Chorizo Stuffed Squid
This chorizo stuffed squid recipe really is good. The baby squid are stuffed with chorizo to make this Spanish inspired chorizo stuffed squid meal. The end result is simply amazing. Whether or not you have cooked squid before, you are sure to find this a relatively easy recipe to follow and get right.
Chorizo Stuffed Squid: Hmm, Fish and Meat Together?
Although using chorizo and squid in the same recipe sounds odd, it really is good and the chorizo adds a beautiful salty finish to the seafood. Have you ever tried bacon-wrapped fish or prosciutto-wrapped shrimp? Seriously, pork and fish do go together really well. I wasn’t convinced but then a friend of mine made bacon-wrapped cod filet and it was amazing. So I wanted to make chorizo stuffed squid and taste for myself.
You will need to snap toothpicks in half and soak them in water for half an hour before using them to close the squid pockets so they do not char. This recipe takes a while because you need to prepare each ingredient and of course stuff the squid, but it is well worth it. Homemade stuffed squid is always excellent.
Pan-roast the squid and the chorizo filling will soak up the amazing cooking juices. This chorizo stuffed squid really is a great dish and you can serve it with crusty bread and perhaps a glass of Rioja too. If you want to use squid to make something with an authentic Spanish flavor, this is a nice recipe to opt for. It is authentic and very tasty.
- 20 baby squid, tentacles removed and reserved
- 2 oz (50g) unsalted butter
- 1 oz (35g) tiny pickled capers
- 15 chopped sage leaves
- Zest of half a lemon
- 5 peeled and finely chopped spicy chorizo
- 3 peeled, inch-diced (2.5cm diced) potatoes
- 2 crushed garlic cloves with skin on
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper
- Knead the chopped chorizo to make a rough paste.
- Form a piece of this paste into a shape to fit the cavity in the squid.
- Fill each squid to ¾ full, pressing the filling down.
- Take care not to overfill the squids or they could well burst on cooking as the chorizo expands.
- Secure each squid tube with a toothpick half.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until they are tender then drain.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over a medium heat, add some olive oil, the crushed garlic cloves and potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over a moderate heat, tossing every now and then to crisp and caramelize the potatoes evenly.
- Heat another pan over a medium heat.
- Season the squid pockets and tentacles using salt and pepper.
- Add some oil to the pan and then add the squid.
- Cook for a couple minutes on each side until caramelized.
- Add the butter and sage and when these start to foam spoon the herb butter over the squid pockets and keep cooking them.
- The filling will feel firm to the touch when everything is fully cooked.
- Add the baby capers and lemon zest and take the pan off the heat.
- Arrange the potatoes and squid on plates and spoon over the pan juices, capers and lemon zest.
- Serve immediately.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Low Carb Steak Marinade RecipeSteak is a popular protein on low carb diets because it is nutritious, filling and versatile. You can marinate it, use a spice rub or sauce, grill, barbecue or pan-fry it, or prepare it in another way. Plain steak and vegetables can become a bit boring and tedious though, which is why knowing how to make an easy low carb steak marinade recipe can breathe new life into your evening meal, adding tasty, spicy accents. The following low carb steak marinade recipe is made with basil, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. You will need to let the steak soak in the marinade to soak up all the .....
- Spanish Paprika ChickenChicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully. What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and .....
- Which Dishes to MakeDeciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail? If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. .....
- Beautiful Pandora Charm Bracelet IdeasPretty much every girl and woman knows about Pandora charm bracelets, and there is no doubt these are an exciting piece of jewelry. You can choose from silver or gold, pick out the charms that mean something special to you, and change them whenever you like, perhaps considering green and red charms around Christmas time, romantic pink ones for Valentine’s, fun summer ones for the summer, and so on. There are lots of Pandora charm bracelet ideas regardless of your personal style. Perhaps you want to buy a baby-related charm when you have a child or another one. Let your Pandora charm bracelet tell the story of your life and give it .....
- Squid Cooking TipsCooking squid is not difficult and it is important to be aware of that. Too many cooks quit before they even begin, not knowing how straightforward this type of seafood is to prepare. Read the following squid cooking tips and find out how to prepare and cook this wonderful ‘fruit of the sea’. Step by Step Guide If you are faced with a whole squid the first thing you need to do is pull the tentacles away from the body. Reach up inside the body for the quill, which is going to feel like a shard of plastic. Pull this down, out of the squid, and throw it away. Rinse inside the ‘hood’ (squid body) with cold running water. .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....
- Best Vertigo Treatment to Stop the Room SpinningFirst things first, what is vertigo? To sum up, it is a dizzy feeling. If you have it, the room will seem to be spinning or moving. It can be linked to inner ear or eyesight disorders and the only way to get rid of it is to find the best vertigo treatment. Dizziness is something most of us experience now and then but vertigo is a feeling of spinning or tilting, a persistent sense of motion which you feel when there is nothing moving. How Does It Feel? Nausea, vomiting and/or sweating can accompany it, and in severe cases you can’t even walk down the street in a straight line because it feels like everything is moving or tilting. It .....
- Mediterranean Tapas PlatterIf you are looking for inspiration for quick and easy starter recipes, what about making a Mediterranean tapas platter? Tapas are great to nibble on and make a colourful and attractive starter recipe. For the best tapas recipe, choose a couple of different contrasting cheeses, some chorizo or salami, cherry tomatoes and olives. This mixture ensure you get plenty of color and diverse textures and flavors. Mediterranean Tapas Platter: Tasty Tapas Tips Choose any kind of olives you like for your Mediterranean tapas platter; black olives, green ones and stuffed ones are all good. Anchovies make nice tapas too, as do pickled onions, nuts, chopped .....
- How to Make Hamburgers on the StoveI love making homemade burgers, partly because they are really easy and partly because they taste so good. You will need some good quality hamburger meat if you want to make good quality burgers, and you can use pork, beef, chicken or a mixed meat. I like to use 80/20 (that is 80% lean, 20% fat) half pork, half beef, for a good juiciness and flavor. I often make hamburgers on the stove when it’s cold and I don’t want to stand over a grill outside in the rain! In the photo you can see I am cooking the burgers on a griddle which is like a square pan with ridges on. The ridges allow the fat to drain off the meat but they also make .....