Easy Beef Chow Mein
An easy beef chow mein is one of the tastiest Chinese dishes and if you are in the mood to rustle up your own, rather than ordering takeout, you can expect not only to save money but also to be able to enjoy a superior, more authentic flavor. You can make this easy beef chow mein in about 15 minutes flat, maybe less, and enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
Different Types of Chow Mein
Chow mein translates to mean fried noodles. Chow means ‘fried’ and ‘mein’ means noodles. There are 2 main variations of the dish – Hong Kong style which is with crispy noodles, or steamed chow mein.
In this recipe we are pairing beef and noodles with various vegetables (feel free to substitute any you don’t like for veggies you do) and keeping the seasoning simply by using soy sauce and oyster sauce, as well as a splash of sesame oil, to add that authentic Chinese flavor.
Easy Beef Chow Mein: Tweaks You Can Do
If you wish to make any other changes to your easy beef chow mein recipe, such as swapping the beef for chicken or seafood, or using just soy sauce instead of the oyster sauce and sesame oil, go ahead, and the dish will still be tasty.
See what you have in the cupboards and throw in anything you wish to use. That’s one of the great thing about noodles.
You can add all kinds of things and if you don’t have one of the ingredients just forget about it and add something else in the easy beef chow mein. Use egg noodles, wide flat noodles, udon noodles (not traditional but yummy) or another variety. Check the packaging because different noodles have different cooking times and some need to be pre-soaked.
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3½ oz (100g) can beansprouts, drained
- 7 oz (200g) soft noodles
- 3½ oz (100g) beef, cut into strips
- ⅓ chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ chopped carrot
- ½ chopped celery stalk
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1¾ oz (50g) canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained (optional)
- 1 sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Oyster sauce and sesame oil, to taste (optional)
- Stir-fry the beef, bell pepper, carrot and celery in 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok for 3 minutes, then remove to a dish.
- Add the rest of the oil to the wok and get it nice and hot.
- Add the noodles and beansprouts.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and veggies back in, along with the bamboo shoots, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Grind in some salt and white pepper, and add the soy sauce.
- You can also add a teaspoon or so of oyster sauce and/or sesame oil if you want.
- Stir-fry for another 3 minutes, then serve hot, garnished with green onions if liked.
To liven your easy beef chow mein up, adding a few red pepper flakes works well.
If you don't have white pepper, use black pepper (although white is more authentic in this recipe).
Some More Hot Content For You
- Carisma Potatoes – Diabetic Low GI PotatoesWhen my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes! Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called .....
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....
- Best Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeAre you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish. This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- Basic Prawn Cocktail RecipeA classic starter recipe, prawn cocktail is delicious and often features as a starter on Christmas day or another special occasion. This salad uses Salad Cream (a British condiment) but you can use mayonnaise in this basic prawn cocktail recipe if you prefer. Optional Tweaks There are lots of different prawn cocktail recipes and you can add halved cherry tomatoes or thin cucumber slices if you want. As long as the prawns are well drained, this recipe keeps well in the fridge for a few hours before serving. This is a very basic pawn cocktail recipe so if you are looking for something more elaborate, you might prefer to look at our classic .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....
- Crispy Baked Camembert RecipeCamembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture. How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve? This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg .....
- Lamb Coconut Curry with Sweet PotatoThis lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare. An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of .....
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- Chinese Recipes with PorkChinese roast pork, roast belly of pork, BBQ spare ribs, pork meatballs, sweet and sour pork… these are just some of the famous Chinese recipes with pork we know and love in the West. Once you grind or mince the pork, you can use it to make a pork wontons recipe, but pork is often chopped or shredded or even served whole in other classic Chinese dishes. Because pork is so common in China, the Chinese word for pork (‘yuk’ in Cantonese or ‘rou’ in Mandarin) is meat. Different recipes require different cuts of pork, depending on the cooking method and other ingredients in the dish. Chinese Recipes with Pork: Red-Cooked .....