Risotto Stuffed Squid
This Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation.
What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid
You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient.
The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the flavor. You might want to garnish the plates with some pan-fried baby squid. Otherwise consider a small salad or your favorite steamed veggies – maybe asparagus.
Risotto stuffed squid is always delicious and my favorite stuffed squid recipe has to be this one which I make often, but sometimes I like to try something new like stuffed squid soup or another take on stuffed calamari, perhaps with feta cheese, vegetables, or even a spicy filling.
There are no limits because squid is versatile. It is also forgiving – if you overcook it just keep going and it will eventually tenderize again. Squid can either be cooked for a couple minutes or nearly an hour (OK maybe not that much, it depends on the size). It will tenderize then toughen then tenderize again.
Making Tweaks to Your Risotto Stuffed Squid
Feel free to make tweaks to this risotto stuffed squid recipe if you wish, perhaps swapping the red and green onion for yellow onion, swapping the parsley for cilantro, or the chorizo for ham and parmesan. Make this recipe your own. The flavor is always good and this offers a beautiful Italian flavor with various Mediterranean accents.
- 6 cleaned medium squid tubes, with the tentacles finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 2 oz (60g) finely diced chorizo
- 2 oz (60g) arborio rice
- ½ finely diced small red onion
- 1 finely sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) boiling water
- Saute the garlic, onions and chorizo in olive oil in a skillet for 3 minutes or until the onions are soft and the chorizo has released some of its fat.
- Stir in the uncooked rice, parsley and diced squid tentacles.
- Saute for 3 minutes then add quarter of the boiling water.
- Turn the heat to moderate and cook until the water has soaked into the rice.
- Repeat 3 more times using quarter of the water each time.
- Taste the rice.
- If it is not soft yet, repeat the above steps with ¼ cup (60 ml) water each time until it is cooked through.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Stuff the squid tubes with the cooled risotto, finishing ½ inch from the top of the tube.
- Push a toothpick through the top of the tube at the opening to stop any risotto leaking out.
- Cook on an indoor barbecue or outdoor grill or even on a griddle pan, for about 4 minutes a side depending on the squid size (small ones might only need 2 or 3 minutes while extra large ones could take 5 minutes a side).
- Once you can slip a long pointy knife through the squid quite easily, it is ready to serve.
- Serve in slices for the most attractive result, adding some vegetables as a side dish if you wish.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Different Types of Glassware and StemwareThe word ‘glassware’ refers to tableware made from glass, including flatware, cutlery, drinkware and dishes which are set on the table before a meal. Glassware can also be used for cooking meals, such as Pyrex dishes. There are many different types of glassware to choose from. Most glasses to drink from are either flat bottomed, tumblers, footed or stemware. You can also get yard beer glasses which are tall, conical glasses for beer which have a round base. Buy What You Personally Like Different people have their own tastes in glassware so it’s good there are lots of different types of glassware to choose from. I love those .....
- Types of ShowersShowers have become popular additions to bathrooms all over the world as more people become aware of saving water. Another reason for having a shower fitted is to save space, and for many people this is vital. You can choose between a variety of different types of showers to suit your needs and budget. Before rushing out to purchase a new shower, you will need to consider several different elements, which will determine the style of shower that you choose. You will need to think about the amount of people in the household, and your current heating system. The right shower should cater to all your needs and suit you perfectly. Choosing a .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Monterey Style Sweet Corn RecipeCorn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats. Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides! I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people .....
- Choosing the Best Refrigerator to BuyA refrigerator is a durable appliance and you should choose something you will be happy with for the long term. It is important to research different refrigerators before picking one for this reason. The best refrigerator to buy depends on various factors. The first thing to think about is how much you can afford to spend, then the style you like and the energy saving requirements you have. A mini refrigerator such as a Fosters Husky mini 50l fridge, or another small one, might be what you need or maybe a large fridge-freezer is better suited to your requirements and one of the best refrigerator to buy to fit your needs. Maybe a camping .....
- Lahmacun Turkish Pizza RecipeEveryone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors. What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and .....
- Easy Freekeh SaladBefore you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines. The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the .....
- How to Wrap WontonsWonton wrappers come in different shapes and sizes but 3 inch square ones are possibly the most common variety. The following video shows you how to fold a wonton (or how to wrap wontons) for perfect results. You can then poach or deep-fry your wontons. How to Wrap Wontons in Different Ways Choose from triangles, flower buds or nurse caps – your wontons will look really professional and hold together perfectly in the broth or oil as they cook. If you are baking or steaming them, you have more options because you can arrange them on top of lettuce or cabbage leaves in your steamer and expect them to stay upright. The same applies if you are .....
- Best Avocado Potato SaladHave you ever tried avocado in your potato salad? If not, make some avocado potato salad now because it is really tasty! The avocado adds a creamy, nutty, decadent touch to the potato salad which works so well. This avocado potato salad goes beautifully as a side dish alongside chicken, burgers or any other meat, or try it with fish or something else. Make this once and you are sure to want to make it again and again, and don’t be surprised if everyone asks you for the recipe. Which Potatoes to Use in Avocado Potato Salad We are using baby red-skinned potatoes here but you can use brown-skinned ones if you wish, or even larger potatoes .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....