Lancashire Hotpot with Beef
This Lancashire hotpot with beef is a wonderfully warming dinner, and it is so easy to make. Beef (or lamb) and potatoes come together with a red wine based sauce to make this hearty dish. Served with peas or another green vegetable, this makes the perfect cold weather dinner for the whole family to enjoy. Lancashire hotpot with beef leftovers warm up nicely for lunch the next day.
As well as the beef and potatoes, we are using carrots (if you like) along with onion, beef stock, red wine, and some thyme to add a nice earthy, herby flavor. This is a good recipe for the cooler months when you crave something that is really going to ‘stick to your ribs’ and warm you up nicely.
History of Lancashire Hotpot with Beef Recipe
The original recipe would have used dripping or lard instead of the vegetable oil, so use that if you prefer. The recipe dates back to the days of heavy industrialization in Lancashire, England. Although lamb or mutton would have been the meat of choice back then, beef also works fine if you prefer to use it.
Turnip and leeks often feature as well as the meat, potatoes and carrots. Sometimes bacon is even used as the meat (or you can add some ham or bacon in addition) and some people like to make a pastry topping before baking the Lancashire hotpot with beef. Any of these variations are fine.
- 2lb 2oz (1 kg) trimmed braising steak, in 2-inch (5cm) cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 oz (75g) butter
- 5 oz (150g) peeled baby onions
- 4 peeled, chopped carrots (or use extra potato)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or plain flour)
- 14 fl oz (400 ml) beef stock
- 7 fl oz (200 ml) red wine
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2lb 2oz (1 kg) potatoes, in ¼-inch (½cm) slices
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
- Grind some salt and black pepper over the beef.
- Heat an ovenproof casserole dish on the stove then add the oil and ⅓ of the butter.
- Sauté the beef until golden brown, then set it aside.
- You might have to do this in batches.
- Now you can add another ⅓ of the butter and the onions.
- Sauté for 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Now add the carrots (if using) and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and slowly pour in the red wine, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the beef back in, as well as the stock.
- Grind in some more salt and black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the thyme.
- Arrange the potato slices on top and dot the remaining ⅓ of the butter on top.
- Cover and cook for an hour.
- Take the lid off, turn the oven up to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and cook for 30 minutes.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Roasted Duck LegsDuck legs are much simpler to cook than duck breast, although that is not difficult either. Moreover they are nearly impossible to overcook because of the fat content keeping them succulent. All you need for the following easy roasted duck legs recipe are duck legs, thyme, salt and pepper, although you can also cook potatoes in the oven with the duck if you wish. Adding Potatoes to Your Easy Roasted Duck Legs If you do want to cook potatoes with the duck, simply peel and chop or slice potatoes and arrange them around the duck in the oven, then they can cook together. The reason I usually roast the potatoes is because the fat coming out of .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....
- Squid Cooking TipsCooking squid is not difficult and it is important to be aware of that. Too many cooks quit before they even begin, not knowing how straightforward this type of seafood is to prepare. Read the following squid cooking tips and find out how to prepare and cook this wonderful ‘fruit of the sea’. Step by Step Guide If you are faced with a whole squid the first thing you need to do is pull the tentacles away from the body. Reach up inside the body for the quill, which is going to feel like a shard of plastic. Pull this down, out of the squid, and throw it away. Rinse inside the ‘hood’ (squid body) with cold running water. .....
- Easy Blender Milkshake RecipeMaking a milkshake in the blender is incredibly easy and you just need to add milk, ice and some fruit, press the button and within a few seconds you will have a tasty, creamy and frothy drink to enjoy. An easy blender milkshake recipe is worth adding to your repertoire and you will love the flavor. One of the most unusual recipes is our almond and rosewater milkshake and you can scroll down for that recipe. Our red apple milkshake is also wonderful. Once you have mastered these you can start making up your own milkshakes, throwing in anything you want. What to Add to an Easy Blender Milkshake Recipe Use canned fruit (drain it if it is a .....
- Spicy Potato CakesSpicy potato cakes go beautifully with any poultry, meat or fish dish, as an alternative to hash brown, boiled or mashed potatoes, or even rice, pasta or other starchy sides. Something else you can do with these spicy potato cakes is serve them for breakfast, perhaps with fried eggs, mushrooms and a sausage or some bacon strips. They are also nice served as a snack with sour cream on top. The spicy potato cakes recipe is Indian influenced, and a lot of Indian dishes feature spices. Adding spices to something doesn’t mean the taste has to be fiery hot. Instead you can add a fragrant, aromatic touch by carefully selecting which spices .....
- Metallic Nail PolishThis product comes in a variety of gorgeous shades and the metallicness offers something special if you want a fashion forward look. Metallic nail polish isn’t for everyone but if you can carry it off it certainly looks stunning. Choose silver or gold for a special occasion, magnetic if you want to make crazy patterns, or something more neutral like bronze or shiny blue or gray for a funky, edge look. Metallic Nail Polish: The Option of Stickers If you do not want to paint anything on, you can get stickers which are nail-shaped stickers that adhere to your nails and look like you’ve had a proper manicure. This is a great way of .....
- Smoked Salmon Pizza with CapersIf you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust. The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and .....
- Layered Mason Jar Salad IdeasMason jars have many uses, such as canning, storing grains, shaking cocktails, and more, but one of the best ways to use them, and something very popular right now, is making mason jar salad recipes. There are plenty of layered mason jar salad ideas to consider. You have the dressing at the bottom and then vegetables, then other ingredients and finally your lettuce or salad greens. Keep the jar upright and you will keep the greens away from the dressing until you tip the whole delicious lot on to a plate at lunchtime. This type of salad lasts for days in the refrigerator (depending on what you put in there) so you can make all your weekday .....
- How to Make Wontons Like a ProThe first thing you need to do when making wontons is familiarize yourself with how these bite-sized treats are made, and find out what you need to make wontons. Knowing how to make wontons doesn’t require a whole lot of training. Practice makes perfect and really, it’s easy! You also need to decide what type of wonton recipe you wish to prepare. Do you want to make a classic wonton soup recipe or would you like to start off with baked wontons or fried ones? You can even steam them if you have a bamboo steamer and you want a softer texture. Once you have found a good recipe for your wonton filling, you can assemble your wontons .....
- All About Easy Wonton RecipesI love discovering new recipes. I also love sharing them, hence the creation of Easy Wonton Recipe, the site where my wonton-related content was before I shifted it over here! Cooking is fun and I especially love cooking for others and seeing their eyes light up as they enjoy my culinary creations. There are plenty of easy wonton recipes for every palate and I often like to try new ones out. A lot of people don’t realize that it is possible to make the most amazing flavored dishes using basic ingredients and good, wholesome, fresh produce. You don’t need to combine thirty ingredients to make a tasty meal and, as long as .....