Smoked Salmon Pizza with Capers
If you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust.
The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and needs to chill overnight. If you are short of time or not bothered about making the dough from scratch, you can either buy dough and roll it out yourself or use a readymade pizza crust. Either of these would be fine and nobody has to know you didn’t make your own dough. Roll out some readymade dough into a ‘non quite symmetrical’ shape and it’ll look homemade!
The ingredients for the topping are adaptable, so swap the red onion for white if you want, leave off the capers if you aren’t keen, or swap them for anchovies for extra seafood appeal. You can also add some thinly sliced mushrooms, pineapple chunks or anything else you want to put on there, or keep it simple with just the salmon and capers if you would rather.
Smoked Salmon Pizza with Capers: Recipe Adaptations
The dill is also optional and you can leave it off or use dried oregano instead if you would rather. Another serving idea is to scatter arugula over the pizza just before serving.
Slice the smoked salmon pizza with capers into 6 pieces to serve, 8 if you want smaller slices or 4 if you are feeding a hungry crowd. The finished pizza is going to be 14 inches (35cm) in diameter, so you can work out how much you want to eat. Not got any smoked salmon in the refrigerator? How about an unusual Turkish pizza recipe instead?
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water (approx 105°F)
- 4 thin red onion slices in rings
- 3 oz (85g) thinly smoked cold-smoked salmon
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup (3 oz/85g) softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups (6 oz/170g) bread flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Cooking spray, as needed
- Mix the water and yeast in the bowl of a mixer with dough hook attached and let it stand for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add the oil and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Weigh or spoon the flour into dry measuring cups and level it off using a knife.
- Sprinkle the flour over the yeast mixture and mix for a couple minutes or until a soft dough has formed.
- Put your dough in a big bowl coated with cooking spray and cover the surface of the dough with cooking spray coated plastic wrap.
- Chill for 24 hours.
- Position an oven rack low down in the oven.
- Put a pizza stone on the lowest rack.
- Preheat the oven to 550°F and preheat the pizza stone half an hour before baking the dough.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it stand, covered, for an hour or until the dough comes to room temperature.
- Punch it down then roll it out to a very thin 14 inch round on a floured baking sheet, without raised edges which is sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Crimp the edges to make a ½ inch border.
- Pierce the dough a few times with a fork.
- Slide the dough on to the preheated pizza stone and bake for 4 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and spread the cheese evenly over the crust.
- Arrange the onion over the cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes more or until the crust is golden brown then top evenly with salmon and capers, and sprinkle with the dill if using.
- Serve this smoked salmon pizza with capers immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- The Atlantic Rally for CruisersThe Atlantic Rally for Cruisers is incredible and attracts thousands of spectators every year as it leaves Las Palmas in Gran Canaria for Rodney Bay, Santa Lucia. Every year since 1986, this amazing transatlantic rally has set sail and crossed the 2700 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean. The event begins in November and attracts over 200 yachts from all over the world. The ARC, as the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been named, is considered to be the most successful sailing event in the world and attracts amateurs as well as professionals from over 20 different countries. For many keen sailors this opportunity is a once in a lifetime dream. .....
- Easy Cobb Salad RecipeCobb salad is one of my favorite salad recipes, well that and Caesar salad. It is not the quickest salad to make because there is cooking and chopping involved, but the recipe is well worth making because it is so good! I love this easy Cobb salad recipe and make it a lot. Cobb salad is also a low-carb salad recipe. The distinctive look of Cobb salad is really appetizing because the ingredients are arranged in rows. Traditionally, a red wine vinegar dressing is served with Cobb salad, but I like to offer a creamy dressing on the side too, in case anyone wants some of that instead. It is easy to remember the ingredients in this easy Cobb .....
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....
- Help for Yeast Infections During PregnancyYeast infections are incredibly common, and women of all ages can suffer with this irritating problem, and throughout pregnancy it can get far worse. These infections are never fun but yeast infections during pregnancy can be extra rough. Many women will discover that a yeast infection is common when they are expecting a baby. Therefore, seeking a solution to the problem is essential, and will ensure that your pregnancy is comfortable. Your body is an amazing thing, and there are several different factors that can contribute to you suffering with yeast infections during pregnancy. The fungus Candida is present in your body at all times, .....
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison BurgersIf you are in the mood for a change from your usual homemade burger recipes, why not consider a venison burger recipe instead? These blue cheese stuffed venison burgers are very special indeed. Venison is very lean which means it is best to add some fat to the patties. This ensures they will come out juicy and succulent instead of dry. Some people add bacon trimmings to their blue cheese stuffed venison burgers while others will ask their butcher for any pork fat they don’t need (they might give it to you free!) Venison is very tasty and doesn’t need to be seasoned a lot. A little salt and black pepper along with the meat (and .....
- Summer Fruits Ice TeaThis lovely summer fruits ice tea combines tea, honey and fruit with mint leaves. The result is refreshing and delicious. If you wish to make an alcoholic version, add a splash of Cointreau, Limoncello, Chambord or fruit brandy to the drink. If you are doing this and there are kids around, don’t forget to mark the pitcher so you know it’s for the grownup only. This tasty drink is tasty, refreshing and free from additives. A lot of commercial teas contain lots of added sugar, as well as artificial colors and flavorings, and those are all things we could happily do without. Feel free to tinker with the following recipe. Try adding .....
- Potato Pierogi RecipeThis potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular. Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, .....
- Elizabethan Chicken in Cream SauceThis delicious Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce recipe features chicken breasts, a lean and healthy choice, as well as onion and chicken stock for the base. The real appeal comes when you add grapes and sour cream, transforming this dish into something fruity and unique. Nutmeg and cider vinegar add a spicy twist to the flavor, and this may be served on rice or on a bed of mashed potatoes. Like most of our recipes, this Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce is pleasingly simple to put together. First you need to brown the chicken and then just keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish. Golden pan-fried onions are then simmered with .....
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....