experience. Choose from cookware in different sizes and made of different materials, such as glass, aluminium, steel etc. Some materials are better than others for different purposes. Before buying any kitchen cookware though, you should consider a few things. Budget First of all, what is .....
- Gorgeous Kitchen Accessories for Every TasteMost people have more technology in their kitchens than in any other room and these items are very useful for preparing all kinds of meals. Cooking is a lot of fun and time-saving appliances, gadgets and kitchen accessories make short work of cooking. Having an attractive kitchen is half the fun too and whether you are looking for retro red kitchen accessories, useful cheap kitchen accessories or something to suit your individual tastes, there is certainly plenty for you to choose from. Cooking is a stress reducer and sadly many people rely on quick, easy meal recipes rather than focus on making good quality food. Kitchen gadgets cut down on .....
- 1940s Kitchen StyleRetro kitchens are becoming more popular at the moment and it is a lot of fun to redecorate in the style of a certain era. 1940s style kitchens are particularly fun to create. Glass knobs, painted kitchen cabinets and vintage linens can be combined with modern appliances, for a functional and nice looking themed kitchen. You will not have to spend much money to get a 40s themed kitchen full of gorgeous 1940s kitchen style. Here are some good ideas to start you off – Lighting For an authentic 1940s style kitchen, try to keep the lighting simple. You can get wall sconces or vintage ceiling lights for an authentic look. You should add in .....
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....
- Different Types of Glassware and StemwareThe word ‘glassware’ refers to tableware made from glass, including flatware, cutlery, drinkware and dishes which are set on the table before a meal. Glassware can also be used for cooking meals, such as Pyrex dishes. There are many different types of glassware to choose from. Most glasses to drink from are either flat bottomed, tumblers, footed or stemware. You can also get yard beer glasses which are tall, conical glasses for beer which have a round base. Buy What You Personally Like Different people have their own tastes in glassware so it’s good there are lots of different types of glassware to choose from. I love those .....
- Luxurious Irish Cream ShakeThis Irish cream shake is so good and it is really quick to make too. Brew some strong coffee and let it cool down, then put it in the blender with Bailey’s, ice cream and coconut milk to make this thick, creamy shake. Ideal for St Patrick’s Day or just whenever you want to spoil yourself with a wonderful treat, this Irish cream shake always goes down well, and the flavor is amazing. This Irish cream shake recipe serves 2 people but it is easy enough to double or triple the recipe if you are serving more. If you want, you may top the shake with whipped cream and chocolate curls for a nice presentation, else you can serve smaller .....
- Easy Pork and Ginger WontonsChinese recipes have been used for generations and have slowly been adapted to the Western world. However, if you want authentic, healthy meals, this cuisine is perfect. Try these easy pork and ginger wontons and you will see just how delicious Chinese food can be. There are many different recipes available to cater to your taste and budget. Ingredients need to be fresh, ensuring that all of the nutrients are locked inside the meal. There are ingredients which are chosen for every Chinese recipe, to enhance the flavors and produce the ideal texture. Vegetables are a huge part of these recipes, and you will find that many different forms can .....
- Which Dishes to MakeDeciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail? If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. .....