Mouthwatering Mexican Crack Slaw Recipe
Although crack slaw is an Asian dish and is usually made with Chinese seasonings, there is no reason you cannot experiment with the dish and find your own preferred way of making it. Since this Mexican crack slaw is such a good Atkins diet recipe it is worth knowing a few variations so you don’t get bored with it.
You can make it Mexican, Greek, Spanish or use other herbs, spices and seasonings to give it a totally different feel. The dish is mainly meat, poultry or fish, along with vegetables and seasonings. You won’t even miss the carbs, I promise!
Typical Mexican Flavors
The following Mexican crack slaw recipe shows you how to give your crack slaw a south of the border flavor and feel. Just like with any other crackslaw recipe you can tinker around with the ingredients to get the flavor just right for you.
Some people might want more lime juice for a more piquant flavor in their Mexican crack slaw, or more chili if they like it hot. It’s totally up to you, and you can also serve some low carb Mexican side dishes like avocado slices, sour cream, shredded or grated Mexican cheese, or anything else you wish.
If you are serving this Mexican crack slaw to more than just one person, it is a good idea to keep the heat down and then offer lime wedges and chili sauce on the table so people can add more to their own dish if they want to, and get the result they personally prefer.
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- ½ sliced yellow, red or white onion
- 6 oz (170g) matchstick-cut carrots
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sweetner (Splenda, for example)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 oz (115g) shredded cabbage
- 4 oz (115g) matchstick cut red bell pepper
- Lime juice, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, to serve (optional)
- Grated cheese, to serve (optional)
- Avocado slices, to serve (optional)
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a big pan, and then season it with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove the cooked meat from the pot and set aside.
- Drain off the fat if you want.
- Heat up the oil and sauté the garlic, onions, carrots, red bell pepper and cabbage in there until the vegetables are cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Stir in the sweetener, cumin, oregano, lime juice and hot sauce, and mix well.
- Add the ground beef back in and mix well to combine.
- Taste and add more of anything it needs.
- Serve with grated or shredded cheese, if liked, avocado, if liked, and hot sauce and lime wedges on the table for people who want to add more.
- Fresh cilantro leaves sprinkled over this dish works very nicely too, if you have those.