Octopus and Squid Stir Fry
Last night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it.
On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I want to make again.
How to Reheat Octopus
The key here is reheating it gently so it doesn’t toughen. That means you should get it warm rather than piping hot else you risk that meat toughening up, and let’s face it, nobody wants chewy seafood. Of course, the octopus can also be served cold, as part of a salad perhaps. The best way that I’ve found is to slice the legs and cook them briefly in oil and melted butter, adding some paprika or oregano and lemon juice if liked. It takes literally 15 seconds to warm up and if it is served in a hot dish, the heat from the other ingredients will keep it warm. You could try the microwave method (2 minutes at ½ power) if you want, but I haven’t tested that.
In the following recipe we are cooking our aromatics (onion, bell pepper and garlic) in oil and butter, then adding the squid and the octopus, along with lemon, oregano or parsley, and some salt and black pepper. Then you can serve the dish immediately.
Tips for Making Octopus and Squid Stir Fry
Prepare the seafood and vegetables before you begin cooking, since this really doesn’t take long to cook, and you don’t want the seafood in there too long. I like to add garlic, lemon and oregano for a Greek flair but you could try parsley instead, or paprika and chili flakes, or go for other aromatics or seasonings.
You can use small or large squid tubes for this octopus and squid stir fry. Mine were quite small (about 3 inches or 7 1/2 cm) because I tend to save the larger ones for making a stuffed squid recipe but you can use any size you have. Just ensure they’re cleaned and if you have thawed them, blot them with paper towels to get all the moisture off. This recipe is gluten free, low carb and paleo friendly.
- Olive oil, as needed
- Butter, as needed
- ¼ finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 7 oz (200g) cleaned raw squid tubes
- 7 oz (200g) clean cooked octopus legs
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cut the squid into small squares.
- Cut the octopus legs into slices.
- Heat up a splash of oil in a skillet, along with some butter.
- When it's nice and hot, add the onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Sauté for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add the squid and cook for 30 seconds.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 lemon wedges into the skillet.
- Add the oregano or parsley and grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Add the octopus and cook for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Taste a piece of squid to see if it's tender.
- Don't overcook the squid - it will only take about a minute in total to cook.
- Serve with the remaining 2 lemon wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- Lahmacun Turkish Pizza RecipeEveryone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors. What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- Chicken Thighs with Apricot and CuminThis easy chicken recipe is suitable for any occasion. Chicken thighs are used here, because they are more moist and succulent, not to mention more flavorful, than chicken breast, which can dry out more easily. Chicken thighs with apricot and cumin make a delicious dinner for the whole family. Why not try this recipe tonight? As well as the chicken, you will be adding garlic and onion for a nice base flavor, as well as cumin and coriander for taste, carrot and fennel for crunch and color, and of course chopped apricots for a lovely, fruity flavor. Look at the recipe and you will see how simple this is to make, so if you were looking for an .....
- Why White Noise Helps You SleepSome people find it hard to fall asleep without a fan whirring while others find the sound of a blow dryer or washing machine soothing. But how come making more noise can help with sleep? Isn’t a silent room the most conducive to getting a good night’s rest? Actually that isn’t always the case, and some people even buy white noise machines or download white noise apps to ensure they get to sleep quickly and easily, and stay asleep until morning. A lot of people have hear it works but don’t know exactly why white noise helps you sleep. What is White Noise? This consistent sound comes out across all audible frequencies .....
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Rotel TomatoesChicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. I love everything about it – the juicy chicken, the tomato-ey broth, the crisp tortillas on top, the cheese, just… everything! I like to keep my soup recipes simple, so you will see the following is as streamlined as I could make it. Grab the ingredients you need and make this. I promise, whether you want a light lunch or simple supper, you’re going to love it. There are lots of different chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes recipes to try but I happen to like this one just because it is so easy. What You Need to Make It Along with the cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes .....
- Potato Wrapped Fish FiletsThis potato wrapped fish filets recipe is something which is easy enough for the home cook to master but will give professional results. If you love fish and potatoes, why not combine them to make this delicious recipe? Whether you are used to tasty stuffed squid recipes and other seafood dishes, or not, you will love this. The potatoes need to be thin enough to wrap around the fish, although you can choose any type of potatoes and any type of fish. Perhaps you love the big flakes cod offers, the economical price of basa fish or tilapia, or the distinctive flavor of salmon. Whichever makes your mouth water would be an ideal candidate for .....
- Lamb Coconut Curry with Sweet PotatoThis lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare. An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of .....
- Bone Broth Recipes and Bone Broth BenefitsBone broth is a slow-cooked soup made from animal bones which are filled with magnesium and calcium, along with collagen. This beverage is a great addition to any diet, especially if you have skin problems, immunity issues or digestive trouble, because it can help with those. There has been a lot of talk lately about how to make bone broth recipes, with people wondering not only how to get the ingredients and make it, but also why it is so popular and what nutrients it includes. Combined with apple cider vinegar (to coax the minerals out of the bones) and seasonings or vegetables, bones make a tasty, nutritious broth which will keep for .....