Seafood Stuffed Squid
This classic recipe for seafood stuffed squid combines shrimp, fish and squid to make a seafood-rich meal. You will need large squid for this. Each one is stuffed with shrimp, and fish and then you make a sauce using tomato, paprika, bread, wine and onion which goes over the squid. The sauce flavors the squid, adds moisture to the dish and also looks good on the plate when you serve the seafood stuffed squid. Cut the squid into slices to serve for the best-looking result.
The filling for this seafood stuffed squid should match the amount of squid but if you have any leftover squid including the tentacles, you can cut it into rings and scatter it over the stuffed squid before pouring on the sauce if you wish. I hate wasting seafood so if I have any over I just do this. If I have less filling then I just stuff it less. A note about stuffing squid – do not overstuff it else you are asking for trouble! Squid should be about two-thirds stuffed and then you should press it closed to get out the remaining air. Secure the opening using a toothpick. If the filling expands during cooking, there will be sufficient space in there to allow that to happen.
Seafood Stuffed Squid: Tips
This recipe can be served just as it is or you might wish to offer a salad on the side. Since this is based on a Spanish recipe for stuffed squid you might like to make a Spanish style salad using lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and an oil and vinegar dressing.
Lemon juice is also nice as a dressing and if you serve lemon wedges on the side of the salad then people can choose whether to squeeze the lemon over the squid (which is also good) or over the salad.
- 1 lb squid
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 seeded and chopped tomato
- 1 quartered onion
- ½ lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ lb firm whitefish filets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 slice white bread
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- Parsley or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Clean the squid and remove the spine, outer skin and tentacles.
- Rinse it and drain on paper towels.
- Chop the shrimp and flake the fish.
- Sprinkle the shrimp and fish with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Blot the squid with paper towels to remove excess water.
- Pack each one with the shrimp mixture, leaving an inch unfilled at the end.
- Use a toothpick to secure the open end.
- Place in a glass baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining squid and filling.
- Blend the tomato, onion, paprika, wine, remaining salt, olive oil and bread in a food processor or blender.
- Pour this mixture over the squid and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for an hour, then remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Slice and serve warm with parsley or cilantro sprigs for garnish.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Eating Authentic Mexican Food in MexicoI think it’s fair to say Mexican food has to be one of the most misunderstood cuisines of all. People who aren’t familiar with it assume it’s all tortillas, beef and chilies, while those who eat at fast food outlets might believe those dishes are more authentic than they are. Eating authentic Mexican food in Mexico isn’t difficult but there are lots of tourist places you ought to avoid if you want to be eating the real deal. And then you have Tex-Mex, Cali-Mex and all the other hybrids and regional variations, so it’s hardly surprising knowing what is authentic Mexican food and what is not can be confusing! .....
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- Why Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes are Wonderfully UniqueAlthough you might have enjoyed wontons at a Chinese restaurant or from a takeout, there is nothing quite like the flavor of homemade wontons. Easy wonton recipes are great and there’s nothing quite like them! Yes, they have a beautiful fresh flavor and of course you can decide what type of wontons you wish to prepare. Homemade wontons are wonderfully unique because you can experiment with the fillings and flavorings, perhaps making spicy wontons with a cooling dipping sauce, mild-flavored wontons with a spicy dipping sauce, or even traditional wonton soup or healthy baked wontons. It is totally up to you how to make them, and you can .....
- Easy 3 Ingredient RecipesThere are easy 3 ingredient recipes for every occasion, season and palate. Perhaps you are in the mood to make a hearty meat dinner or something fancy with fish. It could be that you are looking for easy 3 ingredient recipes for the crockpot because you are going to be out all day and you know you’ll get home late and want to eat dinner and fall into a comfy chair in front of the TV with something already made. Or what about making three ingredient sauces or dips for your meat, fish or chips? Some of our drinks recipes are sure to tempt you too. There are recipes for every skill level, whether you have barely set food in the kitchen .....
- Beautiful Pandora Charm Bracelet IdeasPretty much every girl and woman knows about Pandora charm bracelets, and there is no doubt these are an exciting piece of jewelry. You can choose from silver or gold, pick out the charms that mean something special to you, and change them whenever you like, perhaps considering green and red charms around Christmas time, romantic pink ones for Valentine’s, fun summer ones for the summer, and so on. There are lots of Pandora charm bracelet ideas regardless of your personal style. Perhaps you want to buy a baby-related charm when you have a child or another one. Let your Pandora charm bracelet tell the story of your life and give it .....
- How to Cook Prime Rib for Juicy ResultsPrime rib is often called the king of beef cuts, and if you like your beef juicy, tender and delicious, you might like to learn more about how to cook prime rib yourself at home. Also known as a standing rib roast, prime rib is marbled with fat to keep it succulent, and it is very easy to cook too. You just need to start it in the oven on a high temperature to brown it nicely, then turn the oven down so it can finish cooking without the meat drying out. The center of your prime rib roast should be pink or red while the thinner tail-ends will be brown and more done. This is good because people get to choose if they want their meat .....
- Incredible Pink Diamond RingsLook at these amazing pink diamond rings. Every lady loves diamonds. They are a girl’s best friend after all. But pink ones can be truly stunning, and they are really popular at the moment, especially in celebrity circles. Have you seen a real pink diamond? These stones are incredible. You can get real, lab-created or imitation pink diamonds of varying qualities. So pick something which fits not only your style but your budget. Different Options for Different Budgets You can get a pink ‘diamondlike’ CZ ring for $20 or a high quality genuine one for $10,000. It depends how much you are willing to spend on pink diamond rings. .....
- No Meat Peanut CrackslawSimilar to our other recipes for crackslaw yet slightly different because of the peanut butter and the lack of meat, this one is a nice change of pace. Just like with the other recipes though you should feel free to adapt this peanut crackslaw recipe and make it however you prefer. If you want to use meat, go ahead, choosing from beef, pork, chicken – as long as it is ground that is fine. Check the label to make sure it is 100% meat and no fillers. This peanut crackslaw is really simple to make. If you do want to use ground meat, cook that first, then empty it out of the wok and proceed with step 1. Add the meat back in the end and .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....