Easy Bobotie Recipe | South African Meat Dish
This easy bobotie recipe can be made with your choice of ground beef or lamb. A combination would also work. The dish is popular in South Africa. It is comparable to meatloaf or lasagna, but it is spiced and the topping is a savory egg-based custard.
I’ve made it several times and always love how the gently spiced meat layer contrasts with the rich and creamy topping. Served with yellow rice and/or a fresh green salad, this dish is something that never gets old. I like to make extra because it heats up well the following day for lunch.
If you’ve made meatloaf, lasagna or a similar ground meat dish, you will recognize several steps in this easy bobotie recipe. Even if you’re relatively new to it, there is still nothing difficult about making this delicious South African dish. It isn’t spicy so you can even make it for the kids. You might prefer to use a mild curry powder rather than a spicy one though, in that case.
History of Bobotie
As for the name itself, the exact origin of our easy bobotie recipe isn’t known for sure. It might have come from ‘boemboe’ which is Malayan for curry spices, or from ‘bobotok’ which is a similar Indonesian dish.
After the first bobotie recipe was printed in a 17th century Dutch cookbook, the recipe made its way to South Africa. The Cape Malay community added curry powder, and it was often served with sambal (a type of chili sauce).
The Cape of Good Hope has been serving this dish since its inception, using lamb and pork together. Modern bobotie recipes use beef, lamb or occasionally pork for extra moisture.
Lemon, marjoram and ginger would be added to earlier recipes but these days a pinch of mild curry powder is simpler. Some mango chutney also adds to the rich, fruity flavor and that is one ingredient I always have on hand because I love it so much, especially in British Indian recipes like coronation chicken or other mild curry dishes.
More Variations for Bobotie Recipes
There are other variations too. Some people add walnuts as a topping while others prefer almonds. Some use chopped onions and others like to add banana as a topping or even chutney. The more you make this easy bobotie recipe the more you will find yourself coming up with your own tweaks and favorite ingredients. Go ahead and experiment; that’s half the fun!
Our easy bobotie recipe is not spicy, and nor should the dish be. Rather it uses complex contrasts. There are both texture and flavor contrasts to be experienced.
One recipe dating back to 1933 used sugar, spices, lemon, vinegar and chilies to make the sauce, while another from 1923 incorporated bitter almond essence, lemon, sugar, onions, mutton and more to make a similar meal.
Modern Methods for an Easy Bobotie Recipe
Bobotie recipes were transported by South African settlers all over Africa. Today, recipes for it can be found that originated in white settler communities in Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia.
In the early 1900s Boer settlers in Argentina baked the bobotie inside a big pumpkin. However you choose to prepare and serve this easy bobotie recipe, rest assured everyone in the family is going to be wowed by its amazing flavor.
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2¼ cups (560ml) whole milk
- 2.2 lbs (1 kg) ground beef, lamb, pork or a mixture
- 2 chopped yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 peeled, cored and diced apples
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 4 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- Tear the bread into pieces and soak it in half the milk.
- Cook the meat and onion in a nonstick skillet until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato concentrate, raisins, mango chutney, soaked bread and milk, and apple.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a large ovenproof dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes then discard the foil cover.
- Mix the rest of the milk with the eggs and pour this over the top.
- Add the nuts and bay leaves and cook for 30 minutes more.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Benefits of PilatesPilates is a wonderful exercise to do if you want to strengthen your body while also becoming more flexible. A lot of Pilates is done on the ground. Mat work, as it’s called, helps you strengthen your core muscles and does so in a way that is easy on your back. There are many benefits of Pilates, some of which you can guess and others which might not be so immediately apparent when you begin. Some More Hot Content For You IHOP Pancakes Copycat Recipe How to Make Vegetable Quiche Handy Electric Cookware Reviews Easy UK Appetizer Ideas Perfect Pink Diamond Rings Authentic Scottsdale Stetson Salad Tender Oven Baked Short Ribs Decadent Chocolate .....
- Wonderful WontonsIf you are looking for an easy wonton recipe to impress your family, you are sure to find some very tempting wonton recipes right here. Everyone loves wonderful wontons and they are so easy to prepare. Maybe you are keen to try out meat wontons, fish wontons, dessert wontons, fried wontons, baked wontons or one of the best wonton soup recipes. There are so many wonderful wontons you can try! There are various ways to wrap wontons and ways to cook wontons so whether you fancy a crunchy filled wonton or a soft dumpling-like one, we have the best wonton recipes for you. It is easy to be spoilt for choice because all of these easy wonton recipes .....
- What is Thai Tea ExactlyPerhaps you are familiar with Thai tea, or maybe this drink is a new one to you. Whichever is the case, we are going to look a little closer at this beverage and find out some more about it. What is Thai tea exactly? Well let’s have a look. First of all, not all Thai teas are created equal – some have orange food coloring, others have no food coloring. Some are made with cardamom, vanilla and anise, some with just one or two of those. Chai tea is an Indian tea similar to Thai tea but not the same. Again, there are various recipes for that too. How to Drink Thai Tea Some people like theirs with Half and Half while others prefer .....
- Japanese Chicken CrackslawCrackslaw is usually made with Chinese ingredients but add some Teriyaki sauce and you get a sweeter result which also has a distinct Japanese flair. Whether you are counting your carbs or simply looking for something really tasty, this Japanese chicken crackslaw recipe is a real winner. Perhaps you have made the classic crack slaw recipe before and you wonder what a similar dish but made with slightly different flavors would taste like, in which case try this recipe for a change of pace. You may use canned or fresh chicken. It should be cooked before adding it to the recipe, so this is a great dish to make if you have leftover chicken to .....
- Creamy Pumpkin BakeThis creamy pumpkin bake is a low carb recipe you will love. Serve it as a snack, dessert or appetizer. There are very few ingredients required so this would be perfect for any home cook, novice, advanced, or anything between these two. Our creamy pumpkin bake is something you might already have all the ingredients for, so why not get stuck in and make this? It is quick and easy to prepare and you will be so glad you made it. I love pumpkin and it’s available for most of the year here in its fresh form. It also keeps a long time. I buy canned pumpkin and that lasts for ages in the pantry, but make sure you choose the sugar-free kind. .....
- Deep-Fry Like a Chinese ChefAlthough stir-frying is more popular in Chinese cuisine than deep-frying, it is worth learning both. Discover how to deep-fry like a Chinese chef and it will open up many new possibilities of Chinese dishes you can prepare. You can either use a wok or a deep-fat fryer for deep-frying. If you are using a wok, slide the food in carefully, as you will not want spattering if you are going to professionally deep-fry like a Chinese chef. Add the ingredients in small amounts and do not crowd the wok, else you might get spillage or spattering, or the temperature might drop too fast. Most recipes will suggest that you heat to oil to about 365 degrees .....
- Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red WineLamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing. So Much Appeal in this Dish Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make .....
- Best Breakfast Burrito RecipeA beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla. Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around .....
- Refreshing Orange Mint TeaAlthough this is called orange mint tea there is no actual tea in there, so it is more than an infusion. The mint leaves are steeped in the mixture though, like tea would be. Feel free to swap the sugar for honey or sweetener in this orange mint tea if you wish, and you can also serve it hot or warm, although it is especially good served cold. If you are growing your own fresh mint, take the opportunity to make this wonderfully refreshing tea with it. After dissolving the honey or sugar in the orange mint tea, you may cool it and freeze it for future use if you want. It freezes just fine. Else just serve it with plenty of ice. This is a .....
- Types of Bath Tubs and Bath TapsBathrooms are an essential part of every home, and they can be as modern or traditional as you desire. Every element of the bathroom can suit your taste and needs, ensuring that this room in your home is perfect. There are different types of bath tubs to choose from you can get the result you really want. There are essential items which all bathrooms need, including a sink, toilet, and shower or bath. If you are fortunate enough to have a large bathroom you can have both. Many people cannot live without their bath tub, and some will spend hours relaxing and soaking away their stresses after deciding which of the types of bath tubs is best .....