How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a Pan
T bone steak is relatively lean and extremely tasty. Choose one with a nice red color and a bit of marbling and then you can pan fry it for amazing results. If you usually grill your steaks, consider pan-frying instead because you will still get a really good flavor, plus ‘grill marks’ if you are using a griddle pan (a ribbed pan) and if the weather isn’t quite warm enough to fire up the grill, you can still cook your T bone to perfection. Learn how to cook a T bone steak in a pan and you can prepare a side dish in the oven at the same time, and always know how to make juicy, tasty steak.
Cooking the T bone steak in a pan means you can bring out its wonderful flavor and sear it beautifully. The T bone comes from beef top loin and it is so named because of the shape of the bone. One steak offers about 300 calories, 20g of protein and no carbs.
The hot surface of your pan will sear the steak and you do not have to add extra fat to the pan when cooking a T bone in this way if you use a cast iron pan or griddle pan.
How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a Pan – An Important Tip
It is important to let a steak come to room temperature before cooking and that applies to all steaks and all cooking methods, so it is good practice. Either let it sit on the counter for about 45 minutes or wrap it tightly and let it sit in room temperature water for half an hour if you’re in a rush.
Preparing the Steak
Rub it with olive oil, not too much, and add salt and pepper, or a rub if you prefer. The salt will pull the juices out of the center of the meat and these juices will soak back into the meat as it cooks, keeping it succulent.
How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a Pan Perfectly
Use a high heat and pan fry it quickly, not adding the steak to the pan until the pan is already hot. Cook it for about 7 minutes and flip it over using tongs.
Cook it until it is done the way you want, but I suggest not going over medium-rare if you want the juiciest, tenderest result. An instant-read thermometer is useful for determining doneness.
When the steak is still about 5 degrees below the temperature you are going for, take it out of the pan and let it sit under loosely tented foil for 10 minutes or so, for the juices to redistribute. So what temperature are you going to cook it to?
Here are the guidelines:
- Rare is 120 degrees F
- Medium rare is 145 degrees F
- Medium is 160 degrees F
- Well done is 170 degrees F
Serve your side with a classic side dish such as fries or a baked potato, a creamy dressing topped green salad, onion rings, breaded mushrooms, or coleslaw. Corn on the cob is also great with T bone steak. Now you know how to cook a T bone steak in a pan you will be able to make this tasty treat anytime.
- 1½ lbs (675g) bone-in T-bone steak
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Half an hour before cooking take the steak out of the refrigerator.
- Let it come to room temperature.
- Heat a skillet or griddle pan over a high heat.
- Pat the meat dry and rub a little oil over it.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat slightly and cook the T bone for 7 minutes.
- Flip it over and cook until done to your liking.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the meat off the bone and carve it across the grain.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Steamed Vegetable WontonsSteaming wontons is one of the very best ways to cook them because you do not have to cook them in oil or fat, and steaming them means the wonton wrapper will be lovely and soft. Steamed vegetable wontons can be added to wonton soup or served as they are, with a flavorful dipping sauce, as an appetizer, snack or side dish. The following recipe for steamed vegetable wontons shows you how to make a tasty wonton filling with various veggies, as well as some soy sauce for a simple yet mouthwatering flavor. The vegetables are cooked briefly with the soy sauce, then this mixture goes into the wonton skins and the wontons are steamed until they are .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....
- Rune Stones – A Beginner’s GuideWhat are rune stones? Well, rune stones, or runes as they are also known, are a system of communication, decision making and divination. There are 24 runes in a set and they are like an alphabet of the North and North Central Europe. To Buy or Make Rune Stones You can buy runes from New Age shops or online, but a lot of people like to make their own, and you can use stones or discs made from wood. Rune stones are often engraved but some are painted or drawn on instead. One way to make your own runes would be to find 24 similar size pebbles or cut 24 discs out of wood, and write on each one with a black marker pen. Some More Hot Content For .....
- Authentic Thai Chicken Soup RecipeYesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe. Thai Food Inspiration While I was having this .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- Ideas for StartersYou might already have some thoughts in your mind of which recipe you want to make, and some clever ideas for starters for your next meal or dinner party. Perhaps you fancy making a hot chicken or beef dish. What about chicken sate, mini beef rissoles or something spicy? Maybe you were thinking about making vol-au-vents or a fruity salad, in which case they are good, wholesome and classic dishes too. But what about if you are totally stuck for inspiration and starter ideas? The best way to decide which ideas for starters to go with is to ask yourself a few questions. If you don’t already have ideas for starters, think about your .....
- Best Baked Chicken Breast with Cream of Chicken SoupThis baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe is quick and easy. It makes a great family dinner and everyone at the table will enjoy it. All you need to make this is chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning. The resulting baked chicken breast with cream of chicken is juicy and delicious, and pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, and pretty much any vegetable. Try asparagus, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, or even colorful mixed veggies. An Incredibly Easy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Anyone can make this baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe because it is really simple, .....
- Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken WingsChicken wings are always a good choice because they are full of flavor and nice to pick up and eat with the fingers. This sweet and sour sesame chicken wings recipe adds an Asian spin to the chicken, offering a wonderful sweet and sour flavor which you will love. There are different ways to cook chicken wings. You might want to deep fry them with or without a coating, pan fry them, grill them, or even bake them in the oven. The chicken wings in this recipe are flavored and then baked in the oven until they are crispy and perfectly cooked. These sweet and sour sesame chicken wings are unique. The chicken wings are flavored with garlic and .....
- Finding the Best Blue Kitchen AccessoriesBlue kitchen accessories have become a popular way to enhance your kitchen and make it look and feel appealing, a room you want to spend more time in. As people have begun to be more adventurous with their color schemes, blue is a popular addition to every kitchen although you do need to ensure that the shade of blue that you use is neither too pale nor too dark. Your kitchen will be a room in which you spend many hours throughout the day so it definitely needs to be inviting and never have a ‘cold’ feel. You can get the perfect balance with blue kitchen accessories rather than having everything blue in that room. Accessorizing .....
- Charming Chicken PotstickersThese chicken potstickers are so good. One is never enough. Ten is too many. Well maybe. They’re just so tasty you’ll want to keep popping them into your mouthy! Potstickers are an Asian delight, and these little snacks are usually filled with meat and vegetables, along with Chinese seasonings. Pork is often used, but here we are using chicken instead. This chicken potstickers recipe is very simple to make and the potstickers make fantastic appetizers, whether you want to serve hot snacks with drinks, or a first course before your entree at dinner. You can use turkey if you prefer it to chicken. Along with the poultry these .....