Easy Beef Chow Mein
An easy beef chow mein is one of the tastiest Chinese dishes and if you are in the mood to rustle up your own, rather than ordering takeout, you can expect not only to save money but also to be able to enjoy a superior, more authentic flavor. You can make this easy beef chow mein in about 15 minutes flat, maybe less, and enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
Different Types of Chow Mein
Chow mein translates to mean fried noodles. Chow means ‘fried’ and ‘mein’ means noodles. There are 2 main variations of the dish – Hong Kong style which is with crispy noodles, or steamed chow mein.
In this recipe we are pairing beef and noodles with various vegetables (feel free to substitute any you don’t like for veggies you do) and keeping the seasoning simply by using soy sauce and oyster sauce, as well as a splash of sesame oil, to add that authentic Chinese flavor.
Easy Beef Chow Mein: Tweaks You Can Do
If you wish to make any other changes to your easy beef chow mein recipe, such as swapping the beef for chicken or seafood, or using just soy sauce instead of the oyster sauce and sesame oil, go ahead, and the dish will still be tasty.
See what you have in the cupboards and throw in anything you wish to use. That’s one of the great thing about noodles.
You can add all kinds of things and if you don’t have one of the ingredients just forget about it and add something else in the easy beef chow mein. Use egg noodles, wide flat noodles, udon noodles (not traditional but yummy) or another variety. Check the packaging because different noodles have different cooking times and some need to be pre-soaked.
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3½ oz (100g) can beansprouts, drained
- 7 oz (200g) soft noodles
- 3½ oz (100g) beef, cut into strips
- ⅓ chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ chopped carrot
- ½ chopped celery stalk
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1¾ oz (50g) canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained (optional)
- 1 sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Oyster sauce and sesame oil, to taste (optional)
- Stir-fry the beef, bell pepper, carrot and celery in 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok for 3 minutes, then remove to a dish.
- Add the rest of the oil to the wok and get it nice and hot.
- Add the noodles and beansprouts.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and veggies back in, along with the bamboo shoots, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Grind in some salt and white pepper, and add the soy sauce.
- You can also add a teaspoon or so of oyster sauce and/or sesame oil if you want.
- Stir-fry for another 3 minutes, then serve hot, garnished with green onions if liked.
To liven your easy beef chow mein up, adding a few red pepper flakes works well.
If you don't have white pepper, use black pepper (although white is more authentic in this recipe).
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Make Vegetable OmeletThis recipe is your best friend if you want to make a perfect vegetable omelet, and this is a skill everyone should know. Learning how to make vegetable omelet is very easy and you can serve this for any meal. Omelets can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and this recipe makes enough for 2 servings. You will love the perfect flavor and texture this offers. How to Make Vegetable Omelet: Some Handy Tips If you want to cut the fat and calories, swap the butter for margarine and use skim milk. You can also use reduced-fat cheese in it. As for the vegetables, pretty much anything works. Tomatoes, mushrooms, green onion, fresh herbs and .....
- Hot and Sour Soup – Chinese StyleHot and sour soup Chinese style is always good. It is sure to warm you up when you are feeling chilly, it offers a true Asian flavor in every sip, and it makes a lovely appetizer. There are different styles of hot and sour soup recipes to choose from, ranging from Chinese to Thai, from mild and aromatic to fiery hot. I love them all, or at least I love trying them all. Sometimes they are just that little bit too spicy for me! The good thing about making your own versions of hot and sour soup Chinese style though are that you can add as little or as much spice as you like. The following hot and sour soup Chinese style recipe makes a delicious .....
- Oysters in Chive Sauce RecipeOysters are great served either cold or warm like in this delicious seafood starter recipe. You can serve this as a canape or as a starter dish for a summer dinner. Oysters are not the cheapest type of seafood but they are special and you do not have to serve a lot to each diner. Make this oysters in chive sauce recipe and you won’t regret it. Oysters in Chive Sauce Recipe: Surprisingly Simple to Make A lot of people think twice about making oysters recipes because they are thought to be difficult but actually the opposite is true. Oysters are easy to work with. In this recipe for oysters you simply make the sauce and grill the oysters .....
- Pink Toilets and Pink Toilet SeatsPink toilets will make a statement, which is what many people want to do in their homes. The bathroom can often be the best place to be adventurous so don’t rule pink toilets out entirely! If you have a typically conservative taste, yet you want to step out of the box, choosing pink toilets could be the way to achieve this goal. There are no rules when it comes to designing your bathroom; therefore, colorful accessories and fixtures can be an excellent choice. Deciding on the Design, Style and Color of the Toilet Contemporary toilets and bathroom designs have become incredibly popular, and many people are choosing bright, vibrant .....
- Perfect Cheese FondueCheese fondue is an amazing dish made with melted cheeses and other ingredients, and served with chunks of bread for dipping. Making fondue is really simple, and largely just a matter of adding your ingredients to a fondue dish and letting them melt and blend. Some fondue sets use a flame while others are electric. You can also get different kinds, so if you like to make chocolate fondue or meat fondue, you might like to collect the fondue kits, since the thick earthenware cheese fondue bowl isn’t the one needed to make meat or chocolate fondue. Our recipe for cheese fondue is very simple to make and you will love the authentic cheese .....
- 1940s Kitchen StyleRetro kitchens are becoming more popular at the moment and it is a lot of fun to redecorate in the style of a certain era. 1940s style kitchens are particularly fun to create. Glass knobs, painted kitchen cabinets and vintage linens can be combined with modern appliances, for a functional and nice looking themed kitchen. You will not have to spend much money to get a 40s themed kitchen full of gorgeous 1940s kitchen style. Here are some good ideas to start you off – Lighting For an authentic 1940s style kitchen, try to keep the lighting simple. You can get wall sconces or vintage ceiling lights for an authentic look. You should add in .....
- All About Vaginal Yeast InfectionsA yeast infection that affects the vaginal area is commonly referred to as candidiasis as the infection is caused by the fungus Candida. This fungus is present throughout your body at all times. However, in the perfect environment, it can grow rapidly. In areas, which are moist and warm the fungus will thrive and becomes an issue. If you think that you are suffering with this form of yeast infection, there are several symptoms which are obvious. Vaginal yeast infections can be diagnosed by the symptoms or the fact you get them often (although not everyone does). You can either experience all of the symptoms or just a few, everyone is .....
- Thai Corn FrittersThese delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish. All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce. How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make .....
- Summer Fruits Ice TeaThis lovely summer fruits ice tea combines tea, honey and fruit with mint leaves. The result is refreshing and delicious. If you wish to make an alcoholic version, add a splash of Cointreau, Limoncello, Chambord or fruit brandy to the drink. If you are doing this and there are kids around, don’t forget to mark the pitcher so you know it’s for the grownup only. This tasty drink is tasty, refreshing and free from additives. A lot of commercial teas contain lots of added sugar, as well as artificial colors and flavorings, and those are all things we could happily do without. Feel free to tinker with the following recipe. Try adding .....
- Yeast Infections in Men and WomenYeast infections in men are more common than you may think although it’s fair to say many men tend to ignore their symptoms, which can lead to greater problems. The symptoms which men suffer with are incredibly similar to woman, and if diagnosed early can be treated easily. Men of all ages can suffer with yeast infections, and there are areas of the body, which are more likely to have issues. Many men dislike seeing a health professional, despite yeast infections in men being common. This leads to them suffering in silence, and not seeking help and advice. Embarrassment is often the cause of the denial, which is never a good idea, and .....