Szechuan Quorn Crackslaw with Peanut Butter
This lovely recipe blends Quorn (a vegetarian alternative to ground meat) with vegetables, peanut butter and other Asian seasonings to make the most delicious quorn crackslaw stir fry you can imagine. Make it as simple or as spicy as you wish.
Whether quorn crackslaw is a new concept to you or you are just seeking other recipes for this dish, this one is worthy of your consideration. Also known as veggie crack, this vegetable crack slaw recipe is addictive because of the wonderful flavors, but feel free to indulge because it’s super low in carbs!
Szechuan Crack Slaw Stir Fry
It is your choice how to prepare the vegetables for this dish and also which veggies to use because pretty much anything goes in this wonderful low carb recipe.
Some people like to matchstick-cut (julienne) them while others usually opt for chopping or slicing.
I often use the food processor to cut thin lengths, or a julienne peeler to get little strips which require very little cooking.
You can see how colorful this dish is and how the addition of cilantro adds a colorful garnish and makes it look all the more appetizing.
This quorn crackslaw is really filling but don’t worry because it keeps well in the refrigerator overnight and can be gently warmed back up on the stove or in the microwave the following day.
Quorn Crackslaw: Let Asia Inspire You
This quorn crackslaw is not an authentic Szechuan recipe. Rather it is inspired by Szechuan cuisine and features a number of seasonings from this cuisine. If you like Asian flavors you will like this. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients, perhaps swapping some of the vegetables for others.
You can also choose any kind of peanut butter – whole nut, crunchy, smooth or another kind. You can even leave it out if you do not want to use it, perhaps swapping the vegetable oil for sesame oil if you do that, so the dish remains full-flavored.
I like to encourage people to make this quorn crackslaw their own way and swap some of the ingredients for others if they so wish. It is too easy to get stuck in the rhythm of sticking to the letter on every single recipe and refusing to make anything unless you measure out all the ingredients.
I usually make a recipe the first time according to how it is presented in a cookbook or on a cooking website, but the next time I will tweak it, adding my own touches.
There are some things you can do to ensure you get the flavor right, and the most important is tasting as you go, so if it’s too spicy add more sweetener.
If it’s too sweet add more spice. If it is too flat you can add more vinegar or some citrus juice. Keep tasting and balancing out the flavors and you will end up with something harmonious.
Make It Like the Pro’s
Professional chefs, if you watch them in the kitchen, do not use spoons for measuring and they rarely use measuring cups and the like. Instead they have a special ‘feel’ for how much of X, Y and Z to add, and they can taste a dish and know instinctively what it needs. What you need to be able to do that is both a good palate, so you can identify what flavors you are tasting, and experience. Plus a little bit of bravery if you tend to follow cookbooks because this way of cooking is very different, yet yields better results plus makes cooking more fun! So without further ado here is our easy quorn crackslaw recipe.
- ½ lb Quorn, TVP or similar meat alternative
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ chopped red bell pepper
- 1 inch chopped zucchini
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 chopped mushrooms
- ½ chopped red onion
- 7 oz shredded cabbage
- 7 oz chopped carrot
- ¼ teaspoon Szechuan pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Chili sauce, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil and stir fry the vegetables until they are tender.
- Stir in everything else except the Quorn and cilantro.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the quorn and stir well to mix it in.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Taste the crackslaw again and season again if necessary.
- Serve garnished with cilantro if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- 10 Minute CrackslawSay you are in a hurry and you want to make some of your favorite recipe but you only have 10 minutes to spare – what can you do? The answer is to make 10 minute crackslaw. Rather than cooking the meat and vegetables separately, you will be saving time by cooking everything together. I always used to make the dish the regular way, which meant frying the meat, draining it, cooking the vegetables, then adding the meat back in and the seasonings, but since fat is not ‘the enemy’ when low carb eating you don’t even have to drain the meat after browning it, although if you’re using high-fat ground meat you might .....
- Indian Pasta Salad with ChickenPasta is not the first ingredient that should come to mind when you think about Indian cuisine because of course it is an Italian ingredient. However that is the beauty of fusion cooking. This Indian pasta salad offers some exciting flavors, all of which go together nicely. When combined they offer an exotic flair in what would otherwise just be a basic pasta salad. You can find all kinds of ingredients in this Indian pasta salad which come together wonderfully. The neutral flavor of pasta along with its firm al dente texture means a spicy, aromatic dressing is sure to suit it instead of clashing. In the following recipe we are teaming our .....
- Easy Wonton Recipes with PorkWontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become. Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or .....
- Tasty Chinese SeasoningsLearning how to season your Chinese recipes is essential if you want them to be successful. Chinese seasonings can liven up plain dishes. The seasonings used in Chinese recipes create the special flavors which differentiate the regional styles. Sesame oil, oyster sauce, chicken broth and soy sauce are the most commonly used seasonings in Chinese cuisine. These Chinese seasonings can be added before, during or after cooking, depending on the recipe. If you are serving a dish with rice, the seasoning should be heavier than if you were serving it alone. Savory dipping sauces are often served with Chinese recipes, and the most popular Chinese .....
- Easy Banana Cheesecake with a Vanilla CrustThere are many types of cheesecake to choose from – chocolate, caramel, strawberry… the list goes on. Banana cheesecake is especially good though, and better still it is easy to make. This dessert is wonderful after any kind of main dish and you will probably want seconds because it’s so good! Our recipe uses vanilla wafer cookies and butter to make the crust, then the main layer is made with mashed bananas, sugar, cornstarch, eggs, cream and vanilla. The banana cheesecake is baked briefly in a hot oven then finished off in a cooler oven. When the middle is nearly set but still a little jiggly it is done. How to Serve this .....
- Yummy 3 Minute Ice Coffee RecipeI have always loved ice coffee but find it prohibitively expensive in the coffee shops. There are plenty of ice coffee recipes online but many are too time-consuming to bother with, advising you to brew the coffee for 18 hours with mint leaves or add an array of ingredients which you probably don’t already have. That was my inspiration behind this 3 minute ice coffee recipe. The following recipe is for a basic ice coffee but of course you can jazz it up however you wish, adding syrups, sprinkles and cream on top, a shot of liqueur or whatever tickles your taste buds today. Flavored Syrups for this 3 Minute Ice Coffee Recipe I have a .....
- What are Pineberries and Some Pineberry RecipesAlthough pineberries might resemble albino white strawberries they are in fact a different berry altogether. This petite, rounded fruit has white flesh and red seeds and there are some pineberry recipes you really must try. They are not as hardy as red strawberries although they do share a genetic makeup. Perhaps you have spotted some in the supermarket or market and been curious about what they are and how they might taste. What are Pineberries Exactly? This fruit, also known as chiloensis, or Puren White strawberries, is a cross between North American red strawberries and South American white strawberries. They are grown in plant form, .....
- British Bangers and Mash RecipeWhat is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top. I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch. What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe? .....
- Bathroom Accessories to Jazz Up Your BathroomBathroom accessories can make a huge difference to the look and feel of your bathroom, and can be surprisingly cheap. Once the essential pieces are in place in there, you can begin the enjoyable task of accessorizing. With a small budget and a boundless imagination, you will be amazed how straightforward it is to liven up your bathroom. Choosing the Right Bathroom Accessories for Your Style There is a huge array of different cheap accessories available; however, you need to ensure that you choose the right ones for your style so you are completely happy with them. Bathrooms are an essential room in every home so you need to get the look and .....
- Chili Squid with TomatoesThis chili squid with tomatoes recipe is for lovers of all things spicy, since chili is used plentifully. Chili and tomato goes well, which is good because the sauce is tomato-based. You could use fresh tomatoes for this but honestly the canned type are just as good here. The squid is stuffed with a mixture of egg, bread and cilantro. This is how you make this chili squid with tomatoes a success. The filling should be sticky but not too ‘wet’ so add the egg a little at a time. If it is not wet enough add extra egg to it. This is a very simple filling so you can appreciate the flavor of the squid without any of the ingredients .....