Finnish Beef and Onion Pasties Recipe
A wonderful quick recipe which features beef, onion and more. These little Finnish beef and onion pasties are one of our most interesting starter recipes and they are so easy to make.
Serve these Finnish beef and onion pasties hot, warm or chilled and you can guarantee they will be popular. In fact you might want to double up the recipe, especially if you are catering for a buffet or a big gathering.
Not Too Different from British Food
Not everyone is accustomed to eating Finnish food but these Finnish beef and onion pasties could pass for British cuisine. The tasty pastry encloses the beef filling and these hot little treats will certainly be very popular. These make good starter recipes during the colder months when people not only assume they will be getting hot starter recipes but they actually crave them too.
Have you tried Cornish pasties (hand-pies) or other kinds of pies from the UK? If you liked those then you will probably also like these Finnish beef and onion pasties because they offer the same kind of appeal.
- 1½ tablespoons water or milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g (14 oz) cooked beef mince (ground beef), drained well
- Oil for frying
- Mix half the flour with half the milk or water.
- Add half the salt, the oil and the rest of the flour to create a firm dough.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out and cut into 24 pieces. Roll out each piece to about 15 cm (6 inches).
- Combine the beef, pepper and onion and divide this mixture between each pastry disc.
- Close each pasty and crinkle the dough with a fork so it seals well.
- Make a hole with a fork in the top of each one.
- Fry, holes side down, in a skillet until the pie is browned, the edges are golden and the pasties are hot.
These Finnish beef and onion pasties are so enjoyable. This might not be one of the most common types of appetizers but they are certainly delicious. The beef filling is flavored with onion and pepper, for a simple, rustic result. Serve one or two per person or offer these at a buffet or as finger food. If you are doing the finger food option you must let them cool down a bit first, else people might burn their mouths. Finnish food is worth experimenting with and making these typical Finnish pasties is a great way to start looking into this yummy cuisine. Known as hand pies in the US, these pasties (pronounced PAH-steez) are typically British or, in this case, Finnish.
Image courtesy of JoelK75, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- Elegant Seafood Fettucine with Lemon and DillTry this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe if you are out to impress. This is the perfect go-to recipe for a dinner party because it pairs seafood with pasta and it looks like a true gourmet dish on the plate, although to be honest it is really easy to put together. As well as the fettuccine pasta you will need mixed seafood, and for your flavors you will be adding lemon, dill and a touch of Tabasco sauce – flavors which are amazing with seafood. For this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe, the pasta is cooked in one pan while the seafood mixture is cooked in another. You then have the choice of either combining .....
- Vegan Parsnip Crisps RecipeThis vegan parsnip crisps recipe is really well worth making. The crisps (chips) are made from parsnips. You can serve them as they are or with any dip you like, such as an onion dip, hummus or a salsa. These are one of our easiest vegan recipes. Vegan Parsnip Crisps: Crispy Crunchy Appeal Crisps are normally made from potatoes of course, and then you have ones made with sweet potatoes, but these are very similar, albeit offering a slightly more unusual flavor. Parsnips are tasty and versatile. They can be roasted or used to make a mash, or they might go in a soup or stew. Parsnips are lovely roasted and served alongside a roast, even a nut .....
- Incredible Pink Diamond RingsLook at these amazing pink diamond rings. Every lady loves diamonds. They are a girl’s best friend after all. But pink ones can be truly stunning, and they are really popular at the moment, especially in celebrity circles. Have you seen a real pink diamond? These stones are incredible. You can get real, lab-created or imitation pink diamonds of varying qualities. So pick something which fits not only your style but your budget. Different Options for Different Budgets You can get a pink ‘diamondlike’ CZ ring for $20 or a high quality genuine one for $10,000. It depends how much you are willing to spend on pink diamond rings. .....
- Tips for Great WontonsOne of the best tips for great wontons is just to make them. Pick out an easy wonton recipe, perhaps a wonton soup or steamed wontons, and make them. Try your best and you will find it easy, maybe not the first time you try but don’t worry, you’ll soon be a pro! Your first batch might not look perfect. In fact, they might be a bit messy, since nobody learns to fold the perfect-looking wonton on their first attempt but, like with most things, the more practice you have the better you will become. Wonderful Wonton Soup Wonton soup is especially great for starting off with, because you can use a broth mix or some stock you have made .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Middle Eastern Shakshuka RecipeShakshuka is a Middle Eastern tomato, bell pepper and egg dish. Sometimes it is spelt shakshouka. This Middle Eastern shakshuka recipe actually originated in Northern Africa and there are many different variations on the basic theme. The feta cheese is not a traditional ingredient, for example, but I love to add it because the creamy tang goes so well with the dish. Leave it out if you prefer though. How to Serve a Middle Eastern Shakshuka Recipe It is often served for breakfast in Israel with challah or pita on the side. The dish is also good for brunch or lunch. I like it with pita bread, homemade hummus and other Middle .....
- Potato Pierogi RecipeThis potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular. Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, .....
- Easy French Macaron RecipeA macaron is a French meringue-based treat, made with powdered sugar, white sugar, egg white, almond and food coloring. These delicious little bites are often composed of two macarons sandwiched together with buttercream, jam or ganache, and you can get many different flavors. You can even make your own easy French macaron recipe. Don’t confuse macarons (with one O) with macaroons (with two O’s) – the latter are heavy, coconut cookies. Macarons are been around for hundreds of years, and they are believed to date back to 8 AD. Italian pastry chefs accompanying Catherine de Medici in 1533 when she married Henry II of France, .....
- Steamed Vegetable WontonsSteaming wontons is one of the very best ways to cook them because you do not have to cook them in oil or fat, and steaming them means the wonton wrapper will be lovely and soft. Steamed vegetable wontons can be added to wonton soup or served as they are, with a flavorful dipping sauce, as an appetizer, snack or side dish. The following recipe for steamed vegetable wontons shows you how to make a tasty wonton filling with various veggies, as well as some soy sauce for a simple yet mouthwatering flavor. The vegetables are cooked briefly with the soy sauce, then this mixture goes into the wonton skins and the wontons are steamed until they are .....
- Bone Broth Recipes and Bone Broth BenefitsBone broth is a slow-cooked soup made from animal bones which are filled with magnesium and calcium, along with collagen. This beverage is a great addition to any diet, especially if you have skin problems, immunity issues or digestive trouble, because it can help with those. There has been a lot of talk lately about how to make bone broth recipes, with people wondering not only how to get the ingredients and make it, but also why it is so popular and what nutrients it includes. Combined with apple cider vinegar (to coax the minerals out of the bones) and seasonings or vegetables, bones make a tasty, nutritious broth which will keep for .....