Elegant Squid with Pistachio and Lemon
This recipe is a little unusual, at least more unusual than most stuffed squid recipes. Not only does it look delicious but the tangy chili sauce is the perfect partner for the tender seafood, another great reason to prepare this fantastic dish. Squid with pistachio might be hard to imagine but believe me, it’s the stuff of dreams!
The squid is stuffed with a pistachio and lemon infused brown rice which is really filling, and the sauce can be served on the side, like you see in the picture, or you can drizzle it over the plates and arrange the squid slices on top, as you wish. If you want to change this recipe a bit you can use fresh breadcrumbs instead of the rice, since that would also be very nice in a squid with pistachio dish.
As well as the ingredients listed you will need some toothpicks to secure the squid before cooking. Remember to stuff them maximum 2 thirds full so they do not explode during cooking.
Well these squid with pistachio treats do not ‘explode’ exactly but the filling will leak out and look messy, so stick to the 2 thirds rule for the best results and thread a toothpick through the end (or 2 in a X shape) to keep the squid tube closed.
Squid with Pistachio: A Heady Mixture of Ingredients
To be honest this squid with pistachio is a fusion recipe, borrowing elements from a variety of cuisines. A lot of stuffed squid recipes are Greek or Spanish, since squid is very popular around the Mediterranean, but this one simply picks out a selection of tasty ingredients which harmonize beautifully to offer a sophisticated result. Forget about sticking to one cuisine and making something authentic to one particular region or country, and instead try something brand new, like this squid with pistachio recipe which is very different to a lot of other recipes for stuffed squid but equally tasty and satisfying.
- 2 squid tubes, 10 oz each
- ¾ cup brown rice
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ½ lemon
- 3 oz toasted pistachios
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- ½ bunch minced parsley
- ½ bunch minced cilantro
- ½ bunch minced dill weed
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 chopped red bell peppers
- 2 chopped yellow onions
- 1 sliced red chili pepper
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsps water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cook the rice with the lemon zest.
- Drain and cool for 45 minutes.
- Mix the rice, pistachios, parsley, salt, pepper, cilantro, dill weed and lemon juice.
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce (NOT the ¾ cup water) into a skillet.
- Cook over a high heat for 5 minutes then add the ¾ cup water and turn the heat down a bit.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and puree with hand whisk.
- Stuff the squid tubes ⅔ full with the rice stuffing and close the ends by threading with toothpicks.
- Put 2 tbsps of oil into the skillet you just made the sauce in (don't rinse it first) and heat over a medium-high heat.
- Cook the squid for 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Slice the stuffed squid into half inch (or slightly wider) pieces and serve with the sauce.
- Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Photo courtesy of Peiyi, on Flikr
Some More Hot Content For You
- Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian SausageThis delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead. Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you .....
- Choosing the Best Bathroom AccessoriesDecorating the bathroom is juggling the aesthetic with the functional. A good bathroom starts with the right floor and wall coverings and then you will need a toilet, basin, bath and perhaps a bidet. Adding the best bathroom accessories completes this room to perfection. A standalone shower is another option, depending on the size of your bathroom, and you can also choose bathmats, toilet brush holders, lighting and other bathroom accessories to make your bathroom stylish and comfortable. There are various styles you could go for, including a modern bathroom, a traditional and old-fashioned bathroom with vintage elements, a one- or two-tone .....
- Chinese Napa Cabbage Side DishI made this Chinese Napa cabbage side dish recipe using half a cabbage and half the ingredients, and it made a great dish for 2 people. I made soy sauce chicken to go with it. To make that, you need to slice chicken breast in half across the width, then soak it in soy sauce for an hour and cook on the griddle until cooked through. The 2 dishes together were lovely. You could also serve noodles or rice on the side but I didn’t. This recipe is very easy and it really brings out the Chinese Napa cabbage side dish flavor. Even if you aren’t sure whether or not you are a cabbage fan, this dish is worth trying, and cooking cabbage in .....
- Aromatic Crab Cakes RecipeThis lovely crab cakes recipe makes a great starter or lunch and you can imagine how beautiful they smell while they are cooking. Everyone wants to know how to make the best crab cakes and this recipe will show you how easy it is to make this popular dish. Exciting Ingredients The crab cakes recipe includes potato, flour and eggs, which are basil ingredients and used to give the crab cakes the right consistency, as well as aromatic ingredients such as chilies, lime and fresh coriander. The flavor is really nice, and you are sure to appreciate they have a wonderful homemade charm. Yes could can buy crab cakes in the supermarket but they will .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....
- Couscous Salad with Parsley and LimeThis is such a refreshing salad and it’s easy to make. We are using regular couscous but if you like Israeli couscous that is also fine, or you could consider bulgar wheat for a result for like tabbouleh. This couscous salad with parsley and lime is zingy, refreshing and really tasty. The key to making a good couscous salad is freshness. I find the more fresh ingredients it contains the better it is, so grab some tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and limes, along with the other ingredients, and you will be able to rustle up this delicious dish and experience all the amazing fresh flavors the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. How to Serve .....
- Carrot and Chestnut Soup RecipeCarrot is an ingredient which is used in many different soup recipes and if you make this delicious carrot and chestnut soup recipe, you will discover that it is very tasty alongside chestnuts too. This is a rich and creamy soup as well as being vitamin-rich and very healthy as well. Why Carrot and Chestnut? Carrot and orange soup is a popular type but carrot and chestnut is not so well known. If you often make popular soups such as chicken noodle soup, potato soup, pumpkin soup or beef and tomato soups, why not try this carrot and chestnut soup recipe for a change?.....
- Hot Herring Starter Recipe with Mustard SauceMustard and white wine sauce goes beautifully with many types of fish and herring is no exception. The following hot herring starter recipe combines potatoes, herring, onion and mustard sauce for a full flavored starter recipe. The herring is flavored with lemon juice and grilled, the potatoes are boiled and the onion is served raw, to make a crunchy and piquant garnish. How to Serve this Hot Herring Starter This fish appetizer is suitable for a buffet table or a dinner party. Just serve it with a big serving spoon and let people help themselves. You can serve extra mustard sauce on the side if you like, as well as underneath the potato .....
- Smoked Salmon Pizza with CapersIf you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust. The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and .....
- Why Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes are Wonderfully UniqueAlthough you might have enjoyed wontons at a Chinese restaurant or from a takeout, there is nothing quite like the flavor of homemade wontons. Easy wonton recipes are great and there’s nothing quite like them! Yes, they have a beautiful fresh flavor and of course you can decide what type of wontons you wish to prepare. Homemade wontons are wonderfully unique because you can experiment with the fillings and flavorings, perhaps making spicy wontons with a cooling dipping sauce, mild-flavored wontons with a spicy dipping sauce, or even traditional wonton soup or healthy baked wontons. It is totally up to you how to make them, and you can .....