Delish Fish Crack Slaw
I love trying new ways of making crackslaw, and fish makes a nice, light alternative to meat. Of course, it is carb-free just like meat is, and you can choose anything between sole for a light flavor or cod for a richer flavor. I really enjoyed this fish crack slaw and want to make it often.
There are plenty of other types of fish you can use in fish crack slaw as well and examples that come to my mind include tilapia, snapper, halibut, monkfish, dogfish, basa fish, and haddock. As long as it’s skinless and boneless it will work.
Don’t use imitation seafood in fish crack slaw though, like those imitation crab pieces or crab sticks you can get, the reason being they usually contain either sugar or some kind of filler with carbs. If you aren’t watching your carbs it doesn’t matter but if you are, choose fresh, thawed or canned fish with no added ingredients. Go for 100% fish or seafood and the crackslaw will be low in carbs.
Make It on the Cheap
Because crackslaw is a spicy dish, you might like to use an economical kind of fish, because a lot of the flavor will be overpowered by the spices used to make the dish. Of course, this is your fish crack slaw recipe, so if you prefer to tone down the spice factor so you can taste the fish better, by all means go ahead.
Use thawed or fish filets for fish crack slaw. If you are thawing them then you will need to make sure they are very dry before adding them to the mixture, so thaw them completely and then pat them dry on paper towels until they are totally dry. Thawed fish hangs on to a lot of liquid unless you do this.
- 7 oz (200g) chopped fish filets, either fresh or thawed
- Few drops of hot sauce
- 14 oz (400g) shredded white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon artificial sweetener
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Heat the sesame oil with the vegetable oil in a pot or frying pan.
- Sauté the onion with the garlic and cabbage until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the hot sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sweetener, and ginger.
- Add the fish and mix well to combine.
- Cook for a couple minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Taste the mixture add add more hot sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sweetener or anything else needed.
- Serve with more hot sauce on the side and perhaps a few lemon wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red WineLamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing. So Much Appeal in this Dish Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make .....
- Starter Recipes for All SeasonsThere is no rule that you have to serve cold starters in the spring or summer and nor is there a rule to say you have to serve thick, warming ones in the winter months. However, it can be nice to match them to the seasons as well as to your guests and the main course. You will find there are starter recipes for all seasons if you want to use seasonal produce to make the most delicious appetizers. For example, if the weather is warm your guests might fancy something light and refreshing and that goes for the drinks as well as the food. If the weather is cold, a hearty soup recipe or something hot, crispy and spicy might be well appreciated. .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- Retro Bathroom IdeasRetro bathroom ideas can be a huge amount of fun, and ensure that you create the ultimate design in your bathroom. People have begun to experiment far more with vibrant colors and exciting features which can help to give you the ultimate bathroom. There are several different retro ideas to look into, which can help you to design the room to your taste, so take your time browsing what is available. A retro bathroom can include a variety of factors to ensure you create the ultimate space to relax and unwind in. However, you need to ensure that you don’t go too far, producing an overboard, kitsch bathroom which lacks taste. Small amounts .....
- Haramaki Belly Band ReviewHaramaki is Japanese for belly wrap (hara means belly and maki means wrap). This garment can be worn over the belly for a comforting feeling and for warmth. Although this haramaki belly band garment is new to the West, they have been worn in Japan for centuries. More Details A haramaki belly band started as something warriors would wear to cover their vital organs and then turned into a garment which keeps the stomach and kidney area warm. They come in different sizes and colors, and you can get them for men, women, expectant mothers and kids. Choose from various colors, either patterns or simple one-color designs. How to Wear a Haramaki .....
- Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with FetaThis Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming. Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much .....
- Steamed Vegetable Wontons with BroccoliThis recipe combines broccoli, green onion, carrot, garlic and Asian condiments for a vegetarian-friendly wonton recipe. The wontons are steamed so you do not have to use any fat in the recipe either. If you are looking for something healthy and nutritious, which is easy enough for a beginner home cook to put together then you might be interested in this steamed vegetable wontons with broccoli recipe, especially if you like steamed dumplings. Wontons can be deep-fried, steamed, cooked in a soup or baked, but steaming gives them a lovely texture and cooks them gently. Make sure the filling is well mashed up before adding it and don’t .....
- Starter Recipes Around the GlobeInternational dishes have taken off recently in a big way. It is not unusual at all these days to see international starter recipes on a restaurant menu or to be given them at a dinner party. This obviously applies to main courses and desserts as well as starter recipes. Chicken sate, prawn toast, Asian soup recipes, Greek dips, Spanish tapas and more are popular as well as common these days and many people even prefer international starter recipes over traditional British ones. There are more ingredients available in modern supermarkets than ever before and you can use these ingredients to make exotic recipes and fusion-style snacks. .....
- Tasty Tuna Fishcake RecipeIf you are looking for an easy tuna fishcake recipe, this one is simple to make and very tasty. The sweet potatoes add a Caribbean flavor and the canned tuna works very well in this fishcake recipe. For fish cakes tuna is always a good choice because it is tasty. Canned tuna is better than fresh tuna for fish cake recipes because it is more moist. Fresh or Canned Fish for a Tuna Fishcake Recipe? Salmon is often used to make fishcakes, both the fresh kind and the canned kind, but tuna is also popular. When making fishcakes it is usually better to use either leftover cooked fish (if it needs to be used up) or canned fish. Save the fresh filets .....
- Crispy Baked Camembert RecipeCamembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture. How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve? This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg .....