Mouthwatering Mexican Crack Slaw Recipe
Although crack slaw is an Asian dish and is usually made with Chinese seasonings, there is no reason you cannot experiment with the dish and find your own preferred way of making it. Since this Mexican crack slaw is such a good Atkins diet recipe it is worth knowing a few variations so you don’t get bored with it.
You can make it Mexican, Greek, Spanish or use other herbs, spices and seasonings to give it a totally different feel. The dish is mainly meat, poultry or fish, along with vegetables and seasonings. You won’t even miss the carbs, I promise!
Typical Mexican Flavors
The following Mexican crack slaw recipe shows you how to give your crack slaw a south of the border flavor and feel. Just like with any other crackslaw recipe you can tinker around with the ingredients to get the flavor just right for you.
Some people might want more lime juice for a more piquant flavor in their Mexican crack slaw, or more chili if they like it hot. It’s totally up to you, and you can also serve some low carb Mexican side dishes like avocado slices, sour cream, shredded or grated Mexican cheese, or anything else you wish.
If you are serving this Mexican crack slaw to more than just one person, it is a good idea to keep the heat down and then offer lime wedges and chili sauce on the table so people can add more to their own dish if they want to, and get the result they personally prefer.
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- ½ sliced yellow, red or white onion
- 6 oz (170g) matchstick-cut carrots
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sweetner (Splenda, for example)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 oz (115g) shredded cabbage
- 4 oz (115g) matchstick cut red bell pepper
- Lime juice, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, to serve (optional)
- Grated cheese, to serve (optional)
- Avocado slices, to serve (optional)
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a big pan, and then season it with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove the cooked meat from the pot and set aside.
- Drain off the fat if you want.
- Heat up the oil and sauté the garlic, onions, carrots, red bell pepper and cabbage in there until the vegetables are cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Stir in the sweetener, cumin, oregano, lime juice and hot sauce, and mix well.
- Add the ground beef back in and mix well to combine.
- Taste and add more of anything it needs.
- Serve with grated or shredded cheese, if liked, avocado, if liked, and hot sauce and lime wedges on the table for people who want to add more.
- Fresh cilantro leaves sprinkled over this dish works very nicely too, if you have those.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Creamed Spinach RecipeCreamed spinach makes a lovely side dish and it is very easy to prepare. Try out this easy creamed spinach recipe if you want to make your own from scratch. It really is good. Grab a bag of spinach and then just add some cream cheese and seasonings. The recipe also features some optional ingredients so you can ensure your creamed spinach comes out perfectly for your palate. I usually buy the unwashed spinach and soak the leaves in cold water for a few minutes but you can also get pre-washed fresh spinach. Do use fresh spinach for this recipe for the brightest color and freshest flavor. I haven’t made this with the frozen kind but I .....
- Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with SauceI love making stuffed squid and I enjoy trying out new recipes, but this is the one I usually made because my husband is crazy about it. Use big squid tubes to make this recipe and only fill them two-thirds full so the filling does not expand and come out. This is, in my opinion, the best stuffed squid recipe with sauce. I love the texture, the flavor… everything! You will need to clean the squid first, unless you are using the cleaned type. I usually get ready-cleaned ones, and I can get a package of 5 frozen ones from the Chinese store. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and they are great. When cooking the squid, cook them .....
- Easy Pakora RecipeBefore we go into the details of our easy pakora recipe you might be wondering what is pakora exactly. That is a very good question! Pakoras are made by combining grated or finely chopped vegetables (and perhaps other ingredients) with Indian spices, then cooking the results in little balls until crispy, either frying or baking them. Hot and Typically Indian This crispy Indian snack is best served hot. There are different types of pakora, and you can use meat to make it or even keep it vegetarian. These treats may be served alongside other Indian favorites, such as a chicken curry and rice, or you can enjoy them as an appetizer. Some people .....
- How to Sear Scallops without StickingSearing scallops is so simple, and searing them without sticking is just down to ensuring your pan is hot enough when you add them, and also down to adding enough fat. I know firsthand that learning how to sear scallops without sticking can be a frustrating learning curve. Scallops aren’t cheap and ruining a batch by cooking them wrong is a costly mistake! You will need to use oil or butter (I like to use both) to stop them sticking and you will also want to wait until the fat begins to smoke before adding those scallops. How to Sear Scallops without Sticking Pro Tip: Get the Pan Really Hot! If your pan is hot enough the scallops will .....
- A Guide to Seattle, WashingtonSeattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer. Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and .....
- Sauteed Jerusalem Artichoke RecipeAlso known as sunchokes, Jerusalem artichokes should not be confused with globe artichokes. This tuber or root vegetable, also known as earth apple, sunroot or topinambour, is in the same family as the sunflower, and there is a Jerusalem artichoke recipe for every palate once you know how to cook this tuber. They are perhaps easier to find in Europe than in the United States, although the roots are often used to make inulin, which is used as a source of dietary fiber in processed food instead of other fillers such as sugar. Jerusalem artichokes are high in potassium, iron and thiamin, low in calories, and a great source of fiber. They are .....
- Best Buffalo Chicken RecipeBeing an English girl, I wasn’t quite sure what buffalo chicken was when I first heard the term. Of course I knew what a buffalo was and what a chicken was but didn’t see how you could combine them. All became clear when I tasted this delicacy Stateside and fell in love with it! Keep reading for the best buffalo chicken recipe I have found. So much so in fact that I have added it to our regular meal rotation because I adore the combination of crispy, spicy chicken, fresh vegetable sticks, creamy dressing and of course don’t forget the blue cheese! This best buffalo chicken recipe, like most of mine, is really easy to make. .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes for EveryoneEasy wonton recipes should find a place in your meal, or at least appetizer, rotation. Whether you fancy making wonton soup, crunchy fried wontons, sensational steamed wontons or even healthy baked ones, there are plenty of easy wonton recipes for you to choose from. These feature all your favorite ingredients from chicken to duck or pork, nutritious veggies, exciting herbs and spices, and even fruit or cheese. There are wonton recipes for ever season, occasion and palate, and wontons can make amazing comfort food, a well-deserved snack, or even a complete meal. There are homemade easy wonton recipes for everyone to enjoy. Easy Wonton .....
- Traditional Recipe for Cornish PastiesOne of the most famous dishes to come from Cornwall, England (well apart from tea and scones of course) is the Cornish pasty. This delicious snack can be enjoyed hot, warm or chilled, and the beef and vegetable filling complements the flaky pastry perfectly. Knowing the traditional recipe for Cornish pasties means you can prepare this delicacy for your family at home. Traditional Recipe for Cornish Pasties Dough We are making the pastry for our Cornish pasty (pronounced PAH-stee) recipe as well as preparing the filling. For the pastry you will need flour, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder. It helps to have a food processor to prepare .....