How to Griddle Steak Like a Pro
Steak is one of the most popular cuts of meat but unfortunately a lot of people are rather clueless about how to transform a raw steak into something flavorful, tender and perfectly cooked. Perhaps it is your first time cooking steak or maybe you are keen to find out some griddle tips, because this ridged pan is so handy in the kitchen. Either way, read on for my foolproof recipe and learn how to griddle steak like a pro every time you make it.
Barbecuing is one of the best ways to cook this cut of meat, because you can’t beat the lovely smoky flavor, but what happens if you can’t barbecue and you don’t want to pan-fry? The answer is using a ridged griddle pan. Not only can you cook the steak without adding any fat, but you can make crisscross marks on it and they add a certain charm to the meat. See how knowing how to griddle steak means you can rustle up something really amazing?
I cook strip steaks all the time, usually with the griddle. We live in the Netherlands and don’t have room on our tiny balcony for any kind of grill. I like to use the griddle for meat, chicken, even salmon. I haven’t used it for sweet items like griddled bananas, but the sky is the limit and you could use it with any meat, fish, veggies or sweet ingredients, anything you wish to cook on the stove and give nice grill-marks to.
How to Griddle Steak: A Very Important Tip
Anyway, one of the most important tips of all about griddling steak is to let the meat come to room temperature before doing anything, and that is going to take about 45 minutes depending on the temperature in your kitchen and the size of the steaks, of course).
If you choose not to do this, the chilled steak is going to seize up on the hot griddle and it will come out tough instead of tender, and nobody wants that! So let it come to room temperature – that is the best advice I can give you about learning how to griddle steak.
- 2 strip steaks (or your favorite cut, maybe filet mignon or rump)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the steaks before you do anything else (adding salt too late will encourage moisture to come out of the steaks which is not what you want).
- Allow the steaks to come to room temperature. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Put the griddle over a hot flame and give it a few minutes to get nice and hot.
- Flick a droplet of water on the griddle.
- If it 'dances' the griddle is hot enough.
- Add the steaks to the griddle and let them cook for a couple of minutes without touching them.
- Don't press them down, don't move them around, just leave them alone.
- After a couple of minutes have passed you can flip the meat, using a wide spatula.
- Cook the steak until it is done the way you like it, then let it sit on a plate for 10 minutes covered loosely in aluminum foil.
- Resting the steaks allows the juices to redistribute and keeps the meat extra-juicy.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes and a nice glass of red wine if liked.
Use a meat thermometer if you are not confident with the pressing on the steak technique to test for doneness. These are the temperatures you need to know.
120°F (48.8 C) = Rare
130°F (54.4 C) = Medium rare (my recommendation!)
140°F (60°C) = Medium
150°F (65.5°C) = Medium well
160°F (71.1°C) = Well done
You can either add your salt and pepper 45 minutes before cooking the steak or right before putting it in the griddle because it draws out the juices then lets them settle on the crust. Don't salt steak more than 2 minutes or less than 40 minutes before cooking it!
Lodge L8SGP3 Pre-Seasoned Square Grill Pan, 10.5-inch
This grill pan, or griddle pan, is a great addition to the kitchen. It is ribbed to allow the fat to drip out of your food, and it is pre-seasoned so you can start using it right away. Once you know how to griddle steak you are ready to use this excellent grill pan to do it.
The handle is sturdy and has a hole so you can hang it when not in use if you want. Oven-safe to 500 degrees F, you can use this on the stove or in the oven, or start your dish on the stove and finish it off (or keep it warm) in the oven.
Measuring 10 1/2 inches by 10 1/2 inches, this square griddle pan is fantastic for everything from steaks to fish or vegetables, and it is delightfully sturdy. Reviewers give this griddle pan a high rating and say that steak comes out amazing when you use this. The ridges are quite high so the fat will drain away, resulting in healthier food. This will last a lifetime and is resistant to any heat you can throw at it in the kitchen. It distributes heat perfectly evenly and is something you will want to use often. Clean it right after use and wipe it dry, and it will never rust. For less than $20 you are getting a great deal if you choose this grill pan.
How to Griddle Steak: Which Seasonings to Add
When I first found out how to how to griddle steak, I usually just added some salt and black pepper and cooked it like that, then served some kind of sauce on the side. These days I often still do that or else I might add a rub or marinade.
If I am using an inferior cut I might marinate it, but with a strip steak (sirloin steak, whatever you call it where you are) that is unnecessary. Just enjoy the natural steak flavor.
Some people do not like to add pepper to the steak before cooking because they think it gives the meat a bitter flavor. Personally I like to add salt and pepper before cooking, but it is up to you.
Add the salt at least half an hour before cooking by the way, because it draws out the moisture and then it soaks back in. This results in a juicy piece of meat. If you add the salt shortly before cooking, the moisture will be drawn out just before the steak goes into the griddle pan, and that will make it less juicy, which is the opposite of what you want!
If you want to discover more griddle recipes, take a look at this recipe for griddle salmon, it is really tasty and probably one of the very best ways to cook fish! Alternatively our griddled chicken breast makes a healthy, flavorful dinner.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- British Bangers and Mash RecipeWhat is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top. I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch. What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe? .....
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with SauceI love making stuffed squid and I enjoy trying out new recipes, but this is the one I usually made because my husband is crazy about it. Use big squid tubes to make this recipe and only fill them two-thirds full so the filling does not expand and come out. This is, in my opinion, the best stuffed squid recipe with sauce. I love the texture, the flavor… everything! You will need to clean the squid first, unless you are using the cleaned type. I usually get ready-cleaned ones, and I can get a package of 5 frozen ones from the Chinese store. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and they are great. When cooking the squid, cook them .....
- Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2014Now that 2014 is well over half a year behind us, all the best sci-fi movies of 2014 are available on DVD, so rather than going to the cinema, why not curl up with some popcorn and a DVD this evening? I love this genre and managed to see plenty of movies last year. My husband doesn’t mind the genre but it’s me who is the real fan, so I’m going to share with you my top sci-fi movie recommendations!.....
- Cream Cheese Wonton Ideas and Chinese Dumplings and Soft WontonsThe most important part of your cabbage soup is, of course, the cabbage. You can get cabbage year-round and this vegetable weighs between one and seven pounds. Choose a cabbage with a big, compact head, and tender green leaves which do not show insect damage or holes. Fresh cabbage has plenty of outer leaves and greengrocers peel these off as the cabbage ages. Consider cream cheese wonton ideas. Cream cheese goes with cabbage really well (and seafood too!) Check the bottom of the cabbage before buying it, to check the leaves are not coming off the stem. If they are, that means the cabbage is old. Savoy cabbages are lighter for their size .....
- Easy Baked Chicken Breasts with TomatoesThis easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes dish is a wonderful recipe for busy weeknights. All you need to do is add the chicken with the other ingredients to an ovenproof dish and then bake it until the chicken is cooked through. Yes it really is that easy to make this wonderful easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes meal! Recipes like this appeal to the whole family from the smallest to the most senior, and you can either make the recipe as it is written, or take a look in your refrigerator and see which vegetables you have which can be used up. Serve the finished baked chicken with asparagus and mashed potatoes, with broccoli and .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....