Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers
You will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these.
Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation done that way.
Make the Stuffed Peppers Unique
Feel free to experiment with the filling in these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. If you want to use ground pork instead of ground beef, or use Swiss cheese or cheddar, just go ahead. You can also make the filling spicy if you want. There is no right or wrong way of making these, and you can just use this recipe as a guideline and make the dish however you want.
Serve these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers with a tossed green salad or with your favorite steamed vegetables. The reason I used red peppers is first because they are so colorful and cheering, and second because of the flavor. Red bell peppers are sweeter than green peppers but not so sweet as orange or yellow ones, so I find the flavor nicely in the middle of those extremes.
- 4 red bell peppers
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 7 ounce can diced tomatoes (reserve ¼ cup of the liquid)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced bell pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the tops off the peppers and discard the seeds and white bits inside.
- Saute the yellow onion and garlic in olive oil until the onion softens.
- Add the green onions and minced red bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes.
- Set the onion and garlic mixture to one side.
- Brown the ground beef and cook it through.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and bell pepper mixture.
- Then stir in the tomatoes, parsley, Italian seasoning, and seasoning salt.
- Stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stuff this mixture inside the hollow red bell peppers.
- Pour the reserved tomato liquid into a baking dish and then arrange the stuffed peppers in that dish.
- Top each one with a tablespoon of pizza sauce then mound the cheese on top of each.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
If you prefer your peppers to be tender rather than al dente, you can boil them whole for 5 minutes before stuffing and baking them. Take the tops off and remove the seeds first though.