How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a Pan
T bone steak is relatively lean and extremely tasty. Choose one with a nice red color and a bit of marbling and then you can pan fry it for amazing results. If you usually grill your steaks, consider pan-frying instead because you will still get a really good flavor, plus ‘grill marks’ if you are using a griddle pan (a ribbed pan) and if the weather isn’t quite warm enough to fire up the grill, you can still cook your T bone to perfection. Learn how to cook a T bone steak in a pan and you can prepare a side dish in the oven at the same time, and always know how to make juicy, tasty steak.
Cooking the T bone steak in a pan means you can bring out its wonderful flavor and sear it beautifully. The T bone comes from beef top loin and it is so named because of the shape of the bone. One steak offers about 300 calories, 20g of protein and no carbs.
The hot surface of your pan will sear the steak and you do not have to add extra fat to the pan when cooking a T bone in this way if you use a cast iron pan or griddle pan.
How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a Pan – An Important Tip
It is important to let a steak come to room temperature before cooking and that applies to all steaks and all cooking methods, so it is good practice. Either let it sit on the counter for about 45 minutes or wrap it tightly and let it sit in room temperature water for half an hour if you’re in a rush.
Preparing the Steak
Rub it with olive oil, not too much, and add salt and pepper, or a rub if you prefer. The salt will pull the juices out of the center of the meat and these juices will soak back into the meat as it cooks, keeping it succulent.
How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a Pan Perfectly
Use a high heat and pan fry it quickly, not adding the steak to the pan until the pan is already hot. Cook it for about 7 minutes and flip it over using tongs.
Cook it until it is done the way you want, but I suggest not going over medium-rare if you want the juiciest, tenderest result. An instant-read thermometer is useful for determining doneness.
When the steak is still about 5 degrees below the temperature you are going for, take it out of the pan and let it sit under loosely tented foil for 10 minutes or so, for the juices to redistribute. So what temperature are you going to cook it to?
Here are the guidelines:
- Rare is 120 degrees F
- Medium rare is 145 degrees F
- Medium is 160 degrees F
- Well done is 170 degrees F
Serve your side with a classic side dish such as fries or a baked potato, a creamy dressing topped green salad, onion rings, breaded mushrooms, or coleslaw. Corn on the cob is also great with T bone steak. Now you know how to cook a T bone steak in a pan you will be able to make this tasty treat anytime.
- 1½ lbs (675g) bone-in T-bone steak
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Half an hour before cooking take the steak out of the refrigerator.
- Let it come to room temperature.
- Heat a skillet or griddle pan over a high heat.
- Pat the meat dry and rub a little oil over it.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat slightly and cook the T bone for 7 minutes.
- Flip it over and cook until done to your liking.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the meat off the bone and carve it across the grain.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Pasta Salad with Parmesan CheesePasta salad is always a winning dish. It is cheap to make, you can use leftover cooked pasta or cook some in about 10 minutes, and there are all kinds of flavors you can add to this easy pasta salad with parmesan cheese. In this recipe we are keeping with the Italian theme (although you might like to look at our Indian pasta salad for a wonderful fusion idea!) by incorporating parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Dressing Tweaks Although the tangy red wine vinegar dressing is good, sometimes I prefer to just use mayo for a super-simple dressing which boasts a lovely creaminess everyone is going to love. You can add other flavors to the .....
- 7 Great Cheeseburger TipsSometimes nothing can beat the comfort food appeal of a juicy, freshly cooked hamburger. If you make cheeseburgers at home, you might be interested in learning a few handy cheeseburger tips to ensure your burgers always come out perfectly. One of the most important parts of your cheeseburger is the meat you use for the patty. For the best results, you should choose 80/20 ground meat. That means it is 80% lean and 20% fat. If you use lean, or worse still extra-lean, meat, you will end up with a dry burger, and that is never attractive. Fat isn’t the enemy. Serve your burger with some salad or a vegetable side dish to balance out the .....
- Amazing Quinoa Burger RecipeThese delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe. Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot. It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab .....
- Stuffed Mini Peppers with Goat CheeseThese stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese make an incredible appetizer and my husband and I both love them. Where we live we can buy them in different varieties – some are sweet while others are spicy. One store uses the pointy end of spicy chilies as their ‘mini’ peppers while others use mini sweet peppers, mostly red but sometimes green or yellow. Green is more savory while yellow (and orange to a lesser extent) is sweeter. Whichever peppers you use in this stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese recipe, the flavor of these little bites is going to be fantastic. See what they sell in your local food market and decide .....
- iPad Mini – All You Need to KnowThe iPad Mini is causing a huge amount of attention, with people wanting to see what the next offering from Apple will bring for the dedicated fans. Everyone wants to buy a cheap iPad mini, or at least find out more about this new and exciting product. iPad vs. Mini iPad The traditional iPad has proven to be incredibly popular; however, there are some quirks that people do not like. Both the size and the price of the traditional iPad put a huge number of people off purchasing this unique gadget. However, the launch of the new mini iPad ensures that both of these issues are addressed. The new iPad mini was launched in November 2012 and offers .....
- 4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran CanariaThere are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy. Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams......
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- Easy Salmon Patties with BreadcrumbsWhip up some of these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs and you have a quick and easy evening meal for the whole family. I use canned salmon to make these easy salmon patties but you could use tuna instead or even crab. Just ensure it is drained well before incorporating with the other ingredients. Drain the salmon in a sieve and then combine it with a beaten egg, some onion and breadcrumbs, and that is all you need to add to make easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs. If you want to add extra ingredients though, go ahead and consider herbs, garlic, or anything else you wish to throw in there. I use a food processor to combine the .....
- Mouthwatering Mexican Crack Slaw RecipeAlthough crack slaw is an Asian dish and is usually made with Chinese seasonings, there is no reason you cannot experiment with the dish and find your own preferred way of making it. Since this Mexican crack slaw is such a good Atkins diet recipe it is worth knowing a few variations so you don’t get bored with it. You can make it Mexican, Greek, Spanish or use other herbs, spices and seasonings to give it a totally different feel. The dish is mainly meat, poultry or fish, along with vegetables and seasonings. You won’t even miss the carbs, I promise! Typical Mexican Flavors The following Mexican crack slaw recipe shows you how to .....
- The Atlantic Rally for CruisersThe Atlantic Rally for Cruisers is incredible and attracts thousands of spectators every year as it leaves Las Palmas in Gran Canaria for Rodney Bay, Santa Lucia. Every year since 1986, this amazing transatlantic rally has set sail and crossed the 2700 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean. The event begins in November and attracts over 200 yachts from all over the world. The ARC, as the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been named, is considered to be the most successful sailing event in the world and attracts amateurs as well as professionals from over 20 different countries. For many keen sailors this opportunity is a once in a lifetime dream. .....