Smoked Salmon Pizza with Capers
If you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust.
The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and needs to chill overnight. If you are short of time or not bothered about making the dough from scratch, you can either buy dough and roll it out yourself or use a readymade pizza crust. Either of these would be fine and nobody has to know you didn’t make your own dough. Roll out some readymade dough into a ‘non quite symmetrical’ shape and it’ll look homemade!
The ingredients for the topping are adaptable, so swap the red onion for white if you want, leave off the capers if you aren’t keen, or swap them for anchovies for extra seafood appeal. You can also add some thinly sliced mushrooms, pineapple chunks or anything else you want to put on there, or keep it simple with just the salmon and capers if you would rather.
Smoked Salmon Pizza with Capers: Recipe Adaptations
The dill is also optional and you can leave it off or use dried oregano instead if you would rather. Another serving idea is to scatter arugula over the pizza just before serving.
Slice the smoked salmon pizza with capers into 6 pieces to serve, 8 if you want smaller slices or 4 if you are feeding a hungry crowd. The finished pizza is going to be 14 inches (35cm) in diameter, so you can work out how much you want to eat. Not got any smoked salmon in the refrigerator? How about an unusual Turkish pizza recipe instead?
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water (approx 105°F)
- 4 thin red onion slices in rings
- 3 oz (85g) thinly smoked cold-smoked salmon
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup (3 oz/85g) softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups (6 oz/170g) bread flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Cooking spray, as needed
- Mix the water and yeast in the bowl of a mixer with dough hook attached and let it stand for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add the oil and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Weigh or spoon the flour into dry measuring cups and level it off using a knife.
- Sprinkle the flour over the yeast mixture and mix for a couple minutes or until a soft dough has formed.
- Put your dough in a big bowl coated with cooking spray and cover the surface of the dough with cooking spray coated plastic wrap.
- Chill for 24 hours.
- Position an oven rack low down in the oven.
- Put a pizza stone on the lowest rack.
- Preheat the oven to 550°F and preheat the pizza stone half an hour before baking the dough.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it stand, covered, for an hour or until the dough comes to room temperature.
- Punch it down then roll it out to a very thin 14 inch round on a floured baking sheet, without raised edges which is sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Crimp the edges to make a ½ inch border.
- Pierce the dough a few times with a fork.
- Slide the dough on to the preheated pizza stone and bake for 4 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and spread the cheese evenly over the crust.
- Arrange the onion over the cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes more or until the crust is golden brown then top evenly with salmon and capers, and sprinkle with the dill if using.
- Serve this smoked salmon pizza with capers immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Ham and Cheese French ToastFrench toast, also known as eggy bread, makes a great breakfast. The bread is usually dipped in beaten eggs and then pan-fried until golden brown. This recipe takes the classic French toast to the next level, however, by adding ham and cheese to the mix. This is known as a Monte Cristo sandwich, and can be pan-fried or deep-fried. Ham and cheese French toast is something kids love, and so do the grownups! Serve ham and cheese French toast with some ketchup for breakfast, brunch or a hot snack at any time, and enjoy the wonderful flavors. This is a snack which is sure to keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. Serve these sandwiches .....
- Ideas for StartersYou might already have some thoughts in your mind of which recipe you want to make, and some clever ideas for starters for your next meal or dinner party. Perhaps you fancy making a hot chicken or beef dish. What about chicken sate, mini beef rissoles or something spicy? Maybe you were thinking about making vol-au-vents or a fruity salad, in which case they are good, wholesome and classic dishes too. But what about if you are totally stuck for inspiration and starter ideas? The best way to decide which ideas for starters to go with is to ask yourself a few questions. If you don’t already have ideas for starters, think about your .....
- Best Toaster Oven Under $30Buy the best toaster oven for less than $30 and be assured it will be perfect quality. Perhaps you have read some reviews of toaster ovens or maybe you are just thinking about adding one to your kitchen. Non stick cookware toasters review articles are essential to provide you with the information you need to decide if this toaster will suit your needs and budget. Toaster ovens are cheaper to run than large ones, so you can save money if you are just cooking or reheating a small amount of food. They will not overheat your kitchen the way large ovens can either, which is another benefit of the best toaster oven......
- Deep-Fried Chicken Dim SumThis tempting deep-fried chicken dim sum recipe serves a crowd, and you can double it too. It is easy to make if you are methodical, mixing the filling together, then distributing it between the wrappers and working in batches. The crunchy hot chicken treats can be served alone or with your favorite sauce. Why We Love Deep-Fried Chicken Dim Sum, Actually ALL Dim Sum! Known as dim sum in Chinese, appetizers in the Western world, or tapas in Spain, small snacks will always have a place in our hearts and on our tables. They can precede a main dish or just be served as a snack. Dim sum, or Chinese appetizers, are versatile, tasty and just so .....
- Types of Chinese TeaWhy not pair your crispy fried crab Rangoon wontons with a refreshing cup of Chinese tea? There are many types of Chinese tea to choose from so you can quench your thirst and enjoy the delicious, fragrant taste. Chinese tea has a long history and the tea-drinking ritual has been around for over 1000 years. The Chinese were the first to discover the flavor of tea leaves, and tea is an integral part of daily life in China. Chinese tea used to be divided into four grades, depending on quality, and the Chinese tea culture was developed a lot during the Ming and Song dynasties, popularizing it in neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan. .....
- Wonderful Weightwatchers RecipesWeightWatchers is certainly a diet to consider if you want to lose a few pounds. This company was founded by Jean Nidetch from Brooklyn in the 1960s. Today WeightWatchers is international and operates in more than thirty countries. There are lots of WeightWatchers recipes you can make, most of which are really tasty. This diet program includes regular meetings, group support and a points system to calculate how much food you can eat in order to shed excess weight. Weightwatchers Recipes and Weight Watchers Points Each type of food or beverage has a point value and you first calculate how many points you are allowed per day (depending on your .....
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- Quick Thai Green Curry with ChickenThai curries are fragrant and aromatic, and this quick Thai green curry with chicken is no exception. Even though it can be on the table in under half an hour, the flavor is authentic and wonderful. You are not going to be missing anything by making a speedy curry over one that has to be cooked for longer, or takes longer to make. Quick Thai Green Curry with Chicken: Such Great Flavors The following quick Thai green curry with chicken dish is based on chicken breasts and green curry paste, and it also features garlic, ginger and lime juice for aromatic flavor, mushrooms and mushroom soup. Although Thai curry is usually made with coconut .....
- 4G Internet PhonesAre 4G phone reviews accurate or not so accurate? Before you choose a new 4G phone read the reviews. Checking a 4G internet phones review will ensure that you have all of the relevant information that you need before purchasing the phone. 4G is perhaps not what everone wants but if you want to move with the times and have a super-quick phone and internet connection it is definitely the way forwards. 4G Internet Phones: New Technology 4G internet phones have been promoted as the new technology, which will change the way that people use the Internet. Mobile telecommunications will be altered, and services that seemed too extreme will be .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings......