Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce
I fell in love with lamb shanks the first time I ever tried them. They are so tasty, so juicy and the flavor is amazing. Lamb shanks are best slow cooked and, although you can do them in the oven, a crockpot or Dutch oven will be your very best friend in the kitchen if you want really great results from this braised lamb shanks in red wine sauce recipe.
One lamb shank per person is enough, and they go really well with mashed potatoes and vegetables (maybe red cabbage, asparagus or carrots) along with your choice of sauce. I like to make lamb shanks in the crockpot and then either spoon the sauce directly over the meat, or else reduce it in a pan to make it thicker.
Tips for Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce
The following braised lamb shanks in red wine sauce recipe is best made in a Dutch oven, a large, heavy-bottomed pot. If you prefer to use a crockpot, sear the meat first, then put everything in the crockpot and cook it for about 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high, or until the lamb is so tender it is almost falling apart.
If you want to leave out any of the vegetables that is fine. At the end, you will need to use an immersion blender (handheld/stick blender) to get the sauce smooth. Add as much hot water as needed. The sauce should be thick but not too thick.
- 4 lamb shanks, each approx 1 lb (450g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 finely diced carrots
- 1 finely diced onion
- 3 finely diced celery ribs (optional)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2½ cups (625ml) full-bodied red wine
- 28 oz (800g) canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock or water
- 4 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried ones
- 5 sprigs of thyme, tied together
- ½ to 1½ cups (125 to 325ml) hot water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Pat the lamb shanks with paper towels, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and some black pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy based pot over a high heat.
- Brown the lamb shanks in there, in 2 batches.
- It will take about 5 minutes to brown them all over.
- Transfer the lamb on to a plate then drain any excess fat from the pot.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium.
- Now heat the a tablespoon of oil in the same pot and add the celery, onion, carrot and garlic.
- Sauté this mixture for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and turn up the heat up to medium-high.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the tasty brown bits up.
- Simmer it for 3 minutes.
- Add everything else (including the other teaspoon of salt and some more pepper) then stir to combine.
- Put the lamb shanks in the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then put the lid on and bake for 2 hours.
- Turn the shanks over, cover the pot again, then cook for a further half hour.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme, and skim any excess fat off the surface.
- Puree the sauce with an immersion blender, adding hot water if needed.
- If you don't have one, use a blender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the lamb shanks with the sauce ladled over them, perhaps pairing the dish with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Poach an Egg like a ProPerfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller. The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt. Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- Irish Lamb Stew Recipe with BaconWhen the cold months are here, nothing is as comforting as an Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon. There are different Irish stew recipes to choose from, but the main ingredients stay the same, and those are lamb, potatoes and carrots, as well as a delicious sauce/gravy. This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is nice served with a generous chunk of bread for sopping up all those wonderful juices. You can make a huge pot of it and let people ladle some into their bowls. Most of the family will want a second bowlful because this is such a tasty meal. Something great about traditional Irish stew is its simplicity. You do not need lots of .....
- Best Rolling BackpackFirst things first, so what is a rolling backpack? A rolling backpack is a backpack on wheels, although it also has straps so you can carry it on your back. This is an excellent idea for students, to ensure that you do not damage your back whilst transporting all of your books and materials. The best rolling backpack is going to be a great investment. As the amount of books needed for classes increases, the strain on your back can be intense. However, with the rolling backpack, you will apply no pressure to your back, and can ensure that you can transport everything you need. Best Rolling Backpack: Handy for Everybody Rolling backpacks are .....
- Creamy Potato Salad with BaconPotato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made. Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you. While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- How to Use a Bamboo SteamerA bamboo steamer is very simple to use and you can get one online or from your local Asian grocery store. Before you use it you should wash it in soapy water and let it air-dry. This is very important, especially if you live somewhere humid, so it does not become moldy. Rinse it and let it air-dry after every use. Knowing how to use a bamboo steamer is very simple so read on for some more tips. These steamers are really cheap to buy, especially when compared to the stainless steel type. This means if you aren’t sure whether you will like steaming, you simply want to give it a go, or you don’t think you will be steaming often then .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....
- Healthy Desserts with BananaAlthough fried banana wontons are not the most diet-friendly dessert, they are great for an occasional treat. If you want something a bit healthier, then you could adapt this recipe or make another one. Healthy desserts with banana as one of the ingredients are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and they’re healthier than a simple carb and sugar confection. Try baking the banana wontons instead of deep-frying them. You will need to spritz a little spray oil on them to get them crispy but baked wontons are also very good. You can serve a sugar-free chocolate sauce or fruit sauce with them. Grilled Banana Recipe Let’s think of some .....
- Crack Slaw with Chicken and Red OnionChicken is a nice meat to use if you want to enjoy that classic crackslaw flavor but limit the amount of calories. Of course beef is tasty but it is high in calories so if you are counting those too, or at least keeping an eye on your red meat intake, you might like to consider using chicken instead. This crack slaw with chicken recipe is simple to prepare and you will love the flavor. This recipe is made with chicken breast, which is a lean part of the bird, but is still flavorful and will soak up the lovely Asian seasonings used in the recipe. Delicious Chicken CrackslawThe following recipe makes use of mushrooms, red onion, carrot and .....