Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato Salad
This Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe.
The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate.
You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad.
If you like, swap the chickpeas (garbanzo beans) for red lentils, for another take on the recipe. Some kind of pulse goes well here, so just use your favorite. You can also add other veggies if you want, such as mushrooms or bell pepper. Just make this recipe your own and you will love the incredible flavor it offers.
What to Serve with an Indian Ground Beef Recipe
To be honest, this is nice just as it is because you have the meat, the veggies, the spices and everything else you need to make this a balanced dish. However, it is really good with a spoonful of sour cream or raita (yogurt, cucumber and mint) on the side, just to enhance the dish as a whole.
Something I sometimes do with my Indian ground beef is drizzle min naan bread with olive oil then add some salt and dried parsley, and broil for 10 minutes (don’t let them burn). This turns pita bread into naan bread, and it’s great if you forgot to buy naan but have pita!
- 10½ oz (300g) ground beef
- 1 sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 oz (85g) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1½ pints (700ml) hot beef stock
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- Handful cilantro (fresh coriander) leaves
- 4 mini naan breads
- Cook the onion and beef in a nonstick skillet over a high heat for 2 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the chickpeas and curry powder, then pour in the stock.
- Simmer vigorously for 10 minutes.
- Dice the tomatoes and chop the cilantro, and combine in a bowl.
- Put the naan breads in a toaster until warm.
- Spoon the beef mixture over the naans then top with tomato and cilantro salad.