British Beef and Ale Pie
This British beef and ale pie is a gorgeous recipe and it makes a filling lunch or evening meal, served with plenty of mashed potatoes, carrots and peas or carrots on the side. We are using shortcrust pastry here which is sturdy rather than flaky, along with braising or stewing steak. The flavors inside come from Worcestershire sauce, tomato, ale or stout and beef stock.
Start with Great Pastry
Although you can make your own shortcrust pastry for this British beef and ale pie if you want to, it is much quicker and easier to use readymade shortcrust pastry, and it tastes about the same too. You will be lining the pie dishes with pastry, adding the prepared filling and then putting pastry lids on to enclose the tasty filling.
You will need six 4-inch (10 cm) wide by 1 1/4 inch (3 cm) deep individual pie dishes to make these pies. Another idea is to make the whole thing in one large tin then you can serve the British beef and ale pie in slices rather than making individual ones.
The filling for our British beef and ale pie is made with stewing beef so it takes a couple of hours to cook to full tenderness, which is why you should plan this recipe in advance. Begin it a couple hours after lunch and it will be ready at dinner time. You can leave the mixture alone to simmer. Just keep the heat as low as possible, and check on it every now and then to ensure it is not sticking to the bottom or drying out.
- 1 oz (20g) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1½ lbs (700g) braising steak, in ¾-inch (2cm) cubes
- 3 chopped carrots
- 2 halved, thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato concentrate (tomato paste)
- 1 oz (25g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 10½ fl oz (300 ml) hot beef stock
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 pint (500 ml) dark ale, stout, Guinness or dark beer
- 1 lb 1 oz (500g) readymade shortcrust pastry
- 1 beaten egg, for glazing
- Heat the butter and oil in a casserole dish until the butter melts.
- Brown the meat in there in batches, then use a slotted spoon to set it aside.
- Add the carrots or onions and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and tomato concentrate.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Now it's time to stir in the flour and cook it for half a minute.
- Stir in the stock, sugar and ale, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat down.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and put a baking tray in there.
- Roll out half the shortcrust pastry and cut six 5½ inch (14 cm) rounds.
- Use these to line the bases of 6 pie dishes.
- Spoon in the filling.
- Brush some beaten egg over the pastry edges.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut out six 4-inch (10 cm) rounds.
- Top the pies with these rounds, either pinching the edges to crimp them or making another design on top with your fingers.
- Trim any overhanging pastry bits, then brush beaten egg on top of the pies.
- Now arrange the pie dishes on the warmed baking tray.
- Bake for half an hour or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Old Bay Shrimp and Apple SaladThis Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a gorgeous recipe. It looks really nice served in little glasses with edible flowers as a garnish, but it can also be served over lettuce or baby salad leaves if you prefer. This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a nice way to begin any kind of meal, and it is especially good during the summer when you don’t want to cook. We are using shrimp, and you can use little ones or chop larger ones. Make sure they are peeled and deveined first. Canned or thawed shrimp are fine here. You will also need some red apple and onion for crunch. The dressing for our Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is made with .....
- Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian SausageThis delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead. Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you .....
- Potato Pierogi RecipeThis potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular. Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, .....
- Anchovy and Melon Salad RecipeThis anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe? Aromatic Healthy Melon Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing......
- What is Tofu Exactly?Tofu is an ingredient which is made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into blocks. It is used in various East and Southeast Asian cuisines. Tofu can be fresh or processed, and its subtle flavor suits a variety of savory and sweet recipes. It is often marinated or seasoned before use. If you’re wondering what is tofu exactly, you might also be interested in its history. Tofu dates back nearly 2000 years to ancient China and during the Nara period its production technique was introduced into Korea and Japan. Tofu is low in calories, featuring a lot of protein but not much fat. It is also high in iron and .....
- Vintage 1970s Kitchen Ideas and Accessories1970s kitchen ideas are considered to be retro, and many people are choosing this style for their kitchens today. Retro is a style that can be difficult to determine; however, many designers consider the 1960s and 1970s to be the perfect retro era. Introducing Retro Vintage Kitchen Style Kitchens are the perfect place to use retro items, and you can enhance the room wonderfully using fewer accessories than you might think you need. It is not hard to find such pieces either, even though the seventies were 40 years ago. You can also get reproduction pieces in the iconic 70s design rather than vintage ones, depending what you prefer. Pick out .....
- How to Make Caramelized CarrotsLearn how to make caramelized carrots because this winning side dish goes with everything. This very easy recipe makes a lovely side dish. Carrots offer a natural sweetness but adding butter and a little sugar to the carrots gives them a wonderful crunchy glaze. Pair these with meat or poultry, adding some mashed potatoes too, for a great dish. I like to peel and chop mine into fat matchsticks but it’s up to you whether or not to peel, and also whether to cut them into slices, chunks or strips. The thinner they are cut the less time they will take to cook. How to Make Caramelized Carrots: Honey or Sugar I have made this recipe before .....
- Pet ID Tags for Dogs and CatsIf your pet ever gets lost then having an ID tag is an absolute must, so you can be reunited quickly and relatively easy. The longer a pet is missing the more that can go wrong, and let’s face it, our pets are so precious. They are like members of the family, so consider pet ID tags as a must-have. A lost animal might not be able to find his or her way home, so invest in one of these tags (many cost under $5, even the personalized engraved ones) and if anything does happen, whoever finds your pet will know how to contact you to let you know they found your dog or cat......
- AppetizersDiscover Amazing Appetizers The best starter recipes are the ones you feel would be most suitable for the occasion, plus those appetizers which go nicely before your chosen main course. Perhaps you want to make a hot meat starter recipe, a delicately flavored fish starter or something with eggs, cheese or even fruit. We have a lot of different starter recipes for you to browse and choose from, as well as plenty of handy starter making tips. You can make starters for two people to enjoy over a cozy dinner or lots of different snacks for a buffet or a big party. You will find plenty of choice here, when it comes to snacks and appetizers .....
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ BeefI often make this dish because it is so simple, and all you need to make it are 2 ingredients – beef and BBQ sauce. Any tough cut of beef which needs to be braised or slow cooked will work, so opt for braising or stewing steak, or something like skirt or flank. You will also need a crockpot and it is up to you whether you want to cook this 2 ingredient crockpot BBQ beef recipe on high, medium or low. How Long Should 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Beef Cook? Use high and the beef will be done in about 5 hours. Double that for low, and guess somewhere in between the 2 for medium. Of course, the exact time depends on your crockpot and the meat .....