Classic Crackslaw Recipe
Perhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that?
Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients.
What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe?
This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The dish is spiced up with ingredients like soy sauce, ginger, hot sauce and more.
It is impossible to describe just how good this dish is. You will need to make it for yourself to find out. I love it so much that I have experimented with different recipes so you can take your pick from the ones I have. All crack slaw recipes are great! And you can even make up your own classic crackslaw recipe.
Different Recipes for Crackslaw
Perhaps you want to make the classic Crackslaw that Atkins dieters all over the globe turn to when they crave comfort food without the carbs, or maybe you want to try this dish using ground chicken or even TVP instead of beef.
There are plenty of ways to make it so if you want to find out how to make crackslaw, keep reading for the classic recipe or experiment with some of the alternative ones.
Classic Crackslaw Recipe Tips
This dish is perfect for adapting and you can make all kinds of adaptations.
You will also find ways to give the dish a Greek or even Mexican slant, if you fancy using the ground meat and chopped veggies but you don’t want to use the Asian seasonings. You can do whatever you want with crack slaw – just tailor it to your requirements and make it perfect for your palate.
Whether you want your classic crackslaw recipe mild, spicy or somewhere in the middle, cabbage-loaded or leaning more towards other vegetables, sweet (artificial sweeteners in liquid form are carb-free, remember) or savory, there is a perfect crackslaw recipe for you, to satisfy your taste buds and leave your tummy feeling satisfied.
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon or 1 sachet artificial sweetener
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 sliced green onions (spring onions, scallions)
- 14 oz (400g) coleslaw mix (or shredded white cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Drain off the fat if you wish.
- Heat up the sesame oil and sauté the garlic, onions and coleslaw mix or cabbage in there until the cabbage is cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Stir in the hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar or sweetener, vinegar and ginger.
- Add the ground beef back in and mix well to combine.
- Serve your classic crackslaw recipe with hot sauce on the table for people who like it extra spicy.
Classic Crackslaw Recipe Ingredients
You might kid yourself into thinking you are ‘cheating’ on your low carb diet because this tastes just as good as Chinese takeout, but honestly the carb count is really low, so you might as well enjoy the meal. And you can have a second bowlful if you want because you are just eating cabbage, carrots and some very carefully chosen seasonings to give you all the wonderful flavors you need to satisfy your tum!
So, first of all the hot sauce for your classic crackslaw recipe. I usually use Tabasco sauce because I live in Holland and that’s about all I can get! I use Amoy sesame oil, firstly for that reason and second because it’s tasty. White wine vinegar is great and works nicely, just regular white wine vinegar or another kind of wine vinegar. Try rice vinegar if you want.
So what about the soy sauce in a classic crackslaw recipe? Well I used to use Kikkoman soy sauce because it had a very rich, clean taste, but lately I have been using tamari which is wheat-free soy sauce and actually lower in carbs because it doesn’t have the small amount of wheat soy sauce has. Check the label when you’re using soy sauce because some are carby and that isn’t what you want to be putting into this.
By the way, if you like sashimi (Japanese style raw fish) then tamari is better for dipping anyway. I use ground ginger which tastes fine in the crackslaw. I also keep fresh ginger in the freezer, and that can be grated (from frozen) into the pot of crackslaw.
You Won’t Get Tired of a Classic Crackslaw Recipe
The more you make this low carb classic crackslaw recipe, the more you will wish to personalize it, not only to make it milder or spicier, more bitter or sweeter, but you will also want to get more creative with your ingredients, trying out different kinds of poultry and meat, even fish and seafood or vegetarian equivalents, and other vegetables.
Use the classic crackslaw recipe as the bare bones and then experiment to your heart’s content. I often reheat it for lunch since I work from home and tend to get a bit lazy around lunchtime.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chicken and Walnut Pate RecipePaté always makes a great starter and this tasty chicken and walnut pate recipe can be made in minutes. Whole wheat toast is particularly good with this recipe but white toast with this chicken and walnut pate recipe would certainly be fine too. It is up to you, so serve whatever kind of toast you prefer, even offer both whole wheat and white if you have dinner guests and are not sure about their preference. Homemade Chicken Walnut Pate? Yum! Making your own chicken and walnut pate recipe is such a good idea because, let’s face it, shop-bought pate is nothing special. Anyone can buy pate and serve it with toast and then what is going .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings......
- Oven Baked Short RibsIf you’re looking for a great ribs recipe but using the oven instead of the grill, this oven baked short ribs recipe is certainly worth considering. It’s easy to make and the kitchen is going to smell incredible when you make this wonderful meal. What You Need for Oven Baked Short Ribs We are baking the ribs in the oven and adding a delicious sauce made with peach preserves, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, paprika, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. These oven baked short ribs are really tasty and falling-apart tender. The whole family will enjoy this succulent treat. What Kind of Ribs to Choose We are using meaty bone-in beef .....
- Japanese Beef Teriyaki RecipeThis Japanese beef teriyaki recipe is so delicious. It looks good, smells wonderful and tastes even better. Beef teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish and can be served as a starter or as part of a main course. Serve this before your chicken or fish main course perhaps, and you can even continue the Asian theme by having a Chinese main dish. What is Teriyaki Sauce? The teriyaki sauce for this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe can be bought or made fresh, and it is a sweet, thick, dark sauce. Chicken is nice with teriyaki and beef is also good.If you like sweet, sticky sauces you will certainly like this one. It offers a typical flavor and .....
- Chinese Recipes with PorkChinese roast pork, roast belly of pork, BBQ spare ribs, pork meatballs, sweet and sour pork… these are just some of the famous Chinese recipes with pork we know and love in the West. Once you grind or mince the pork, you can use it to make a pork wontons recipe, but pork is often chopped or shredded or even served whole in other classic Chinese dishes. Because pork is so common in China, the Chinese word for pork (‘yuk’ in Cantonese or ‘rou’ in Mandarin) is meat. Different recipes require different cuts of pork, depending on the cooking method and other ingredients in the dish. Chinese Recipes with Pork: Red-Cooked .....
- How to Get a Job in Gran Canaria and Live ThereSo you’re interested in working in sunny Gran Canaria? I have plenty of handy information to share with you about moving to Gran Canaria, living there and working there, so read on! Whether you want a job in Gran Canaria or you’re just curious, I can share my experiences with you. Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands and is situated off the coast of North Africa. With great weather all year round, Gran Canaria is a great tourist desination and somewhere you can work all year round if you are a member of the EC or have a visa to work in Europe. What Type of Work is There? If you are willing to accept a bar job in Gran Canaria .....
- Plus-Size Fashion to Flatter Curvy GirlsAlthough many stores carry plus-size fashion clothing these days for curvy girls, there are also stores designed with plus-size girls in mind where you don’t have to rifle through the racks searching for your size and everything is generously proportioned. These days plus-size clothes are not what they used to be. There is so much more choice and you can get some gorgeous pieces, items designed to flatter your curves rather than hide them, and clothing to enhance your best assets while disguising your least favorite, and that is something every girl wants to do regardless of shape or size. Range of Plus-Size Fashion Choices Because of an .....
- Greek Yogurt Avocado DipDips are always fun to make, especially if you have a food processor and can whip them up in seconds! Although sometimes a hot dip is good, such as this hot and creamy crab dip or even our tasty artichoke dip, cool and creamy dips are also good. Try our Greek yogurt avocado dip if you like cool, creamy dips for your chips or crudites. When I made this particular recipe I enjoyed it with Doritos, but you could serve this with crackers, vegetable crudites, melba toast, baguette bread slices, corn chips, potato chips, or anything else you want to dip in there. I made this in literally 3 minutes and the flavor was amazing. I wasn’t .....
- Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken WingsChicken wings are always a good choice because they are full of flavor and nice to pick up and eat with the fingers. This sweet and sour sesame chicken wings recipe adds an Asian spin to the chicken, offering a wonderful sweet and sour flavor which you will love. There are different ways to cook chicken wings. You might want to deep fry them with or without a coating, pan fry them, grill them, or even bake them in the oven. The chicken wings in this recipe are flavored and then baked in the oven until they are crispy and perfectly cooked. These sweet and sour sesame chicken wings are unique. The chicken wings are flavored with garlic and .....
- Micro Sim CutterFirst of all, what is a micro sim cutter? If you already have a sim-card then you might find your new phone will only accept a nano or micro sim size. So how do you trim your card to make it fit? Obviously making a mistake is going to make it pretty much useless. The answer is to invest in one of these cutters and cut your new sim easily and quickly. A good cutter will have adapters to transform your micro sim back to a regular size if you need to use it in a phone which takes that size......