Best Indian Omelet Recipe
This omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor.
What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe
Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili.
You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the chili pepper if you don’t want it spicy.
Making the best Indian omelet recipe is simply a matter of combining the ingredients then cooking the omelet in a skillet. I like to wilt the spinach first but you don’t have to do that unless you want it really soft. It cooks in the omelet anyway.
I used a green chili (I think it was a hothouse jalapeno) because that’s all I had and it worked pretty well, but I think any kind of chili pepper would work here. A red would would look colorful in the finished masala omelet.
Make sure you use enough oil and, if possible, a nonstick pan. The omelet needs to be cooked on one side then flipped over, preferably in one piece! You can cut this into strips to serve it or cut it into triangles if you prefer.
If you prefer your omelet recipes fluffier or lighter, you can add a tablespoon or two of milk, Half & Half or even cream to the egg mixture. This is optional and I usually don’t.
Whether you are looking for new omelet ideas because you are tired of your usual ham and cheese or mushroom omelet recipes, or you want something with an Indian flair, our best Indian omelet recipe is ideal because it tastes great, goes as a nice side dish alongside fish, chicken, pork – anything really – and it is nutritious too.
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup shredded fresh spinach
- 2 minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ minced green chili pepper
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon oil, for cooking
- Beat the eggs with the spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Pour in the egg batter and cook until set on the bottom.
- Sprinkle the chili powder or paprika on top, then flip it over.
- Cook the other side for a minute or until set, then serve.