Classic Crackslaw Recipe
Perhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that?
Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients.
What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe?
This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The dish is spiced up with ingredients like soy sauce, ginger, hot sauce and more.
It is impossible to describe just how good this dish is. You will need to make it for yourself to find out. I love it so much that I have experimented with different recipes so you can take your pick from the ones I have. All crack slaw recipes are great! And you can even make up your own classic crackslaw recipe.
Different Recipes for Crackslaw
Perhaps you want to make the classic Crackslaw that Atkins dieters all over the globe turn to when they crave comfort food without the carbs, or maybe you want to try this dish using ground chicken or even TVP instead of beef.
There are plenty of ways to make it so if you want to find out how to make crackslaw, keep reading for the classic recipe or experiment with some of the alternative ones.
Classic Crackslaw Recipe Tips
This dish is perfect for adapting and you can make all kinds of adaptations.
You will also find ways to give the dish a Greek or even Mexican slant, if you fancy using the ground meat and chopped veggies but you don’t want to use the Asian seasonings. You can do whatever you want with crack slaw – just tailor it to your requirements and make it perfect for your palate.
Whether you want your classic crackslaw recipe mild, spicy or somewhere in the middle, cabbage-loaded or leaning more towards other vegetables, sweet (artificial sweeteners in liquid form are carb-free, remember) or savory, there is a perfect crackslaw recipe for you, to satisfy your taste buds and leave your tummy feeling satisfied.
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon or 1 sachet artificial sweetener
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 sliced green onions (spring onions, scallions)
- 14 oz (400g) coleslaw mix (or shredded white cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Drain off the fat if you wish.
- Heat up the sesame oil and sauté the garlic, onions and coleslaw mix or cabbage in there until the cabbage is cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Stir in the hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar or sweetener, vinegar and ginger.
- Add the ground beef back in and mix well to combine.
- Serve your classic crackslaw recipe with hot sauce on the table for people who like it extra spicy.
Classic Crackslaw Recipe Ingredients
You might kid yourself into thinking you are ‘cheating’ on your low carb diet because this tastes just as good as Chinese takeout, but honestly the carb count is really low, so you might as well enjoy the meal. And you can have a second bowlful if you want because you are just eating cabbage, carrots and some very carefully chosen seasonings to give you all the wonderful flavors you need to satisfy your tum!
So, first of all the hot sauce for your classic crackslaw recipe. I usually use Tabasco sauce because I live in Holland and that’s about all I can get! I use Amoy sesame oil, firstly for that reason and second because it’s tasty. White wine vinegar is great and works nicely, just regular white wine vinegar or another kind of wine vinegar. Try rice vinegar if you want.
So what about the soy sauce in a classic crackslaw recipe? Well I used to use Kikkoman soy sauce because it had a very rich, clean taste, but lately I have been using tamari which is wheat-free soy sauce and actually lower in carbs because it doesn’t have the small amount of wheat soy sauce has. Check the label when you’re using soy sauce because some are carby and that isn’t what you want to be putting into this.
By the way, if you like sashimi (Japanese style raw fish) then tamari is better for dipping anyway. I use ground ginger which tastes fine in the crackslaw. I also keep fresh ginger in the freezer, and that can be grated (from frozen) into the pot of crackslaw.
You Won’t Get Tired of a Classic Crackslaw Recipe
The more you make this low carb classic crackslaw recipe, the more you will wish to personalize it, not only to make it milder or spicier, more bitter or sweeter, but you will also want to get more creative with your ingredients, trying out different kinds of poultry and meat, even fish and seafood or vegetarian equivalents, and other vegetables.
Use the classic crackslaw recipe as the bare bones and then experiment to your heart’s content. I often reheat it for lunch since I work from home and tend to get a bit lazy around lunchtime.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Hot Cherry Pit Pillow ReviewI love my hot cherry pit pillow and use it all the time. A couple of weeks ago I slept in a strange position on a flight and ended up with not only a crick in my neck but also really stiff shoulders. I remembered I had given my mother a hot cherry pit pillow for her birthday a year back and thought something warm on my shoulders would feel nice. It’s hard to keep a hot water bottle in that position but a long, thin shaped pillow would be perfect, so I placed an order and it came the following day. I was very excited to open it, heat it up and enjoy the wonderful feeling! Some More Hot Content For You Elegant Old Bay Shrimp Appetizers .....
- Best Starter Recipes with PineapplePineapple is more than just a fruit and more than merely a dessert ingredient. You can make starter recipes (as they are called in the UK) or appetizers (as those of you in the US and Canada will know them) with pineapple because its sweet flavor contrasts beautifully with savory flavors like cheese, bacon, or chicken. There are starter recipes with pineapple for all occasions. Why not serve a fruit salad or pineapple sorbet – who’s to say an appetizer has to be savory Pineapples are an excellent fruit to include in the family’s diet, and you will all benefit from having this delicious food daily. This tropical fruit has a .....
- French Manicure VideosA lot of girls have trouble applying a professional looking French manicure This is understandable because not only do you have to pick out the best French manicure nail polishes but you also have to get your nails the right shape, apply the white tip evenly and professionally, and get the result looking beautiful. French manicure videos are very important because you will want the prettiest result! The smallest error is glaringly obvious when painting your nails French manicure colors. So it pays to familiarize yourself with French manicure videos, as well as practicing a lot. What is a French Manicure? To paint a French manicure you need .....
- Retro Shades and Vintage SunglassesSo what is the appeal of groovy shades? Shades, or sunglasses, come in many styles and designs, and although there are plenty of modern ones a lot of people like to go for the retro style sunglasses which often appear in vintage clothing stores, and on Amazon and eBay. Consider retro shades if you want a cool look. Whether you are looking for some classic vintage Chanel sunglasses or something fun made with brightly colored plastic, there are lots of old-fashioned styles you can get, and retro shades are even cooler than a lot of modern ones. Pick out something that suits the shape of your face as well as your personality and not only can .....
- Hot and Sour Soup – Chinese StyleHot and sour soup Chinese style is always good. It is sure to warm you up when you are feeling chilly, it offers a true Asian flavor in every sip, and it makes a lovely appetizer. There are different styles of hot and sour soup recipes to choose from, ranging from Chinese to Thai, from mild and aromatic to fiery hot. I love them all, or at least I love trying them all. Sometimes they are just that little bit too spicy for me! The good thing about making your own versions of hot and sour soup Chinese style though are that you can add as little or as much spice as you like. The following hot and sour soup Chinese style recipe makes a delicious .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- 4G Internet PhonesAre 4G phone reviews accurate or not so accurate? Before you choose a new 4G phone read the reviews. Checking a 4G internet phones review will ensure that you have all of the relevant information that you need before purchasing the phone. 4G is perhaps not what everone wants but if you want to move with the times and have a super-quick phone and internet connection it is definitely the way forwards. 4G Internet Phones: New Technology 4G internet phones have been promoted as the new technology, which will change the way that people use the Internet. Mobile telecommunications will be altered, and services that seemed too extreme will be .....
- How to Poach an Egg like a ProPerfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller. The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt. Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start .....
- Metallic Nail PolishThis product comes in a variety of gorgeous shades and the metallicness offers something special if you want a fashion forward look. Metallic nail polish isn’t for everyone but if you can carry it off it certainly looks stunning. Choose silver or gold for a special occasion, magnetic if you want to make crazy patterns, or something more neutral like bronze or shiny blue or gray for a funky, edge look. Metallic Nail Polish: The Option of Stickers If you do not want to paint anything on, you can get stickers which are nail-shaped stickers that adhere to your nails and look like you’ve had a proper manicure. This is a great way of .....