Potato Wrapped Fish Filets
This potato wrapped fish filets recipe is something which is easy enough for the home cook to master but will give professional results. If you love fish and potatoes, why not combine them to make this delicious recipe?
Whether you are used to tasty stuffed squid recipes and other seafood dishes, or not, you will love this. The potatoes need to be thin enough to wrap around the fish, although you can choose any type of potatoes and any type of fish.
Perhaps you love the big flakes cod offers, the economical price of basa fish or tilapia, or the distinctive flavor of salmon. Whichever makes your mouth water would be an ideal candidate for this potato wrapped fish filets recipe, so take your pick.
Potato Wrapped Fish Filets: Make it Unique
Make this your own and pick out some great side dishes to serve alongside, such as asparagus, spinach or even your favorite green salad recipe.
You can also adapt the recipe, perhaps adding some cheese between the potatoes and fish, or spicing things up with some chili powder.
Fresh parsley is also great, or you can keep the recipe simple but serve a creamy sauce on the side. The possibilities are endless and limited only by your imagination and creativity in the kitchen.
Fish Wrapped in Potatoes
This potato wrapped fish filets recipe is so simple and all you need is fish (choose any firm white firm like cod, tilapia, haddock or catfish), potatoes and a little oil, salt and pepper. Perhaps make it simply the first time then next time experiment by adding different seasonings or maybe some cheese?
If the potatoes do not seem to stick to the fish, ensure your rectangle is large enough. If it is, then just make sure the fish is tightly wrapped and chill the potato wrapped fish for half an hour to get it stickier. Once it is in the hot oil this potato wrapped fish filets recipe will hold together just fine.
You might wish to serve this potato wrapped fish recipe with poached asparagus or what about sauteing some garlic and spinach until the spinach wilts? That would be nice. You can use your mandoline to cut the garlic thinly too!
- 6 firm whitefish fillets - each about ½ to ¾ inch thick and 4 oz in weight
- 4 unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes
- A splash of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Pat the fish dry and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Place a big sheet of parchment paper on the countertop.
- Scrub the potatoes then cut each one in half lengthwise (don't peel them).
- Using a V-slicer or mandoline, slice each potato half very thinly.
- Arrange 5 or 6 potato slices on the parchment in a row, allowing the long sides to overlap.
- Make another row which overlaps short ends first, so you have a 5 by 6 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the rectangle then put a fish filet across the overlapped short end slices.
- Fold the sides over the fish to make a package.
- Press so it sticks and sprinkle salt and pepper over it.
- Repeat with the rest of the fish and potatoes.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in each of 2 skillets over a moderate to high heat.
- Arrange 3 wrapped fish filets seam side down, in each skillet.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until golden on the bottom.
- Turn and cook for another couple of minutes or until the fish is opaque in the center.
- If you only have one skillet you can make the first batch, keep them warm in a low oven, then do the rest (or just halve the recipe if you are only feeding 3 people!)
Kyocera Double Edged Mandolin Slicer
This is one of the highest ranked mandolines on Amazon and it cuts so fast! The sharp blade will give you paper thin slices so it is perfect for slicing potatoes, beet, apples or another kind of fruit or vegetable, and the double-edged ceramic materials mean it will last for years. Try it out on this potato wrapped fish filets dish.
This mandoline is so versatile and you can cut potatoes paper thin, or garlic, onions, apples, or anything else you like! There are various mandolines on the market these days, since they are so versatile and handy, but the Kyocera mandoline always gets a great score in mandoline reviews which is why it is the perfect choice for home cooks. Forget the $5 mandolines which fall apart the first time you use them and invest in this one. You won’t regret it.
Potato Wrapped Fish Filets: Different Types of Potatoes
Potatoes are an ingredient that everyone uses on a day to day basis; however, not that many people know that there are different types of potatoes available. Far too often shoppers will grab the cheapest bag of potatoes, and not realize that this will affect the way that the meal tastes. By taking the time to choose the right variety of potato, you will enhance your recipe. You will be able to find fluffy, waxy and floury potatoes, all of which taste different and have a variety of consistencies. Waxy potatoes are moister, and remain firm for longer, making them ideal for salads. Floury potatoes are perfect for mashing, and produce a light fluffy mashed potato for you to enjoy. I like using smooth waxy ones for potato wrapped fish filets.
There are also several different colors of potatoes, and some recipes will ask for a specific color to be included. If you need red potatoes, you should choose Norland or Russets, which are ideal for boiling, steaming, roasting and mashing. Yellow potatoes are the most popular variety can be found in many shops. Regardless of the variety of potato that you choose to include in your recipe they are a fantastic addition to your diet.
Stainless Steel Fish Scaler
Always Handy to Have
Has your other half been out fishing and dumped a load of fresh fish on your kitchen table? Well get him to gut them and do the yucky bits but you can take the scales off yourself quickly and easily with a fish scaler.
And the good news is they are so cheap and will make prepping this potato wrapped fish filets recipe a breeze.
This scaler is simple yet functional. Make of stainless steel and measuring 9.5 inches, this fish scaler is made by Winco who always provide good quality gadgets and utensils.
Fish that you purchase in the store should already be scaled but if you have a keen fisherman at home then you will want to de-scale the fish with the minimum of fuss, and that is why the stainless steel fish scaler is perfect.
Already have one? This makes a great gift for anyone who likes to fish or who enjoys preparing fresh seafood such as this potato wrapped fish filets recipe.
Image Credit: Jlastras, on Flickr
Some More Hot Content For You
- Moussaka with Potatoes and EggplantI have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too. Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce. Origin of the Word Moussaka The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish .....
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- What to Eat with Type 2 DiabetesType 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important. Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin. In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly .....
- How to Stuff Calamari TubesLearning how to stuff squid is very easy, and although calamari is also nice cut into rings, breaded and deep fried, it is especially good stuffed. You can choose from a wide range of stuffed squid recipes and use whichever ingredients you happen to like. Knowing how to stuff calamari tubes is useful to know, just because there are so many great recipes for stuffed calamari out there. You can buy the bodies (tubes) already cleaned or you can clean them out yourself. I usually buy the frozen tubes because they are very cheap where we live, but if you have a whole squid you also get the lovely tentacles which are nice to use in your stuffed .....
- Eating Authentic Mexican Food in MexicoI think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal. And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing! .....
- Tips for Great WontonsOne of the best tips for great wontons is just to make them. Pick out an easy wonton recipe, perhaps a wonton soup or steamed wontons, and make them. Try your best and you will find it easy, maybe not the first time you try but don’t worry, you’ll soon be a pro! Your first batch might not look perfect. In fact, they might be a bit messy, since nobody learns to fold the perfect-looking wonton on their first attempt but, like with most things, the more practice you have the better you will become. Wonderful Wonton Soup Wonton soup is especially great for starting off with, because you can use a broth mix or some stock you have made .....
- Carisma Potatoes – Diabetic Low GI PotatoesWhen my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes! Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called .....
- Very Easy Starter RecipesThere are easy starter recipes, or appetizers, for every season and occasion – something for every palate and every diet. So what are you going to make for your starter recipe? You might already be considering meat, fish, international appetizers or something else, or you might just be looking for some ideas and inspiration. There are lots of different easy starter recipes which are suitable for everyone from beginner cooks right up to seasoned chefs. If you want some tips on making the best easy starter recipes for any event, have a look at our articles or if you already have some idea of what you want to make you can browse our .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- Chinese Napa Cabbage Side DishI made this Chinese Napa cabbage side dish recipe using half a cabbage and half the ingredients, and it made a great dish for 2 people. I made soy sauce chicken to go with it. To make that, you need to slice chicken breast in half across the width, then soak it in soy sauce for an hour and cook on the griddle until cooked through. The 2 dishes together were lovely. You could also serve noodles or rice on the side but I didn’t. This recipe is very easy and it really brings out the Chinese Napa cabbage side dish flavor. Even if you aren’t sure whether or not you are a cabbage fan, this dish is worth trying, and cooking cabbage in .....