Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood Lovers
Cut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe.
This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor.
Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw.
Canned crab is an economical alternative to fresh crab, so perhaps that would be the best choice, since the spicy flavors mask some of the crab flavor anyway.
This crab crackslaw makes a great dinner and you can adjust the spiciness and/or sweetness however you wish, since you are making it yourself. Double up on the amounts and have some for lunch the following day.
Crab crackslaw microwaves well too so just pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and you will able to enjoy it 2 days in a row. When microwaving, a good tip is to arrange the food in the shape of a ring (so move it out of the center) and that way it cooks more evenly.
- 7 oz well-drained canned crab, or chopped fresh cooked crabmeat
- Pinch of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 7 oz (200g) shredded white cabbage
- 7 oz (200g) grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon artificial sweetener
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Heat the sesame oil in a skillet, and sauté the onions with the garlic and cabbage until the cabbage is cooked to al dente or however you want it.
- Drop the carrot on top and saute for a couple minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar or sweetener, hot sauce and ginger.
- Add the crab and mix well to combine.
- Taste the mixture add add more vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar or anything else needed.
- Serve with more hot sauce on the side and perhaps a few lemon wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Wonton Soup RecipesThere are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup. The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer. One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....
- The Best Casserole Dishes to BuyAlthough it can be nice to have casseroles in many shapes, sizes and colors, that is not always practical. That is, unless you have a huge budget and a lot of storage spare. Instead it makes more sense to figure out what type of casserole you need, the brand you prefer, and the size and shape you want. Also consider the material the dish is going to be made of. Then you can get the best casserole dishes for your household. You might want to start off with one casserole dish, or you might like to invest in a set. Perhaps your favorite casserole broke and you are shopping for a replacement, in which case you will find you have more choice .....
- Seafood Soup RecipeThis seafood soup recipe is made from scratch, so you will get all that amazing seafood flavour you love so much. Whether you are using lobster, crab, prawns or a mixture, the flavor is amazing. The better the seafood broth you use in this seafood soup recipe, the better it is going to taste. Whenever you are basing a whole recipe on a broth you need to make sure you use something of quality. It is so important. Great Ingredients Blend Together There are quite a few different ingredients in this seafood soup recipe but use them all and you will be so glad you did. The most important ingredients are the seafood and whatever you use to make .....
- Easy Soba SaladI love all kinds of noodles but soba noodles are my favorite. The word ‘soba’ means ‘buckwheat’ in Japanese and it also refers to thin, buckwheat noodles. In Japan the word refers to any thin noodles. These can be served hot or cold, with a dipping sauce or in soup or you could make an easy soba salad. Buckwheat can be harvested 4 times a year because it takes 3 months to reach maturity and be ready for harvesting. Soba noodles are sold at railway stations in Japan, and they also feature on the menus in high-end restaurants, making them a versatile component in a variety of dishes, not just easy soba salad recipes. .....
- Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring | Great Poke in HoustonPoke (pronounced po-kay, let’s get that out of the way first!) is currently a huge craze here in Houston, and actually nationwide. There are poke restaurants springing up all over the place as this tasty way of serving seafood takes off. Talking of ‘springing up’ there is a new poke restaurant in Spring, just north of Houston and south of The Woodlands. Spring is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Woodlands metropolitan area. Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring, is one of the newcomers to this seafood lovers’ arena. This poke restaurant opened just a few weeks back, occupying Howie’s Tiki bar until 9pm when Howie’s .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....
- Tips for Great WontonsOne of the best tips for great wontons is just to make them. Pick out an easy wonton recipe, perhaps a wonton soup or steamed wontons, and make them. Try your best and you will find it easy, maybe not the first time you try but don’t worry, you’ll soon be a pro! Your first batch might not look perfect. In fact, they might be a bit messy, since nobody learns to fold the perfect-looking wonton on their first attempt but, like with most things, the more practice you have the better you will become. Wonderful Wonton Soup Wonton soup is especially great for starting off with, because you can use a broth mix or some stock you have made .....
- Apple and Parsnip Soup RecipeParsnip is a great ingredient for soups because it goes well with other vegetables or with fruit and has a great flavor. You can grow your own parsnips if you live somewhere cold because they don’t reach their peak until they’ve had a couple of hard frosts. This apple and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make and really good for any season. It makes pretty good comfort food too! Beautiful Flavor Combo This apple and parsnip soup recipe is warming and what I especially love about it is the combination of sweet and savory it offers. The apple is of course sweet while the parsnip is mostly savory but with a special, natural sweetness .....