Greek Lamb Crackslaw
Greek seasonings work their magic in this special crack slaw recipe, while the meat and veggies are sure to fill you up. This Greek lamb crackslaw makes a change from the Asian crackslaw recipes you might be more familiar with, but if you are looking for something different this recipe is ideal.
Ground lamb is used instead of another kind of ground meat, and it makes a great substitute because it is naturally quite fatty which means it comes out succulent and juicy.
The Greek flavors in this Greek lamb crackslaw recipe come from the addition of tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. You can also add some black olives if you like. For the herbs, parsley, basil, oregano or mint would go well.
Personally I love mint with lamb, and I used it when making lamb burgers, but use what you have, like dried oregano or basil, or some minced fresh herbs if you wish. Stir these in right at the last moment because fresh herbs don’t need to be cooked and cooking them can strip them of their naturally subtle flavors.
How to Serve Greek Lamb Crackslaw
I like to serve this dish with some feta cheese cubes. You can get similar Greek-style cheese but for me nothing matches up to real feta, so I like to use that.
Add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream if you like too, served on the side. That would also go very nicely with this dish. For the lowest carbs, use full-fat cream or yogurt.
I also like to garnish the Greek lamb crackslaw with some fresh mint leaves, although basil, parsley or cilantro will do instead if you want.
This is not a spicy dish, like most other crackslaw recipes, but if you want to add hot sauce to spice it up then go ahead.
This is not a true Greek recipe but a Greek-inspired one, so get as creative as you want with it, and enjoy the results. Low-carb eating can get tedious if you are eating the same foods day in and day out, so if you do fancy a change then you might like to consider some international cuisine, or at least something inspired by Mediterranean eating. You won’t regret making this. It’s yummy!
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ chopped yellow onion
- 7 oz shredded cabbage
- 7 oz shredded carrot
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Pinch of Splenda or other sweetener
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes in juice, not drained
- 10 halved pitted black olives (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chunks of feta cheese, to serve (optional)
- Brown the ground lamb in a skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the meat from the pan when cooked through, and sieve off the fat if you like.
- There will be quite a bit because lamb is fatty, but there are no carbs in it so leave the juices in the pan if you prefer a juicier result.
- Heat the vegetable oil and cook the onions, cabbage and carrot until they are as tender as you like.
- Stir in all the other ingredients except the cooked lamb.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring all the time to combine the flavors.
- Add the ground lamb back in and stir well to mix.
- Taste again and season again if it needs it.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs (optional) and perhaps some creamy feta cheese on the side.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Pork Potstickers Wonton RecipeThese easy potstickers or soft wontons are nice served with a homemade hot garlic potsticker sauce. You can make this by mashing 4 garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon of Szechuan hot oil and a teaspoon each of sherry and vinegar. Stir in 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and you will have a wonderful garlic sauce. Anyone who loves pork and Chinese cuisine is going to enjoy this pork potstickers wonton recipe because it’s so satisfying. The Perfect Dipping Sauce You can use a bottled garlic sauce if you prefer, or serve this pan-fried pork potstickers wonton recipe with sweet chili sauce. Chinese mustard or hoisin sauce are other options. Perhaps you .....
- Cauliflower Nasi Goreng – Low CarbThis cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods. Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower. What is Nasi Gorgeng? The name .....
- Bathroom Accessories to Jazz Up Your BathroomBathroom accessories can make a huge difference to the look and feel of your bathroom, and can be surprisingly cheap. Once the essential pieces are in place in there, you can begin the enjoyable task of accessorizing. With a small budget and a boundless imagination, you will be amazed how straightforward it is to liven up your bathroom. Choosing the Right Bathroom Accessories for Your Style There is a huge array of different cheap accessories available; however, you need to ensure that you choose the right ones for your style so you are completely happy with them. Bathrooms are an essential room in every home so you need to get the look and .....
- Mouthwatering Mexican Crack Slaw RecipeAlthough crack slaw is an Asian dish and is usually made with Chinese seasonings, there is no reason you cannot experiment with the dish and find your own preferred way of making it. Since this Mexican crack slaw is such a good Atkins diet recipe it is worth knowing a few variations so you don’t get bored with it. You can make it Mexican, Greek, Spanish or use other herbs, spices and seasonings to give it a totally different feel. The dish is mainly meat, poultry or fish, along with vegetables and seasonings. You won’t even miss the carbs, I promise! Typical Mexican Flavors The following Mexican crack slaw recipe shows you how to .....
- Thai Corn FrittersThese delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish. All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce. How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make .....
- How to Grill MusselsWhen the weather is cold, mussels steamed in the pan with white wine and parsley makes a wonderful meal, served with warm garlic bread. Then maybe follow them up with some mulled wine or hot apple cider. This is why everyone should know how to cook mussels. When the weather turns warm, such a dish might not offer the same appeal but that’s when the barbecue comes into play and grilling season is in full swing. In the following recipe we are taking live mussels and cooking them in foil packets. They are served with a butter, parsley and white wine sauce, along with some bread. This makes a lovely appetizer for 4 or an entrée for 2. If .....
- Best Buffalo Chicken RecipeBeing an English girl, I wasn’t quite sure what buffalo chicken was when I first heard the term. Of course I knew what a buffalo was and what a chicken was but didn’t see how you could combine them. All became clear when I tasted this delicacy Stateside and fell in love with it! Keep reading for the best buffalo chicken recipe I have found. So much so in fact that I have added it to our regular meal rotation because I adore the combination of crispy, spicy chicken, fresh vegetable sticks, creamy dressing and of course don’t forget the blue cheese! This best buffalo chicken recipe, like most of mine, is really easy to make. .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings......
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....