Tuna Nicoise Salad
The classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna.
Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself.
Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad
Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke hearts. You will not find cooked vegetables in this salad though, apart from the potatoes and green beans.
This is a very tasty tuna nicoise salad recipe, and you can tweak it if you wish, making it with fresh ahi tuna rather than canned, or making any other adjustments you want. The following recipe is ideal served for lunch or you could serve it as a light evening meal.
- 13½ oz (385g) canned tuna
- 1 lb (450g) fingerling potatoes
- 8 oz (230g) green beans
- 4 sliced hard-boiled eggs
- 2 chopped ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Niçoise olives (optional)
- Dill pickles (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 3 cups salad greens
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ cup (125 ml) white vinegar
- ¼ cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon lemon-pepper spice mix
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- First make the dressing by mixing the oil, vinegars, garlic and Dijon in a food processor.
- Whisk in the lemon pepper seasoning, mustard powder, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Taste the mixture and add more lemon pepper, vinegar and/or salt to taste if necessary.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes or until tender, then remove them and let them cool.
- Add the green beans to the same water and cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender and bright green.
- Drain the beans.
- Slice the potatoes and toss them with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Toss the green beans with the rest of the butter and add salt and black pepper.
- Stir a little of the dressing into the tuna.
- Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter and top with the potatoes, eggs, tomatoes, green beans, and tuna.
- Add the olives and/or dill pickles if using, and some lemon wedges if liked.
- Serve the rest of the dressing on the side.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Very Low Carb Bread RecipeThere is low carb bread and there is this very low carb bread recipe. If you’ve been doing Atkins or low carbing for a while, you will have tried some of the more ‘eggy’ or ‘dense’ breads and while they are passable (just!) they aren’t exactly a good bread substitute. Some low carbers will forgo the bread entirely, choosing to wrap their burger or sandwich in a large lettuce leaf instead and while there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit chewier and more bready, even if it isn’t going to be that high-carb processed stuff you used to eat before. There are .....
- Can You Freeze Wonton Wrappers – Freeze WontonsA lot of people wonder can you freeze wonton wrappers? The answer is yes you can freeze wonton wrappers (and you can also buy them frozen). The problem is if you freeze a pack of 50 wrappers and only want to make 10 wontons, how do you pull them apart? From trial and error, I have found that if you let the package thaw at room temperature until you can peel a few off the top without breaking any, then pop the unused ones back in the freezer, that works well. Alternatively you can thaw them all, make wontons and then freeze the wontons. It all depends on the wonton recipe you want to make, but sometimes if you are taking the trouble to make .....
- Beef Wontons with Cabbage and GingerTry out these beef wontons with cabbage and ginger if you want to rustle up something delicious that you can make in bulk and freeze too. These are healthier than pork wontons and they freeze really well. This is a very simple wonton recipe so it is ideal for beginners. Use extra lean beef if you are watching your fat intake. Once they are cooked you can serve them or freeze them in a well-labeled plastic bag. You can cook them from frozen so you don’t need to thaw them the night before you want to cook them. Because they freeze so well it’s worth making a batch of these delicious beef wontons! Beef, ginger and Napa cabbage combine to make .....
- A Closer Look at Easy Wonton RecipesEasy wonton recipe ideas are vital for every keen cook who wants to learn more about Chinese cooking. Making your own wontons is a great idea if you want to make something simple yet tasty, using easy-to-find ingredients and common cooking methods. A lot of wonton recipes freeze well too, so you might wish to make a batch of wontons and freeze them for a future wonton soup recipe or fried wonton recipe. If you are feeding a crowd, you might like to offer them a platter of steaming hot crispy wontons, as well as a bowl of chili dipping sauce, or you could make dessert wontons to thrill your kids. There are easy wonton recipes for everybody. .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- Thai Fried Rice with EggThis is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones. This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and .....
- Refreshing Orange Mint TeaAlthough this is called orange mint tea there is no actual tea in there, so it is more than an infusion. The mint leaves are steeped in the mixture though, like tea would be. Feel free to swap the sugar for honey or sweetener in this orange mint tea if you wish, and you can also serve it hot or warm, although it is especially good served cold. If you are growing your own fresh mint, take the opportunity to make this wonderfully refreshing tea with it. After dissolving the honey or sugar in the orange mint tea, you may cool it and freeze it for future use if you want. It freezes just fine. Else just serve it with plenty of ice. This is a .....
- Quick Mackerel Pate RecipeIf you are in a hurry it’s good to know that you can make this quick mackerel pate recipe in a matter of minutes. Smoked mackerel fillets are used for this pate as well as soft cheese, onions, lemon and tabasco. Serve this pate with melba toast or crackers and perhaps some grapes or basil leaves for garnish. Homemade is Always Best Buying pate from the shop is easy but homemade pate is always in a league of its own. In fact there is no comparison between the two. If you want to make a nice starter recipe for a dinner party then consider mackerel paté and you will be very tempted. Soft cheese, spring onions and lemon work harmoniously .....
- Corned Beef Hash with a TwistThis corned beef hash recipe is fantastic and it is versatile enough to be breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just a comfort food snack if you are in the mood for it. The twist is the cream in the recipe and even though that might sound like an odd ingredient for corned beef hash it totally transforms it from good to great, so give this recipe a try and this might be how you make your corned beef hash from now on. As well as the potatoes and corned beef you will need butter and cream to add a luxurious mouth feel, onion and bell pepper to add nutrients, color and crunch, and some eggs if you wish to garnish your corned beef hash with fried eggs .....
- Authentic Thai Chicken Soup RecipeYesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe. Thai Food Inspiration While I was having this .....