Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood Lovers
Cut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe.
This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor.
Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw.
Canned crab is an economical alternative to fresh crab, so perhaps that would be the best choice, since the spicy flavors mask some of the crab flavor anyway.
This crab crackslaw makes a great dinner and you can adjust the spiciness and/or sweetness however you wish, since you are making it yourself. Double up on the amounts and have some for lunch the following day.
Crab crackslaw microwaves well too so just pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and you will able to enjoy it 2 days in a row. When microwaving, a good tip is to arrange the food in the shape of a ring (so move it out of the center) and that way it cooks more evenly.
- 7 oz well-drained canned crab, or chopped fresh cooked crabmeat
- Pinch of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 7 oz (200g) shredded white cabbage
- 7 oz (200g) grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon artificial sweetener
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Heat the sesame oil in a skillet, and sauté the onions with the garlic and cabbage until the cabbage is cooked to al dente or however you want it.
- Drop the carrot on top and saute for a couple minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar or sweetener, hot sauce and ginger.
- Add the crab and mix well to combine.
- Taste the mixture add add more vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar or anything else needed.
- Serve with more hot sauce on the side and perhaps a few lemon wedges.