Finnish Beef and Onion Pasties Recipe
A wonderful quick recipe which features beef, onion and more. These little Finnish beef and onion pasties are one of our most interesting starter recipes and they are so easy to make.
Serve these Finnish beef and onion pasties hot, warm or chilled and you can guarantee they will be popular. In fact you might want to double up the recipe, especially if you are catering for a buffet or a big gathering.
Not Too Different from British Food
Not everyone is accustomed to eating Finnish food but these Finnish beef and onion pasties could pass for British cuisine. The tasty pastry encloses the beef filling and these hot little treats will certainly be very popular. These make good starter recipes during the colder months when people not only assume they will be getting hot starter recipes but they actually crave them too.
Have you tried Cornish pasties (hand-pies) or other kinds of pies from the UK? If you liked those then you will probably also like these Finnish beef and onion pasties because they offer the same kind of appeal.
- 1½ tablespoons water or milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g (14 oz) cooked beef mince (ground beef), drained well
- Oil for frying
- Mix half the flour with half the milk or water.
- Add half the salt, the oil and the rest of the flour to create a firm dough.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out and cut into 24 pieces. Roll out each piece to about 15 cm (6 inches).
- Combine the beef, pepper and onion and divide this mixture between each pastry disc.
- Close each pasty and crinkle the dough with a fork so it seals well.
- Make a hole with a fork in the top of each one.
- Fry, holes side down, in a skillet until the pie is browned, the edges are golden and the pasties are hot.
These Finnish beef and onion pasties are so enjoyable. This might not be one of the most common types of appetizers but they are certainly delicious. The beef filling is flavored with onion and pepper, for a simple, rustic result. Serve one or two per person or offer these at a buffet or as finger food. If you are doing the finger food option you must let them cool down a bit first, else people might burn their mouths. Finnish food is worth experimenting with and making these typical Finnish pasties is a great way to start looking into this yummy cuisine. Known as hand pies in the US, these pasties (pronounced PAH-steez) are typically British or, in this case, Finnish.
Image courtesy of JoelK75, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- Gourmet Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes and ProscuittoGnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate. I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of .....
- Moroccan Appetizer RecipesExperimenting with food and flavors is part of the fun when discovering new recipes and Moroccan food is often considered to be exotic and exciting. Why not experiment with Moroccan appetizer recipes and discover a brand new flavor sensation? Authentic Moroccan cuisine is straightforward, yet full of distinctive flavors and aromas. There is no other cuisine quite like it. You might never have considered cooking Moroccan food before but there is a huge array of different Moroccan appetizer recipes to choose from and no matter which ingredients you like to use, or what taste you want to aim for, there is sure to be a perfect recipe for you to .....
- Chili with Baked PotatoChili is always good, especially when served on a baked potato with some grated cheese on top, and perhaps also some sour cream or guacamole if you like it. Try chili with baked potato for lunch and see how satisfying this dish is. Chili is versatile enough to be tweaked a lot, so not only can you choose how spicy you want it but you can also choose the ingredients which go in there, such as kidney beans or another kind of bean, garlic, even some grated Mexican chocolate or cocoa powder if you wish. This recipe shows you how to make a simple chili con carne recipe using ingredients guaranteed to come together seamlessly and offer an .....
- Ginger Roasted Pork with ThymePork tenderloin suits flavors like fruit, apple or even ginger, which is why we are using ginger in this roasted pork recipe. Along with thyme, the ginger gives the pork a really good flavor, and after the pork is cooked, we are giving it a couple of minutes under the broiler just to crisp up the top and caramelize the preserves, adding a mouthwatering sweetness and crunch. This ginger roasted pork recipe is sure not to disappoint. This is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and perhaps some roasted vegetables. You might want to arrange some chopped veggies around the pork and roast them together. Leftover pork can be served with potato .....
- Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian SausageThis delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead. Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you .....
- Classic Prawn CocktailThis classic prawn cocktail recipe combines succulent Atlantic prawns with a homemade Marie Rose sauce and more. Shell-on prawns are the best variety to use for both texture and flavor. Classic Prawn Cocktail: Tips for the Prawns You can make a nice risotto stock from the shells after peeling them too. Most Atlantic prawns are sold cooked and frozen and the best way to defrost them is to leave the in the fridge for several hours. Don’t defrost them in water because they will lose some of their flavour. When you peel them, you should split them almost in half through their backs and remove the bitter dark vein running through them. This .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- Parma Ham with Melon RecipeThis Parma ham with melon recipe is super easy and makes a great bite before any kind of main meal. Parma ham and melon are wonderful together. The delicate texture and saltiness of the Parma ham is the perfect contrast to the juicy sweetness of the melon. No wonder this is such a classic starter recipe. Always Up to Date Not only is this Parma ham with melon recipe a classic flavor pairing but it is also a timeless starter. What could be simpler than draping thin slices of ham over melon wedges? You only need 2 ingredients to make it so this is a good dish for any home chef to work on, even a total beginner. If you can make a cup of tea, .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....