How to Stuff Calamari Tubes
Learning how to stuff squid is very easy, and although calamari is also nice cut into rings, breaded and deep fried, it is especially good stuffed. You can choose from a wide range of stuffed squid recipes and use whichever ingredients you happen to like. Knowing how to stuff calamari tubes is useful to know, just because there are so many great recipes for stuffed calamari out there.
You can buy the bodies (tubes) already cleaned or you can clean them out yourself. I usually buy the frozen tubes because they are very cheap where we live, but if you have a whole squid you also get the lovely tentacles which are nice to use in your stuffed squid recipe, both in the stuffing and also in the sauce.
How to Stuff Calamari Tubes: Do You Need the Tentacles Too?
The tentacles are optional, so just get the ready-cleaned tubes if you prefer. If you are using tentacles, they are nice mixed with breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs and seasonings to make a flavorful stuffing, but if you don’t have any tentacles then don’t worry about it.
Stuffed Squid Tube
A lot of people assume that stuffing calamari is difficult but honestly it is very easy. Learning how to stuff calamari tubes is pretty easy. All you need to do is make a stuffing and then poke it into the tube, and that’s it. Your squid can be considered stuffed!
Just familiarize yourself with these instructions, get some squid bodies and stuff them. If you are using frozen ones, let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then rinse them and pat dry with paper towels.
Sometimes I thaw them during the daytime on the counter top. Don’t leave them sitting out if it’s very hot in your kitchen but otherwise it should be OK. If you are in a rush, you can submerge them in a pot of cold water and they will be thawed in several hours. Change the water often. Use cold water, not warm or hot. They will only take a few hours to thaw this way. I’ve used this thawing method a few times.
Add the Filling Like a Pro
Filling the squid’s cavity is very simple. Just transfer the filling into the squid tube using your fingers or a spoon. Don’t fill them more than 2/3 full else they might explode during cooking. Well, not explode but make a bit of a mess! Close the ends using a couple of toothpicks to stop the filling leaking out.
How to Stuff Calamari Tubes: Stuffed Squid Cooking
The next thing to do is saute the stuffed squid in a pan in olive oil for a minute per side or so. Next, add your sauce and simmer the squid gently for half an hour or until it is tender. Then it is ready to serve. That is how easy it is to make stuffed calamari.
Although there are lots of different squid recipes and if you compare an Asian squid recipe to a Western one, you will find them very different, there are some factors stuffed squid always has in common, and that is the squid is allowed time to become tender. This is not a dish you should rush.
Squid can be cooked in about 45 seconds if you cook it over a very high heat but when making stuffed squid you will usually be cooking it for longer, so the squid will tenderize then toughen up, then gently relax again, offer a lovely tender consistency which is what you always want when making such a dish. About half an hour of cooking is a good estimate but there is no exact cooking time for every squid because it depends on the exact heat in the pan plus the size of your squid. When a sharp knife slips through the squid easily, it’s tender enough to serve.
- 8 cleaned squid tubes (about the size of your hand including fingers)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Tentacles from the squid or small handful raw shrimp (optional)
- 1 cup (60g) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated romano or parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Marinara sauce or your favorite tomato sauce, to poach the stuffed squid in
- 2 chopped canned anchovies (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients except the squid and tentacles/shrimp and marinara sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Chop some of the tentacles (if using) and add them to the mixture, putting the rest of them aside.
- Scoop a couple of spoonfuls of the stuffing into the cavity of a squid, then seal it using 2 toothpicks.
- Repeat this process with the remaining squid.
- Saute the stuffed squid in hot olive oil for 5 minutes per side.
- As each squid is done drop it into a simmering pot of marinara sauce (or passata, sieved tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes with basil).
- Add the rest of the tentacles (if using) to the sauce and any unfilled bits of squid you have left over.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the squid is tender.
- If you have shrimp or anchovies, add them to the sauce 5 minutes before the end.
- Remove the toothpicks and slice the squid to serve.
- I served mine with sauteed potatoes and salad leaves.
The Most Important Things
Something you need to remember about how to stuff calamari tubes is never to overfill them. The filling, whatever you are using, should be like a coarse paste although it doesn’t have to be smooth or pureed. Last time I made this I put the filling ingredients in a food processor because I was in a rush, but that’s optional.
So if your filling is that kind of texture and you only stuff the squid tubes half full or 2 thirds full, then simmer them in liquid for half an hour, your reward should be perfectly flavored, perfectly cooked stuffed calamari. You’ll be so glad you found out how to stuff calamari tubes.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Irish Lamb Stew Recipe with BaconWhen the cold months are here, nothing is as comforting as an Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon. There are different Irish stew recipes to choose from, but the main ingredients stay the same, and those are lamb, potatoes and carrots, as well as a delicious sauce/gravy. This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is nice served with a generous chunk of bread for sopping up all those wonderful juices. You can make a huge pot of it and let people ladle some into their bowls. Most of the family will want a second bowlful because this is such a tasty meal. Something great about traditional Irish stew is its simplicity. You do not need lots of .....
- Easy Pan Fried Tuna with a Sesame CrustThis tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish. To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet. Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings......
- Why White Noise Helps You SleepSome people find it hard to fall asleep without a fan whirring while others find the sound of a blow dryer or washing machine soothing. But how come making more noise can help with sleep? Isn’t a silent room the most conducive to getting a good night’s rest? Actually that isn’t always the case, and some people even buy white noise machines or download white noise apps to ensure they get to sleep quickly and easily, and stay asleep until morning. A lot of people have hear it works but don’t know exactly why white noise helps you sleep. What is White Noise? This consistent sound comes out across all audible frequencies .....
- What is Thai Tea ExactlyPerhaps you are familiar with Thai tea, or maybe this drink is a new one to you. Whichever is the case, we are going to look a little closer at this beverage and find out some more about it. What is Thai tea exactly? Well let’s have a look. First of all, not all Thai teas are created equal – some have orange food coloring, others have no food coloring. Some are made with cardamom, vanilla and anise, some with just one or two of those. Chai tea is an Indian tea similar to Thai tea but not the same. Again, there are various recipes for that too. How to Drink Thai Tea Some people like theirs with Half and Half while others prefer .....
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- History of the ToiletToilet history may not seem appealing; however, you will be amazed how interesting this subject can be when you begin to learn all the fascinating facts about the history of the toilet. Millions of people take the marvel of modern day toilets for granted, and it is hard to imagine a time without this basic convenience. Modern day plumbing and sanitation systems have ensured that a huge majority of people own a toilet. Prior to the invention of the modern flush toilets, which are seen in households today, the waste would have been disposed of through the use of chamber pots. These were filled and taken outside to the outhouses to dispose of, .....
- What is Tofu Exactly?Tofu is an ingredient which is made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into blocks. It is used in various East and Southeast Asian cuisines. Tofu can be fresh or processed, and its subtle flavor suits a variety of savory and sweet recipes. It is often marinated or seasoned before use. If you’re wondering what is tofu exactly, you might also be interested in its history. Tofu dates back nearly 2000 years to ancient China and during the Nara period its production technique was introduced into Korea and Japan. Tofu is low in calories, featuring a lot of protein but not much fat. It is also high in iron and .....