Vietnamese Summer Rolls
The first time I saw a photo of Vietnamese summer rolls I just thought ‘wow’! I love spring rolls (egg rolls) because of their wonderful crispy exterior, but summer rolls are slightly different, still oozing Asian character but featuring a very different coating and a more subtle, fragrant characteristic which you will love.
These are lovely in the summer (hence the name) but perfect served as an appetizer or light meal any time of the year.
What are Vietnamese Summer Rolls?
A summer roll is a Vietnamese dish made by enclosing a filling in a soft rice paper wrap. Typical ingredients used to make the filling include shrimp, pork, rice vermicelli, and vegetables.
Vietnamese summer rolls are served chilled or at room temperature and they are not fried like egg rolls are, which means they are soft and squishy on the outside and then the filling is, well, it depends on the ingredients used. Try to incorporate a few different textures for more appeal.
A popular appetizer at Vietnamese restaurants, these delicious Vietnamese summer rolls are popular in Vietnam’s neighboring countries and their popularity is spreading all over the globe. If you enjoy egg rolls but fancy something lighter, you will probably enjoy summer rolls. No, you definitely will!
Tips for Sensational Vietnamese Summer Rolls
You will need a bowl of warm water to soak your dried rice paper. You should also prepare all your filling ingredients before you start, with each item chopped, shredded or whatever and in its own little dish, or at least spaced out on a clean counter top. I am quite pushed for space here so I just have little rows of ingredients then work on a chopping board, making one summer roll at a time.
You can buy a package of Vietnamese rice paper at any Asian food store worth its salt, or some grocery stores. These will be thin, opaque, rigid white disks but they do soften after soaking in water for about a minute, and that is when you add the filling and roll them up. Summer rolls are nice served with hoisin sauce, satay sauce or any other Asian sauce which complements the filling.
Photo courtesy of: Average Jane, on Flickr
The Results of My Vietnamese Summer Rolls Recipe
My first summer roll recipe wasn’t so great because I wasn’t organized (see the above pointer about having all your ingredients ready before you begin, and that includes cooking your shrimp, dicing your green onions etc) and also because I rolled them too loosely!
You might need to practice a bit first. Basically they should not be rolled too tight (else they split) or too loose (so the filling moves around). Try to find a happy medium.
How to Serve Vietnamese Summer Rolls
Vietnamese summer rolls are a wonderful appetizer and you can also just serve them as a snack. Sometimes I make a batch of these (it really isn’t worth just making 1 or 2!) and then have a couple in the evening while watching the TV instead of something higher in calories or fat.
These are surprisingly low in fat and calories but oh so satisfying! Try some new ingredients if you want to get creative. Avocado would work, or you could swap the shrimp for shredded chicken breast.
- 12 large shell-on shrimp
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pound (450g) mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into ⅛ inch matchsticks
- 8 rice paper rounds plus more in case some split (8 inch diameter)
- 3 ounces (85g) vermicelli rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Leaves from 1 bunch of cilantro
- Leaves from 1 bunch of mint
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ peeled, cored cucumber, cut into ⅛ inch matchsticks
- Handful of shredded lettuce
- 3 julienne-cut green onions
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Boil the shrimp in water for 3 minutes or until pink then chill in ice water to stop them cooking.
- Peel them, pat them dry and cut each in half lengthwise.
- Remove the vein.
- Boil the noodles for 3 minutes or until just tender, then rinse under cold water.
- Stir the vinegar with the salt and sugar, then toss the noodles with this mixture.
- Fill a shallow dish with warm water and soak a rice paper round in here until pliable.
- This will take roughly 45 seconds.
- Remove it from the water and sit it on a double thickness of paper towels, then add an eighth of your filling ingredients, so 3 shrimp halves with the cut side facing up, ¼ cup noodles, a few cilantro and mint leaves, 8 pieces of cucumber, an eighth of the lettuce, 6 strips of green onions and 10 of the mango pieces.
- Now it is time to close them, so fold the bottom of the rice paper over the filling then roll it up tightly to the halfway point. Add more mint and cilantro in the crease, then roll up until done.
- Put the finished summer roll on a paper towel lined plate and start making the next one.
- Repeat until you have made 8 summer rolls.
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients to make the sauce.
- Serve the summer rolls either as they are or cut in half on the diagonal, along with the dipping sauce.
Feel free to adapt the ingredients, leaving out anything you do not like and replacing it with anything you want to add.
Ensure you read the recipe through before beginning and have all your ingredients ready before you begin to assemble the summer rolls.
Work fast and you can be assembling one which the rice paper for the next one is soaking - this is good practice if you are doubling or tripling the recipe because it saves time.
Fancy a different sauce? No problem, you can use chili-infused peanut oil or make a simple satay dipping sauce if you prefer. Even bottle hoisin sauce will worth with this recipe.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Exact Copycat IHOP Pancakes RecipeIf you love the flavor and texture of IHOP pancakes you are not alone. These delicious, fluffy treats make a wonderful breakfast, teamed with maple syrup or another type of syrup if you are kind of hungry, or eggs, bacon and the whole enchilada if you have a raging appetite! I wanted to make copycat IHOP pancakes so I could prepare them at home. Perhaps you are in the mood for this authentic IHOP pancakes recipe but you don’t really want to get in the car and drive, in which case try the following recipe because the texture and flavor will be just like the IHOP pancakes you know and love. Copycat IHOP Pancakes – Beautiful Lazy .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- 30 of the Best Easy Chili RecipesLook at this tempting selection of recipes and consider making chili for dinner tonight. After reading some of these easy chili recipes perhaps you won’t be able to resist! Nothing beats yummy chili, after all. Chili con carne is so simple to make and it is really flavorful. Here we have not only 30 recipes for chili but also plenty of hints and tips to ensure yours comes out really well, and also some videos and other suggestions to ensure your best chili recipes are always a huge success, and something you will eagerly anticipate making again and again. Chili con carne has a rich history with much speculation regarding where the dish .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets and CountersThe kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing. Why Replace Them Anyway Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need .....
- Bean Salad with Mozzarella RecipeThis bean salad with mozzarella recipe is a very tasty vegetarian appetizer which is perfect for non-carnivores. The salad vegetables taste wonderful with the mixed beans and the cilantro adds a fragrant finish. This is a great starter recipe to have before a Mexican or Tex-Mex meal. More about Beans Beans are filling but they are also very nutritious, which is one reason many non-meat-eaters seem to enjoy them. You can often mix and match beans, swapping kidney beans for cannellini beans, or black-eyed peas for chickpeas, as the mood takes you, and you can do the same with this recipe. Chickpeas are suggested but swap those for another kind .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- Authentic Pasta con le Sarde RecipePasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal. There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there. When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Make this pasta con le sarde .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- Easy Chinese Chicken Stir FryThis easy Chinese chicken stir fry is the simplest Chinese recipe ever, and once you make it you will certainly want to make it again and again. We are using chicken and vegetables, along with a flavorful sauce, and this makes a wonderful dinner served with rice, noodles or your favorite Asian side dish. You will need skinless, boneless chicken breast to make this easy Chinese chicken stir fry, along with vegetables (either snow peas and water chestnuts or carrots, or anything else you like, such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, broccoli or bell pepper). The sauce for the easy Chinese chicken stir fry is up to you. I like to combine 2 .....