Mouthwatering Mexican Crack Slaw Recipe
Although crack slaw is an Asian dish and is usually made with Chinese seasonings, there is no reason you cannot experiment with the dish and find your own preferred way of making it. Since this Mexican crack slaw is such a good Atkins diet recipe it is worth knowing a few variations so you don’t get bored with it.
You can make it Mexican, Greek, Spanish or use other herbs, spices and seasonings to give it a totally different feel. The dish is mainly meat, poultry or fish, along with vegetables and seasonings. You won’t even miss the carbs, I promise!
Typical Mexican Flavors
The following Mexican crack slaw recipe shows you how to give your crack slaw a south of the border flavor and feel. Just like with any other crackslaw recipe you can tinker around with the ingredients to get the flavor just right for you.
Some people might want more lime juice for a more piquant flavor in their Mexican crack slaw, or more chili if they like it hot. It’s totally up to you, and you can also serve some low carb Mexican side dishes like avocado slices, sour cream, shredded or grated Mexican cheese, or anything else you wish.
If you are serving this Mexican crack slaw to more than just one person, it is a good idea to keep the heat down and then offer lime wedges and chili sauce on the table so people can add more to their own dish if they want to, and get the result they personally prefer.
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- ½ sliced yellow, red or white onion
- 6 oz (170g) matchstick-cut carrots
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sweetner (Splenda, for example)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 oz (115g) shredded cabbage
- 4 oz (115g) matchstick cut red bell pepper
- Lime juice, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, to serve (optional)
- Grated cheese, to serve (optional)
- Avocado slices, to serve (optional)
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a big pan, and then season it with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove the cooked meat from the pot and set aside.
- Drain off the fat if you want.
- Heat up the oil and sauté the garlic, onions, carrots, red bell pepper and cabbage in there until the vegetables are cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Stir in the sweetener, cumin, oregano, lime juice and hot sauce, and mix well.
- Add the ground beef back in and mix well to combine.
- Taste and add more of anything it needs.
- Serve with grated or shredded cheese, if liked, avocado, if liked, and hot sauce and lime wedges on the table for people who want to add more.
- Fresh cilantro leaves sprinkled over this dish works very nicely too, if you have those.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Healthy Easy Spiralizer Recipes and IdeasA spiralizer isn’t the most commonly talked about kitchen gadget, but it’s definitely one that has been gaining popularity recently. If you haven’t heard of this interesting invention before a spiralizer is basically a neat, time saving tool that turns vegetables into thin, noodle like strips to use in a bunch of different dishes. There are plenty of easy spiralizer recipes to have a go at too. If you have ever tried to thinly slice a zucchini using a julienne peeler, or worse – a knife – and given up halfway through because it was taking too long then the spiralizer will be your new culinary sidekick. The way a spiralizer works .....
- Tandoori Chicken in the OvenThis wonderful recipe for tandoori chicken in the oven is made with chicken pieces. You can use drumsticks, breast halves, leg quarters or chicken thighs, either bone-in or boneless to make tandoori chicken in the oven. The marinade is made with yogurt (use whole or nonfat, as you prefer) along with lemon juice, garlic, chili paste and a variety of aromatic spices, Leave the chicken pieces in the marinade overnight for the best results. Once the chicken is marinated and you are ready to cook it, get the oven nice and hot, then arrange the chicken on a rack over a roasting pan so all the parts of the chicken are exposed to the heat and so any .....
- Greek Couscous SaladThe following Greek couscous salad offers all the wonderful flavors typically found in Greek salad. Those include feta cheese, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and cucumber, along with a bright and zingy lemon-based dressing. But then you also have couscous in there which works perfectly and makes the Greek couscous salad more filling. This Greek couscous salad is a versatile dish which can be served as an appetizer or main dish, perhaps teamed with some crusty bread and aioli or butter. It can be served chilled or at room temperature although we prefer it at room temperature because the flavors are better that way. Making a change from a Greek .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Wonderful Weightwatchers RecipesWeightWatchers is certainly a diet to consider if you want to lose a few pounds. This company was founded by Jean Nidetch from Brooklyn in the 1960s. Today WeightWatchers is international and operates in more than thirty countries. There are lots of WeightWatchers recipes you can make, most of which are really tasty. This diet program includes regular meetings, group support and a points system to calculate how much food you can eat in order to shed excess weight. Weightwatchers Recipes and Weight Watchers Points Each type of food or beverage has a point value and you first calculate how many points you are allowed per day (depending on your .....
- Homemade Pizza on French BreadPizza comes frozen or from the pizza delivery place or from your local Italian restaurant. But wait, what about the best pizza? Well that would be the kind you make yourself at home! Honest, it’s so quick and easy to make pizza yourself and you don’t even have to make the dough. This homemade pizza on French bread will have the kids (and grownups) beating down the kitchen door, it smells so good! The quickest pizza recipe probably has to be this tortilla pizza but next up you have baguette pizza or French bread pizza, which is French bread, French stick or baguette bread (however you call it) topped with tomato sauce and pizza .....
- Can You Freeze Wonton Wrappers – Freeze WontonsA lot of people wonder can you freeze wonton wrappers? The answer is yes you can freeze wonton wrappers (and you can also buy them frozen). The problem is if you freeze a pack of 50 wrappers and only want to make 10 wontons, how do you pull them apart? From trial and error, I have found that if you let the package thaw at room temperature until you can peel a few off the top without breaking any, then pop the unused ones back in the freezer, that works well. Alternatively you can thaw them all, make wontons and then freeze the wontons. It all depends on the wonton recipe you want to make, but sometimes if you are taking the trouble to make .....
- Amazing Quinoa Burger RecipeThese delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe. Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot. It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab .....
- What is Crème BrûléeLearning to how many crème brûlée is easy, and this creamy, sweet dessert is very tasty after any kind of main dish. Crème brûlée, sometimes mis-spelt as crème brule, is also known as crema catalana, Trinity cream and burnt cream. But what is creme brulee exactly? The rich custard base is topped with a hard caramel layer, and it is usually served at room temperature although it can also be served chilled if you want to make it ahead. More about Crème Brûlée Vanilla is the typical flavor for crème brûlée but there are other possibilities, including coconut, chocolate or coffee. This dessert dates back to at least the late 1600s. This dessert .....
- Bean Salad with Mozzarella RecipeThis bean salad with mozzarella recipe is a very tasty vegetarian appetizer which is perfect for non-carnivores. The salad vegetables taste wonderful with the mixed beans and the cilantro adds a fragrant finish. This is a great starter recipe to have before a Mexican or Tex-Mex meal. More about Beans Beans are filling but they are also very nutritious, which is one reason many non-meat-eaters seem to enjoy them. You can often mix and match beans, swapping kidney beans for cannellini beans, or black-eyed peas for chickpeas, as the mood takes you, and you can do the same with this recipe. Chickpeas are suggested but swap those for another kind .....