Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp
This is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up.
More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp
Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with prik nam pla, which is chilies and fish sauce combined together. Use the following recipe as a starting point, adjusting the ingredients to match what you happen to have available.
It is always best to use day-old cooked rice to make your Thai fried rice with shrimp, because freshly cooked rice is too moist and will steam instead of fry. If that isn’t possible though, just ensure your rice has time to cool down because this will dry it out quite well.
If you want to make your own prik nam pla (fish and chili sauce) to serve with this (and you really should, for an authentic Thai rice flavor!) then you should put 3 tablespoons of fish sauce in a bowl and add 4 sliced Thai chilies. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime if you like, although the lime is optional.
More Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp Tips
Some restaurants use lime juice and others use just the fish sauce and chilies. Serve this, plus a couple lime wedges, alongside your Thai fried rice recipe. The following recipe serves one person but double it or triple it if there are more of you. If you have leftover chicken instead of shrimp, use that. If you want to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and pineapple, then add the fruit. Go ahead and make this your own.
- 6 peeled, tail-on shrimp
- Large handful cold cooked rice (day-old is best)
- ¼ diced white onion
- 2 diced green onions
- 1 egg
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- Small handful, diagonally sliced broccoli, snow peas or other veg
- Pinch of white sugar (optional)
- Oil, for frying
- Heat a wok over a medium-high heat on the stove and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Stir-fry the garlic in there for 15 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add about ⅓ of the rice and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Push the rice up one side of the wok.
- Crack the egg into the empty side.
- Cook the egg, using a chopstick to break it up, and then mix it into the rice and shrimp.
- Keep stir-frying until the egg is fully cooked, then stir in the remaining rice.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar if using.
- Mix it in, and cook a little longer.
- Add the broccoli or whatever you are using, and white onion, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the green onions and cook for 15 seconds.
- Serve with a lime wedge and some chili/fish sauce mixture on the side.
- You might like to grind some black pepper over just before serving too.
Photo by: Samuiblue, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Cook Quail EggsA quail egg can be compared to a chicken egg except of course it’s a lot smaller! Because of this size, quail eggs make a nice garnish, an elegant garnish even, for all kinds of meat, poultry, fish or vegetable-based dishes. As you might imagine, it doesn’t take as long to cook this tiny egg as it would to cook a chicken egg. But knowing how to cook quail eggs is, of course, vital. How Long to Cook Quail Eggs? These pretty little speckled eggs will be soft-boiled in 2 1/2 minutes, medium-boiled in 3 minutes or hard-boiled in 4 minutes. Compare that to chicken’s eggs which can take up to 15 minutes to hard-boil and you will .....
- Bean Salad with Mozzarella RecipeThis bean salad with mozzarella recipe is a very tasty vegetarian appetizer which is perfect for non-carnivores. The salad vegetables taste wonderful with the mixed beans and the cilantro adds a fragrant finish. This is a great starter recipe to have before a Mexican or Tex-Mex meal. More about Beans Beans are filling but they are also very nutritious, which is one reason many non-meat-eaters seem to enjoy them. You can often mix and match beans, swapping kidney beans for cannellini beans, or black-eyed peas for chickpeas, as the mood takes you, and you can do the same with this recipe. Chickpeas are suggested but swap those for another kind .....
- Spinach Chickpea Side Dish for an Indian MealThis is a quick and easy side dish which is very low in calories but goes perfectly alongside any Indian meal, especially if it is something creamy. Try this spinach chickpea side dish with a curry or even over rice. Often, with Indian food, you will want to contrast your dishes, so for example if you have something creamy you will want something very savory or even acidic to go alongside it. If you are serving something spicy, you might wish to serve something sweet with it. Contrasts make the whole meal harmonious and well balanced. The following spinach chickpea side dish recipe features spinach and chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, as they .....
- Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood LoversCut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe. This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor. Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw. Canned crab is an economical .....
- Mac Makeup BrushesMac makeup brushes are used by professionals all over the world and if you want to buy discount Mac makeup brushes that is completely possible. This brand is really famous and offers high quality. Brush Choices Mac makeup brushes review websites will provide you with all of the information you need to determine which brushes you want to purchase. There are several different brushes to choose, which will ensure that you can apply your makeup with ease. All of the makeup brushes are made from top quality materials, ensuring that you are buying only the best. Some More Hot Content For You Bling Bling iPad Cases Tender Oven Baked Short Ribs .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....
- The Atlantic Rally for CruisersThe Atlantic Rally for Cruisers is incredible and attracts thousands of spectators every year as it leaves Las Palmas in Gran Canaria for Rodney Bay, Santa Lucia. Every year since 1986, this amazing transatlantic rally has set sail and crossed the 2700 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean. The event begins in November and attracts over 200 yachts from all over the world. The ARC, as the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been named, is considered to be the most successful sailing event in the world and attracts amateurs as well as professionals from over 20 different countries. For many keen sailors this opportunity is a once in a lifetime dream. .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Jamie Oliver Superfood Salad CopycatMy husband and I had lunch at the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Cardiff last year and it was really good! I had the avocado superfood salad with smoked salmon and it really made an impression. I loved all those flavors and it looked gorgeous too. I wanted to recreate it so I came up with this Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe. It’s not identical but pretty close! What’s in It? The Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat salad is made with avocado, beets, grains, kale, toasted seeds, and a tasty harissa and lemon dressing. On top of that you have avocado, pomegranate and poppy seeds. The following recipe is a copycat attempt, .....
- Rice Stuffed Zucchini with Veggies and WalnutsThis is a great recipe for stuffed zucchini, or stuffed courgette if that’s what it’s known as in your neck of the woods. You can cut your zucchini in to ‘boats’ or lengthwise strips or into wide slices. Perhaps you can get mini zucchini, or 8-ball zucchini, in which case one of those makes one serving. For the filling we are using rice, vegetables and walnuts, along with some garlic, thyme and cheese for added flavor. Feel free to tweak any of the ingredients in this rice stuffed zucchini . Pecans would work in place of the walnuts, or you could sub parsley, basil or even mixed dried herbs for the thyme. First we are .....