Easy Cheese Stuffed Squid in Tomato Sauce
This squid is stuffed with an aromatic garlic, ricotta and Parmesan mixture, and then slowly braised in a delicious tomato sauce. Choose cheese stuffed squid in tomato sauce if you want to impress. This is a classic stuffed calamari recipe and the flavor is so good. Squid has to be cooked very fast or very slow, and in this recipe it is slowly cooked for about half an hour and then you should be able to slide a sharp knife through the squid easily. When you can do this, it is ready to serve.
The nicest way to stuff squid is to slice it into equal sized pieces and arrange them on a plate, so you can see the filling. You could just serve the squid whole but that might be a bit ungainly looking especially if you are using big squid tubes.
Cheese Stuffed Squid in Tomato Sauce Pairings: Satisfying Side Dish Ideas
Toss your favorite salad greens together to make the perfect side dish. Another idea is to serve avocado or other tasty vegetables. Some people like to serve a warm side dish, not a cold one, so consider corn on the cob or broccoli if you like.
Make this Cheese Stuffed Squid in Tomato Sauce Your Own
Feel free to tinker with the following cheese stuffed squid in tomato sauce recipe to make it to your taste. If you dislike anchovies, for example, just leave them out. If the sauce seems to lack saltiness because of this then just add a bit of salt.
Similarly, if you are in the mood for feta rather than Parmesan, simply make the swap. This recipe will feed 2 as a main dish, 4 to 6 as an appetizer, or perhaps 4 if you are going to have a large side dish with it.
- 1 egg
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1½ oz (50g) dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil, as needed
- ½ finely chopped onion
- 2 x 14oz (400g) cans diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (1/4 pint) fish stock
- 5 oz (130g) ricotta cheese
- 5 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 cleaned calamari tubes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 chopped anchovies
- Mix the egg, 1 crushed garlic clove, ricotta, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, 4 tablespoons of chopped parsley and seasonings together.
- Stuff the calamari tubes with the filling then skewer the ends with toothpicks. Heat a thin layer of oil in a pot and seal the squid on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- To make the sauce, add some oil to the pan and saute the rest of the garlic with the onion until soft.
- Add the tomatoes with ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) each of wine and stock, the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, remaining parsley, seasonings and anchovies. Mix well and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat down, return the squid to the pan, and cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and adding more wine and/or stock as needed.
- Spoon the sauce on to warmed plates, slice the stuffed squid and arrange it on top.
Some More Hot Content For You
- The Most Famous British StartersBritish food is considered by some non-Brits to be boring or stodgy. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Great British starter recipes include such delights as prawn cocktail, brown Windsor soup, cheese and tomato tartlets, homemade pate and more. Learn more about famous British starters and you will be able to rustle up all manner of delicious fare. In Wales you might find Welsh rarebit on the menu, which is basically grilled cheese on toast, but beer and Worcestershire sauce are used in the traditional recipe. Scottish food varies as widely as Scotland itself does but Scottish soups like cock-a-leekie and Scotch broth usually go .....
- Best Bling iPad CasesTake a look at these gorgeous covers and make your tablet really sparkle! iPad cases come in lots of styles but choosing ones with bling means your tablet will look incredible and who doesn’t love bling iPad cases? Choose from lots of different sparkly covers to jazz up your tablet and everyone will be jealous of it. Even if you are not sure what style you like, take a peek at some of the different designs on offer and perhaps you will find something you adore. Choose from various colors, styles and types of bling for your bling iPad cases, or pick out the perfect sparkly cover or case as a gift for someone in your family or friends .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings. Some More Hot Content For You Elegant Old Bay .....
- How to Make Vegetable OmeletThis recipe is your best friend if you want to make a perfect vegetable omelet, and this is a skill everyone should know. Learning how to make vegetable omelet is very easy and you can serve this for any meal. Omelets can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and this recipe makes enough for 2 servings. You will love the perfect flavor and texture this offers. How to Make Vegetable Omelet: Some Handy Tips If you want to cut the fat and calories, swap the butter for margarine and use skim milk. You can also use reduced-fat cheese in it. As for the vegetables, pretty much anything works. Tomatoes, mushrooms, green onion, fresh herbs and .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Sweet PeppersThese cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers are gorgeous and I often make them as a side dish. I like to use the long pointy red peppers, both because of their nice, sweet flavor, and also because of how they lie flat on the plate and don’t fall over. You can use bell peppers if you want, or even chilies if you have a taste for them. Roast these in the oven or broil them if you prefer. Keep an eye on them. You will be able to see when they are done. Tweak if You Wish It is perfectly possible to tweak this cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers recipe based on what you have. I have made these with just the peppers and the cream cheese before .....
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....
- Baked Alaska Recipe with Caramel SauceThis baked Alaska recipe with caramel sauce is one of my favorite desserts, teaming delicious, refreshing ice cream with perfect meringue. Here we are serving the baked Alaska with caramel sauce to make the dessert even more decadent. This dessert is served cold, and the meringue completely covers the ice cream inside, making it look like a big iceberg, hence the name. Although you can make individual baked Alaska desserts, we like to make one big ones, using a small ready-made chocolate sponge cake, topping that with 2 kinds of ice cream, and then adding the sweet, sticky meringue mixture. I bet you can’t wait to try this baked Alaska .....
- Hoisin Duck BriocheThis particular Hoisin duck brioche dish was inspired by a recent visit to Ruby, Exeter, where I enjoyed something very similar. Yep here I am dreaming of Ruby again! Well anyway the duck and hoisin are beautiful together, along with the cucumber, and although I am more used to enjoying this mixture in pancake wraps, I found the brioche really good with them, since brioche is naturally sweet and chewy, and just seemed to complement the hoisin duck flavors. What Goes with Hoisin Duck Brioche? I enjoyed this Hoisin duck brioche with a peanut butter wolf cocktail when I was at Ruby’s but you might prefer something else depending on what .....
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....