Beef and Carrot Crackslaw
Carrots have more carbs than a lot of other vegetables, so you would not want to make this beef and carrot crackslaw recipe on Atkins Induction, for example, but if you like the sweetness of carrots, then perhaps you will love this recipe, because the carrots are particularly nice with the beef, onions and Chinese seasonings.
This crack slaw recipe is full of flavor. To cut some of the carbs, if you want to do that, swap half the carrots for shredded cabbage, or else you might like to throw in some mushrooms (Chinese mushrooms or just button ones) if you prefer.
Which Order to Cook the Ingredients In
Although you can make this beef and carrot crackslaw in stages, first browning the meat, and then removing it from the pan and browning the carrots and then doing the onions, and so on, I usually just start the carrots first because they always take a long time to do, then add everything else and just keep stirring it.
The beef and vegetables will then cook at about the same rate, and I can add the seasonings as I go, and just check it tastes good at the end, or add more hot sauce or more soy sauce or whatever. If you are low carbing you don’t have to worry about draining the fat off the meat after frying it, unless it is VERY fatty.
A little fat adds flavor and a moderate amount adds even more flavor to this beef and carrot crackslaw. Fat is not the enemy, neither in low carb eating nor regular eating. Fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbs but it is essential for good health and it is good for you either eaten in moderation or, like some low carbers, eaten plentifully.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps hot sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsps Splenda
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ finely diced onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb finely diced carrot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- Saute the carrot and onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes, then add all the remaining ingredients.
- Cook, stirring often, until the beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender.
- Check and adjust the seasonings if needed.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cauliflower Nasi Goreng – Low CarbThis cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods. Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower. What is Nasi Gorgeng? The name .....
- British Bangers and Mash RecipeWhat is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top. I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch. What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe? .....
- Pastel de Choclo Recipe from ChileI first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity. Side Dish Options What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to .....
- Fun Facts About WontonsLet’s have a look at some fun facts about wontons. Did you know that the word wonton comes from Cantonese, not Mandarin? These tasty little dumplings are believed to have been introduced to the West by early Chinatown settlers from Canton, Southern China. Wonton literally means “swallowing clouds” in Chinese. Cantonese ones are wrapped in a yellow wrapper made from egg and flour. They often contain shrimp and ground pork. The broth is often made from shrimp shells and other flavorful ingredients. What are some other fun facts about wontons? In Shanghai the wrapping is flour-based and thicker and whiter than in Canton. The filling will .....
- Best Breakfast Burrito RecipeA beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla. Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around .....
- Sauteed Jerusalem Artichoke RecipeAlso known as sunchokes, Jerusalem artichokes should not be confused with globe artichokes. This tuber or root vegetable, also known as earth apple, sunroot or topinambour, is in the same family as the sunflower, and there is a Jerusalem artichoke recipe for every palate once you know how to cook this tuber. They are perhaps easier to find in Europe than in the United States, although the roots are often used to make inulin, which is used as a source of dietary fiber in processed food instead of other fillers such as sugar. Jerusalem artichokes are high in potassium, iron and thiamin, low in calories, and a great source of fiber. They are .....
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- Creamy Pumpkin BakeThis creamy pumpkin bake is a low carb recipe you will love. Serve it as a snack, dessert or appetizer. There are very few ingredients required so this would be perfect for any home cook, novice, advanced, or anything between these two. Our creamy pumpkin bake is something you might already have all the ingredients for, so why not get stuck in and make this? It is quick and easy to prepare and you will be so glad you made it. I love pumpkin and it’s available for most of the year here in its fresh form. It also keeps a long time. I buy canned pumpkin and that lasts for ages in the pantry, but make sure you choose the sugar-free kind. .....
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Wonderful Weightwatchers RecipesWeightWatchers is certainly a diet to consider if you want to lose a few pounds. This company was founded by Jean Nidetch from Brooklyn in the 1960s. Today WeightWatchers is international and operates in more than thirty countries. There are lots of WeightWatchers recipes you can make, most of which are really tasty. This diet program includes regular meetings, group support and a points system to calculate how much food you can eat in order to shed excess weight. Weightwatchers Recipes and Weight Watchers Points Each type of food or beverage has a point value and you first calculate how many points you are allowed per day (depending on your .....