Octopus and Squid Stir Fry
Last night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it.
On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I want to make again.
How to Reheat Octopus
The key here is reheating it gently so it doesn’t toughen. That means you should get it warm rather than piping hot else you risk that meat toughening up, and let’s face it, nobody wants chewy seafood. Of course, the octopus can also be served cold, as part of a salad perhaps. The best way that I’ve found is to slice the legs and cook them briefly in oil and melted butter, adding some paprika or oregano and lemon juice if liked. It takes literally 15 seconds to warm up and if it is served in a hot dish, the heat from the other ingredients will keep it warm. You could try the microwave method (2 minutes at ½ power) if you want, but I haven’t tested that.
In the following recipe we are cooking our aromatics (onion, bell pepper and garlic) in oil and butter, then adding the squid and the octopus, along with lemon, oregano or parsley, and some salt and black pepper. Then you can serve the dish immediately.
Tips for Making Octopus and Squid Stir Fry
Prepare the seafood and vegetables before you begin cooking, since this really doesn’t take long to cook, and you don’t want the seafood in there too long. I like to add garlic, lemon and oregano for a Greek flair but you could try parsley instead, or paprika and chili flakes, or go for other aromatics or seasonings.
You can use small or large squid tubes for this octopus and squid stir fry. Mine were quite small (about 3 inches or 7 1/2 cm) because I tend to save the larger ones for making a stuffed squid recipe but you can use any size you have. Just ensure they’re cleaned and if you have thawed them, blot them with paper towels to get all the moisture off. This recipe is gluten free, low carb and paleo friendly.
- Olive oil, as needed
- Butter, as needed
- ¼ finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 7 oz (200g) cleaned raw squid tubes
- 7 oz (200g) clean cooked octopus legs
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cut the squid into small squares.
- Cut the octopus legs into slices.
- Heat up a splash of oil in a skillet, along with some butter.
- When it's nice and hot, add the onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Sauté for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add the squid and cook for 30 seconds.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 lemon wedges into the skillet.
- Add the oregano or parsley and grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Add the octopus and cook for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Taste a piece of squid to see if it's tender.
- Don't overcook the squid - it will only take about a minute in total to cook.
- Serve with the remaining 2 lemon wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....
- Duck Breast a l’Orange with Grand MarnierEasy to make yet sure to deliver a flavor that wows, duck breast a l’orange makes a fantastic dinner, whether you are serving it up to the family or considering what to make for a dinner party or special occasion. Our duck breast a l’orange recipe combines duck breast with orange, Grand Marnier for a special touch, cream, and bouillon, and the result is a perfectly balanced dish. If you do not want to buy a whole bottle of Grand Marnier (or similar orange liqueur) just get a miniature, or even omit it if you prefer. This duck breast recipe is easy enough for any home cook to manage with ease, even if it is your first time .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- How to Cook Quinoa on the StoveQuinoa is quickly becoming a popular food in America and throughout the world. The fast spread of this low-fat superfood grain has led to people wondering how to cook it at home. Chances are you’ve probably eaten it at a restaurant or at a friend’s house. Now you’re wanting to know how to cook this amazingly tasty food for you and your family and you want to know how to cook quinoa on the stove. The good news is that quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is really easy to cook at home. It’s certainly no more difficult to cook than rice or buckwheat, which is good news for all of you that want a taste of this superfood without having to pay the high .....
- Easy Winkles RecipeWinkles are little black shellfish that look like snails. They may be enjoyed as part of a seafood platter or fruits de mer, or you can enjoy them as a snack by themselves, or with some bread and butter, as an easy winkles recipe appetizer. You can buy winkles either cooked or live but if you’re shopping for fresh ones (or picking your own) to make an easy winkles recipe, first you should check the smell. Good winkles smell slightly sweet and like the sea. They might move visibly. Live ones need to be rinsed in plenty of cold water before being soaked in salted water for half an hour before you boil them. Very Easy Winkles Recipe Ideas .....
- Benefits of PilatesPilates is a wonderful exercise to do if you want to strengthen your body while also becoming more flexible. A lot of Pilates is done on the ground. Mat work, as it’s called, helps you strengthen your core muscles and does so in a way that is easy on your back. There are many benefits of Pilates, some of which you can guess and others which might not be so immediately apparent when you begin. Some More Hot Content For You Elegant Old Bay Shrimp Appetizers Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers Tender Oven Baked Short Ribs Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta Decadent Chocolate Walnut Cake How to Make Vegetable Quiche IHOP Pancakes Copycat Recipe Bling .....
- Easy Summer Appetizer IdeasOne of the things that brings people together is the enjoyment of food. There are few things better than gathering around a table on a summer evening to snack and relax with friends. And there are easy summer appetizer ideas for all palates and occasions, so you won’t be stuck for choice. What makes appetizers so appealing when compared to full meals? Appetizers are usually bite size, making them easy to eat while socializing, and a table full of different options is far more exciting than committing to just one meal or flavor. Many summer appetizer ideas are not only easy to eat, but also easy to prepare. Cold appetizers are .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....
- Duck Galettes RecipeThese delicious galettes are easy and fast to make. You need to chill them partway through the recipe so you could make them in advance up until then if you are in a hurry. This duck galettes recipe is a highly unusual appetizer recipe which you might want to consider. Duck Galettes Recipe: French in Origin The correct term for one of these galettes is a ‘Breton galette’ since a galette is any kind of flat French savory cake, while a Breton galette means a flat, buckwheat pancake, so there is a difference. Including duck and potatoes, this recipe is not your average starter recipe so if you are looking for something extra special .....