Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef Roast
Coffee might sound like a strange ingredient to combine with beef, but it does lend this crockpot coffee braised beef dish a very rich and tasty flavor which complements the meaty beef taste. This recipe can be made in the crockpot and you don’t need many ingredients for it.
To make this crockpot coffee braised beef you will need a boneless beef chuck roast weighing about 3 pounds, or slightly over, along with coffee and garlic. Throw in some water, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and those are the only ingredients you need.
Just add your crockpot coffee braised beef ingredients to the crockpot then you can use the cooking liquid to make a tasty gravy which goes over it. I love this with mashed potatoes and vegetables, perhaps carrots and parsnips, or something green like green beans or broccoli (if I were a fan of peas I might choose those). It would also be nice with roasted potatoes.
This recipe serves 12 so if you have leftovers you could use them to make tasty sandwiches. You will need a 4-quart slow cooker to make this coffee roast beef recipe. Just pop the lid on and count on about 8 to 10 hours for a tender result. If you’re in a rush try 4 to 5 hours on high.
How to Tell When Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef is Done?
You will be able to tell when it’s ready because the meat will be very tender, but try not to lift the lid until the end of the cooking time because then you let all the heat out of the crockpot and it takes quite a while to build it up again. Giving it an extra hour or 2 isn’t going to do the meat any harm, so don’t worry about overcooking it. It just gets more tender in there!
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 - 3½ lbs or 1.4 to 1.6 kg)
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
- 1½ cups (355 ml) strong brewed coffee
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the garlic, salt and pepper, and rub it over the beef.
- Put it in a 4-quart crockpot and pour the coffee over it.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or until tender.
- Put the cooked meat on a serving platter and keep it warm under aluminum foil.
- Skim the fat off the cooking juices and put the rest in a small pan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Combine the water and cornstarch in a cup.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture gradually into the cooking juices.
- Bring it to a boil then cook, stirring, for 1 or 2 minutes, or until thick.
- Slice and serve the meat with the gravy over it.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Crab Rangoon Wontons Made with Gyoza WrappersI had a problem a couple days back. I was in the mood for crispy wontons and having recently bought a deep fat fryer and knowing I had some wonton skins in the freezer, I didn’t think anything could go wrong. However, the wonton wrappers were broken! I still fancied some crab rangoon wontons though. Can you use gyoza wrappers for wontons, I wondered. Would crab rangoon wontons made with gyoza wrappers actually work? Only one way to find out! Making Wontons with Gyoza Skins Gyoza wrappers are round not square and they are thicker than wonton wrappers. When I make gyoza I usually steam them or make potstickers so I was not sure how they .....
- Steamed Couscous with FruitThis steamed couscous with fruit recipe is light, aromatic and really delicious. Combining the taste of couscous with sweet juicy fruit, this makes a great side dish or you can have it alone for lunch or a light supper. You could also consider doubling or tripling the steamed couscous with fruit recipe to make a nice buffet or potluck dish. It is fine to stand at room temperature for a while since there is no meat or eggs in there. Couscous is a lovely grain to cook with and you can use plain couscous or Israeli couscous (otherwise known as pearl couscous). It makes a nice change from rice or potatoes, and you can make salads, side dishes .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....
- Bacon Wrapped Avocado AppetizersThese bacon wrapped avocado appetizers are absolutely gorgeous and you can serve them as an appetizer or side dish. They are low in carbs (if you leave out the sugar) but high in flavor. Spicy or Mild, Your Choice Use the chili or cayenne pepper if you wish, or just have the bacon wrapped avocado appetizers without if you want a milder finish. These are great to pop into the oven when you have something else cooking on the stove. I wasn’t sure these would work the first time I made bacon wrapped avocado appetizers. I have made bacon-wrapped shrimp before, and bacon-wrapped cheese, but this is the first time I used avocado. Although .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....
- How to Use a Bamboo SteamerA bamboo steamer is very simple to use and you can get one online or from your local Asian grocery store. Before you use it you should wash it in soapy water and let it air-dry. This is very important, especially if you live somewhere humid, so it does not become moldy. Rinse it and let it air-dry after every use. Knowing how to use a bamboo steamer is very simple so read on for some more tips. These steamers are really cheap to buy, especially when compared to the stainless steel type. This means if you aren’t sure whether you will like steaming, you simply want to give it a go, or you don’t think you will be steaming often then .....
- The Best Creative Wonton IdeasSo you have made beef wontons, cheese wontons, seafood wontons, dessert wontons, several types of wonton soup and dumplings. Now what? There are plenty more ideas for wontons that you can consider. How about a filling of minced caramelized walnuts with toasted sesame seeds, or jelly and peanut butter? Those would be quirky yet delicious creative wonton ideas which would work beautifully. Fresh cottage cheese with smoked paprika would work, as would an Indian style wonton made with potatoes, peas, biryani spices, ginger and cumin. Dip these spicy wontons in a cool yogurt sauce. Chinese sausage meat could work, or make buffalo chicken purses .....
- Easy Pan Fried Tuna with a Sesame CrustThis tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish. To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet. Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not .....
- How to Griddle Steak Like a ProSteak is one of the most popular cuts of meat but unfortunately a lot of people are rather clueless about how to transform a raw steak into something flavorful, tender and perfectly cooked. Perhaps it is your first time cooking steak or maybe you are keen to find out some griddle tips, because this ridged pan is so handy in the kitchen. Either way, read on for my foolproof recipe and learn how to griddle steak like a pro every time you make it. Barbecuing is one of the best ways to cook this cut of meat, because you can’t beat the lovely smoky flavor, but what happens if you can’t barbecue and you don’t want to pan-fry? The .....
- How to Make Hamburgers on the StoveI love making homemade burgers, partly because they are really easy and partly because they taste so good. You will need some good quality hamburger meat if you want to make good quality burgers, and you can use pork, beef, chicken or a mixed meat. I like to use 80/20 (that is 80% lean, 20% fat) half pork, half beef, for a good juiciness and flavor. I often make hamburgers on the stove when it’s cold and I don’t want to stand over a grill outside in the rain! In the photo you can see I am cooking the burgers on a griddle which is like a square pan with ridges on. The ridges allow the fat to drain off the meat but they also make .....