Easy Sukiyaki Recipe
One of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties.
Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes in there, although pork is more popular in some regions of Japan. Tofu, green onions, mushrooms, shirataki or jelly noodles, and Chinese cabbage are popular additions to a traditional sukiyaki recipe.
Different Kinds of Easy Sukiyaki Recipe
There are 2 main styles of sukiyaki – the Eastern Japanese style known as Kanto and the Western Japanese style known as Kansai. In the Kanto style, sake, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and dashi are heated in a pot then the meat goes in, then the other veggies. In the Kansai style, the meat goes in first, then the sauce, and then everything else.
Different Meats to Try
Pork used to be used more than beef in the Northern and Eastern areas of Japan because beef was expensive. Chicken, udon noodles and fish are sometimes found in an easy sukiyaki recipe. In most modern restaurants, beef is the meat of choice. Both varieties are served with raw eggs for dipping, along with steamed rice with some black sesame seeds in it.
- 1 cup (250ml) sukiyaki sauce (or 3½ fl oz sake, 3½ fl oz soy sauce and 1½ oz white sugar)
- 1 package tofu
- 1 package shirataki noodles
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms
- 1 package sukiyaki beef or sirloin beef
- ½ Chinese cabbage
- Button mushrooms or enoki mushrooms
- 1 green onion (spring onion)
- Baby sweetcorn
- 4 portions hot, cooked, white rice
- 4 lightly beaten raw eggs or 4 chopped hard-cooked eggs
- Chop all the ingredients into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a large pot and grease the base lightly.
- Add the beef and fry gently, then add the sukiyaki sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then add everything else to the pot.
- Simmer the sukiyaki for a few minutes, then serve with hot cooked rice.
- It is traditional to serve raw egg for dipping when presenting an easy sukiyaki recipe, but you can serve hard-boiled egg if you prefer.
Photo by: Naito8, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- What is Crème BrûléeLearning to how many crème brûlée is easy, and this creamy, sweet dessert is very tasty after any kind of main dish. Crème brûlée, sometimes mis-spelt as crème brule, is also known as crema catalana, Trinity cream and burnt cream. But what is creme brulee exactly? The rich custard base is topped with a hard caramel layer, and it is usually served at room temperature although it can also be served chilled if you want to make it ahead. More about Crème Brûlée Vanilla is the typical flavor for crème brûlée but there are other possibilities, including coconut, chocolate or coffee. This dessert dates back to at least the late 1600s. This dessert .....
- Easy Banana Cheesecake with a Vanilla CrustThere are many types of cheesecake to choose from – chocolate, caramel, strawberry… the list goes on. Banana cheesecake is especially good though, and better still it is easy to make. This dessert is wonderful after any kind of main dish and you will probably want seconds because it’s so good! Our recipe uses vanilla wafer cookies and butter to make the crust, then the main layer is made with mashed bananas, sugar, cornstarch, eggs, cream and vanilla. The banana cheesecake is baked briefly in a hot oven then finished off in a cooler oven. When the middle is nearly set but still a little jiggly it is done. How to Serve this .....
- iPad Mini – All You Need to KnowThe iPad Mini is causing a huge amount of attention, with people wanting to see what the next offering from Apple will bring for the dedicated fans. Everyone wants to buy a cheap iPad mini, or at least find out more about this new and exciting product. iPad vs. Mini iPad The traditional iPad has proven to be incredibly popular; however, there are some quirks that people do not like. Both the size and the price of the traditional iPad put a huge number of people off purchasing this unique gadget. However, the launch of the new mini iPad ensures that both of these issues are addressed. The new iPad mini was launched in November 2012 and offers .....
- How to Make Salsa in the Food ProcessorSalsa in a jar is usually an underwhelming experience, which is why making your own is such a good idea. Not only is making salsa very easy, but you are going to end up with something really delicious which you will be proud to serve with your tacos, fajitas, Mexican salad, or even with a bowl of your favorite chips, for dipping. Learn how to make salsa in the food processor and you can whip this up in mere minutes whenever you want it. Low Calorie but High Flavor Because tomatoes are very low in calories and they are the main component of the dish, salsa is a great choice if you want to make a low calorie dip. Knowing how to make salsa in .....
- How to Make Mulled WineMulled wine is a hot beverage which is popular during the chillier months. This red wine-based cocktail is really flavorful and you will be able to taste the spices and fruit which go into it. Once you know how to make mulled wine you will often want to prepare it for chilly fall and winter evenings. Our recipe is made with apple cider or juice, red wine and other flavorings. It is actually tastier the day after you make it and even more so the following day if you have any left by then! Mulled wine is nice served in clear mugs so you can see the lovely color, and you can decorate the glasses with some orange zest or orange slices. How to .....
- Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and RawWhat is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting! First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some .....
- Tasty Tuna Fishcake RecipeIf you are looking for an easy tuna fishcake recipe, this one is simple to make and very tasty. The sweet potatoes add a Caribbean flavor and the canned tuna works very well in this fishcake recipe. For fish cakes tuna is always a good choice because it is tasty. Canned tuna is better than fresh tuna for fish cake recipes because it is more moist. Fresh or Canned Fish for a Tuna Fishcake Recipe? Salmon is often used to make fishcakes, both the fresh kind and the canned kind, but tuna is also popular. When making fishcakes it is usually better to use either leftover cooked fish (if it needs to be used up) or canned fish. Save the fresh filets .....
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- Why Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes are Wonderfully UniqueAlthough you might have enjoyed wontons at a Chinese restaurant or from a takeout, there is nothing quite like the flavor of homemade wontons. Easy wonton recipes are great and there’s nothing quite like them! Yes, they have a beautiful fresh flavor and of course you can decide what type of wontons you wish to prepare. Homemade wontons are wonderfully unique because you can experiment with the fillings and flavorings, perhaps making spicy wontons with a cooling dipping sauce, mild-flavored wontons with a spicy dipping sauce, or even traditional wonton soup or healthy baked wontons. It is totally up to you how to make them, and you can .....
- 1940s Kitchen StyleRetro kitchens are becoming more popular at the moment and it is a lot of fun to redecorate in the style of a certain era. 1940s style kitchens are particularly fun to create. Glass knobs, painted kitchen cabinets and vintage linens can be combined with modern appliances, for a functional and nice looking themed kitchen. You will not have to spend much money to get a 40s themed kitchen full of gorgeous 1940s kitchen style. Here are some good ideas to start you off – Lighting For an authentic 1940s style kitchen, try to keep the lighting simple. You can get wall sconces or vintage ceiling lights for an authentic look. You should add in .....