How to Stuff Calamari Tubes
Learning how to stuff squid is very easy, and although calamari is also nice cut into rings, breaded and deep fried, it is especially good stuffed. You can choose from a wide range of stuffed squid recipes and use whichever ingredients you happen to like. Knowing how to stuff calamari tubes is useful to know, just because there are so many great recipes for stuffed calamari out there.
You can buy the bodies (tubes) already cleaned or you can clean them out yourself. I usually buy the frozen tubes because they are very cheap where we live, but if you have a whole squid you also get the lovely tentacles which are nice to use in your stuffed squid recipe, both in the stuffing and also in the sauce.
How to Stuff Calamari Tubes: Do You Need the Tentacles Too?
The tentacles are optional, so just get the ready-cleaned tubes if you prefer. If you are using tentacles, they are nice mixed with breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs and seasonings to make a flavorful stuffing, but if you don’t have any tentacles then don’t worry about it.
Stuffed Squid Tube
A lot of people assume that stuffing calamari is difficult but honestly it is very easy. Learning how to stuff calamari tubes is pretty easy. All you need to do is make a stuffing and then poke it into the tube, and that’s it. Your squid can be considered stuffed!
Just familiarize yourself with these instructions, get some squid bodies and stuff them. If you are using frozen ones, let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then rinse them and pat dry with paper towels.
Sometimes I thaw them during the daytime on the counter top. Don’t leave them sitting out if it’s very hot in your kitchen but otherwise it should be OK. If you are in a rush, you can submerge them in a pot of cold water and they will be thawed in several hours. Change the water often. Use cold water, not warm or hot. They will only take a few hours to thaw this way. I’ve used this thawing method a few times.
Add the Filling Like a Pro
Filling the squid’s cavity is very simple. Just transfer the filling into the squid tube using your fingers or a spoon. Don’t fill them more than 2/3 full else they might explode during cooking. Well, not explode but make a bit of a mess! Close the ends using a couple of toothpicks to stop the filling leaking out.
How to Stuff Calamari Tubes: Stuffed Squid Cooking
The next thing to do is saute the stuffed squid in a pan in olive oil for a minute per side or so. Next, add your sauce and simmer the squid gently for half an hour or until it is tender. Then it is ready to serve. That is how easy it is to make stuffed calamari.
Although there are lots of different squid recipes and if you compare an Asian squid recipe to a Western one, you will find them very different, there are some factors stuffed squid always has in common, and that is the squid is allowed time to become tender. This is not a dish you should rush.
Squid can be cooked in about 45 seconds if you cook it over a very high heat but when making stuffed squid you will usually be cooking it for longer, so the squid will tenderize then toughen up, then gently relax again, offer a lovely tender consistency which is what you always want when making such a dish. About half an hour of cooking is a good estimate but there is no exact cooking time for every squid because it depends on the exact heat in the pan plus the size of your squid. When a sharp knife slips through the squid easily, it’s tender enough to serve.
- 8 cleaned squid tubes (about the size of your hand including fingers)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Tentacles from the squid or small handful raw shrimp (optional)
- 1 cup (60g) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated romano or parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Marinara sauce or your favorite tomato sauce, to poach the stuffed squid in
- 2 chopped canned anchovies (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients except the squid and tentacles/shrimp and marinara sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Chop some of the tentacles (if using) and add them to the mixture, putting the rest of them aside.
- Scoop a couple of spoonfuls of the stuffing into the cavity of a squid, then seal it using 2 toothpicks.
- Repeat this process with the remaining squid.
- Saute the stuffed squid in hot olive oil for 5 minutes per side.
- As each squid is done drop it into a simmering pot of marinara sauce (or passata, sieved tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes with basil).
- Add the rest of the tentacles (if using) to the sauce and any unfilled bits of squid you have left over.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the squid is tender.
- If you have shrimp or anchovies, add them to the sauce 5 minutes before the end.
- Remove the toothpicks and slice the squid to serve.
- I served mine with sauteed potatoes and salad leaves.
The Most Important Things
Something you need to remember about how to stuff calamari tubes is never to overfill them. The filling, whatever you are using, should be like a coarse paste although it doesn’t have to be smooth or pureed. Last time I made this I put the filling ingredients in a food processor because I was in a rush, but that’s optional.
So if your filling is that kind of texture and you only stuff the squid tubes half full or 2 thirds full, then simmer them in liquid for half an hour, your reward should be perfectly flavored, perfectly cooked stuffed calamari. You’ll be so glad you found out how to stuff calamari tubes.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering. Some More Hot Content For You Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers .....
- Japanese Beef Teriyaki RecipeThis Japanese beef teriyaki recipe is so delicious. It looks good, smells wonderful and tastes even better. Beef teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish and can be served as a starter or as part of a main course. Serve this before your chicken or fish main course perhaps, and you can even continue the Asian theme by having a Chinese main dish. What is Teriyaki Sauce? The teriyaki sauce for this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe can be bought or made fresh, and it is a sweet, thick, dark sauce. Chicken is nice with teriyaki and beef is also good.If you like sweet, sticky sauces you will certainly like this one. It offers a typical flavor and .....
- Vegan Quinoa Salad with Garlic Lime DressingAlthough nobody ever gets tired of pasta salad or rice salad recipes, there is something so special about a vegan quinoa salad, perhaps because of its unusual texture or because it is something different to what you usually have. This salad is especially good because the quinoa is combined with a variety of tasty veggies as well as seasonings. The following vegan quinoa salad recipe shows you how to make an easy quinoa salad using this delicious grain. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is easy to cook and work with and combines well with various flavors. If you are new to using this grain, then you will enjoy the following recipe and once you .....
- Recipe for Stuffed Squid TubesHearty ingredients like breadcrumbs, cheese, shrimp, tomato and onion are combined for the filling here, along with aromatics like cumin, paprika, cayenne and coriander. The squid are fried in a skillet on the stove and then sliced to serve. Try these stuffed squid tubes and discover just how wonderful homemade calamari recipes can be. Italian Style Stuffed Squid Tubes This stuffed squid tubes dish is a very tasty recipe and the use of seasonings and spices makes it an unusual one too because the Mediterranean filling is combined with bold spices to offer plenty of dimension to the flavor. This video is narrated and there are plenty of .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ BeefI often make this dish because it is so simple, and all you need to make it are 2 ingredients – beef and BBQ sauce. Any tough cut of beef which needs to be braised or slow cooked will work, so opt for braising or stewing steak, or something like skirt or flank. You will also need a crockpot and it is up to you whether you want to cook this 2 ingredient crockpot BBQ beef recipe on high, medium or low. How Long Should 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Beef Cook? Use high and the beef will be done in about 5 hours. Double that for low, and guess somewhere in between the 2 for medium. Of course, the exact time depends on your crockpot and the meat .....
- Authentic Malaysian Popiah RecipeThis is such a great Malaysian popiah recipe! Popiah, which literally means ‘thin wafer’ is like an egg roll, or spring roll, and this is common street food in Malaysia, but also found in Taiwan, Medan and Singapore. Shredded vegetables are always found in them, but some also contain shrimp, meat or egg. A Malaysian popiah recipe is a Chinese dish in origin, coming from the Fujian province of China. These little snacks are easy to make. Simply get yourself a package of popiah wrappers (spring roll or egg roll wrappers are fine) and julienne-cut your vegetables. A little salt and pepper is all we are using here for the seasoning .....
- Homemade Pizza on French BreadPizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good! The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza .....