Easy Sukiyaki Recipe
One of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties.
Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes in there, although pork is more popular in some regions of Japan. Tofu, green onions, mushrooms, shirataki or jelly noodles, and Chinese cabbage are popular additions to a traditional sukiyaki recipe.
Different Kinds of Easy Sukiyaki Recipe
There are 2 main styles of sukiyaki – the Eastern Japanese style known as Kanto and the Western Japanese style known as Kansai. In the Kanto style, sake, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and dashi are heated in a pot then the meat goes in, then the other veggies. In the Kansai style, the meat goes in first, then the sauce, and then everything else.
Different Meats to Try
Pork used to be used more than beef in the Northern and Eastern areas of Japan because beef was expensive. Chicken, udon noodles and fish are sometimes found in an easy sukiyaki recipe. In most modern restaurants, beef is the meat of choice. Both varieties are served with raw eggs for dipping, along with steamed rice with some black sesame seeds in it.
- 1 cup (250ml) sukiyaki sauce (or 3½ fl oz sake, 3½ fl oz soy sauce and 1½ oz white sugar)
- 1 package tofu
- 1 package shirataki noodles
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms
- 1 package sukiyaki beef or sirloin beef
- ½ Chinese cabbage
- Button mushrooms or enoki mushrooms
- 1 green onion (spring onion)
- Baby sweetcorn
- 4 portions hot, cooked, white rice
- 4 lightly beaten raw eggs or 4 chopped hard-cooked eggs
- Chop all the ingredients into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a large pot and grease the base lightly.
- Add the beef and fry gently, then add the sukiyaki sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then add everything else to the pot.
- Simmer the sukiyaki for a few minutes, then serve with hot cooked rice.
- It is traditional to serve raw egg for dipping when presenting an easy sukiyaki recipe, but you can serve hard-boiled egg if you prefer.
Photo by: Naito8, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Beef and Potato Rissoles RecipeThese hot, tasty treats make a really delicious appetizer, so consider this beef and potato rissoles recipe if you want to make a hearty, delicious dish. The parsley, dill and thyme go really well with the beef and the currants and pine nuts add texture and flavor. Rissoles are quick and easy to make and you can serve them on a platter of lettuce leaves if you like. What are Rissoles? So what is the difference between a rissole and a hamburger patty, you might be wondering. Actually they are quite similar but a hamburger is often made with just meat and perhaps some seasonings, while rissoles often feature all kinds of added ingredients like .....
- Understanding Yeast Infection SymptomsYeast is present throughout your body at all times, and only becomes an issue when it begins to rapidly grow and you start to notice yeast infection symptoms. This fungus is something that everyone should be aware of, and understand the symptoms behind the infection. Once you understand the different symptoms, you can discover the solutions to this uncomfortable problem. Discovering the Different Forms You may be surprised to discover that vaginal yeast infections do vary and that there may only be a few similarities. This can make identifying yeast infection symptoms a little trickier. Each form of infection will need to be treated in a .....
- Chinese Recipes with PorkChinese roast pork, roast belly of pork, BBQ spare ribs, pork meatballs, sweet and sour pork… these are just some of the famous Chinese recipes with pork we know and love in the West. Once you grind or mince the pork, you can use it to make a pork wontons recipe, but pork is often chopped or shredded or even served whole in other classic Chinese dishes. Because pork is so common in China, the Chinese word for pork (‘yuk’ in Cantonese or ‘rou’ in Mandarin) is meat. Different recipes require different cuts of pork, depending on the cooking method and other ingredients in the dish. Chinese Recipes with Pork: Red-Cooked .....
- What are WontonsSo, What are Wontons Exactly? A wonton, which can also be spelt wanton, wuntun, won ton or wantan, is a type of Chinese dumpling. Wontons are made by wrapping your chosen filling in a wonton wrapper and then molding the wonton into the shape you like. You can dip your fingertip into water to moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper before sealing it – this helps it to stick better and stay closed, because the water dissolves the extra flour. Make sure you squeeze all the air out of the wonton, else it might rupture because of the internal pressure from the trapped air. What are wontons? Well they’re one of the most delicious little .....
- Pork Crack Slaw with Ginger and SesameThis pork crack slaw recipe is really good if you want to make use pork in a low carb dish. Featuring ginger, garlic and green onions, this pork crack slaw recipe has a strong Asian theme which you will love. The original crackslaw recipe is Asian and, while you can theme your crackslaw on Greek, Italian or another cuisine, the Chinese recipes always taste best, at least in my opinion. Ground pork is a budget choice and while it is often used to make meatballs or burgers it is also great in this recipe because it suits the Asian flavors and soaks up all the different tastes. It just works well! Pork Crack Slaw: Maybe Try a Ground Beef/Pork .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- Lebanese Cucumber Soup RecipeThis Lebanese cucumber soup recipe is a chilled soup. These soups are popular in the Middle East and you will find chilled soups very refreshing if you’re not used to them. Adding fresh mint helps with the cooling effect. Live, natural yogurt is a great ingredient because it’s very good for the digestion. Have you tried chilled soup before? The first chilled soup I ever tried was gazpacho, that tomato and vegetable soup from Spain which is always tasty and refreshing. I have also tried chilled watermelon soup and a strawberry soup too one time in a restaurant. This Lebanese cucumber soup recipe is different though because it is .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....
- Tastiest Marinade for SteakWe love a good steak in this house – rib-eye, filet mignon, sirloin, rump steak – the cut doesn’t matter because each of these boasts an incredible taste. When prepared correctly, steak has a melt-in-the-mouth texture. I don’t always use marinades when preparing steak but when I do I often use this one because it enhances the natural meaty steak flavor so well and for me this is for sure the tastiest marinade for steak. How Long to Marinate Steak in the Marinade A tough steak like chuck, skirt or flank can marinate overnight but if you are cooking something more delicate then 20 or 30 minutes is plenty long enough for .....