Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Baked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe.
We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian chimichangas recipe with their favorite fresh, canned and/or thawed vegetables, and that certainly makes a change of pace from the beef or pork varieties.
What really makes chimichangas stand apart is the lovely crispy exterior. It is believed a chef dropped a filled taco into hot oil by accident and uttered the cuss ‘chimichanga!’ (which isn’t really a swearword) but then when she tasted the crunchy tortilla snack, the word stuck, and thus chimichangas were born. Swap the deep frying for the oven though, and try this baked chicken chimichangas alternative.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Chimichangas
This is a very easy recipe to make and you can serve them with your favorite Mexican side dishes, perhaps Mexican fried rice, cornbread, cheese stuffed chilies, homemade guacamole and/or pico de gallo, or a 7-layer salad.
This baked chicken chimichangas recipe is really simple to follow, so if you want to prepare oven baked chimichangas for your family tonight, gather the ingredients and get ready to make a really tasty Mexican meal boasting all the wonderful flavors you would hope for.
You might be surprised to see we only use chicken, cream cheese and taco seasoning for our filling, but this is honestly all you need for the most delicious chimichangas.
Baking them in the oven will crisp up the outside and heat up the inside, so you end up with absolutely perfect chimichangas without the need to deep-fry.
Serve these to your family and they will assume you have had the deep fryer on to fry them up a treat in the form of these crunchy little bites, but actually you don’t have to tell them they were cooked in the oven, although everyone would be mighty surprised biting into these crispy, crunchy chimichangas and realizing they were baked in the oven and not deep fried.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas: A Healthier Option
Since you are saving on fat and calories making a baked chicken chimichangas recipe, you could even make an extra one per person! Nobody is going to complain about that.
When I make these baked chicken chimichangas I like to serve Mexican rice (Spanish rice, it is also known as) on the side as well as something cool and crunchy such as a cucumber salad. Another nice (and very simple) salad idea is combining fresh tomato wedges with fine slivers of fresh garlic. Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator while you bake the chimichangas, then serve it on the side for a great contrast.
- 1½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 lb (450g) shredded cooked chicken
- 8 oz (225g) cream cheese
- 8 oz (225g) shredded Monterey Jack pepper cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- Cooking spray, as needed
- Green onion, sour cream, shredded cheddar, avocado slices, and/or salsa, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C.
- Stir the Pepper Jack cheese with the cream cheese and taco seasoning.
- Stir in the chicken then divide this mixture between the tortillas.
- Tuck in the sides and roll up each tortilla.
- Lay them seam side-down in a sprayed 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Spray the tops with cooking spray then bake for 15 minutes.
- Flip them over.
- Spritz with cooking spray, and bake for 15 minutes more or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, cheddar cheese, avocado, and/or green onions if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- The Atlantic Rally for CruisersThe Atlantic Rally for Cruisers is incredible and attracts thousands of spectators every year as it leaves Las Palmas in Gran Canaria for Rodney Bay, Santa Lucia. Every year since 1986, this amazing transatlantic rally has set sail and crossed the 2700 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean. The event begins in November and attracts over 200 yachts from all over the world. The ARC, as the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been named, is considered to be the most successful sailing event in the world and attracts amateurs as well as professionals from over 20 different countries. For many keen sailors this opportunity is a once in a lifetime dream. .....
- Starter Recipes Around the GlobeInternational dishes have taken off recently in a big way. It is not unusual at all these days to see international starter recipes on a restaurant menu or to be given them at a dinner party. This obviously applies to main courses and desserts as well as starter recipes. Chicken sate, prawn toast, Asian soup recipes, Greek dips, Spanish tapas and more are popular as well as common these days and many people even prefer international starter recipes over traditional British ones. There are more ingredients available in modern supermarkets than ever before and you can use these ingredients to make exotic recipes and fusion-style snacks. .....
- Renovate Your Bathroom Like a ProBathrooms are an area that can be entirely different to every other style that you have applied throughout your home. Learn how to renovate your bathroom like a pro and you can come up with something unique and perfect for the small (or not so small) space you have in there. There is a huge amount of different decorating ideas, which will suit your taste, style and budget. Regardless of how much money you have to spend on the decorating, you will find that there are some fantastic ideas. Take your time when deciding what kind of style you want to go for and figuring out how to renovate your bathroom, because just because somethings looks .....
- A Great Dipping Sauce for WontonsMany people are eager to start making the best and most easy wonton recipes but wait – what are you going to serve with the wontons? If you are serving them in soup then that is one thing but if not, you might like to serve a wonton dipping sauce on the side, to dip your steamed, baked or fried wontons into. You are going to need a tasty dipping sauce for wontons. A wonton dipping sauce can be something out of a bottle such as soy sauce, oyster sauce or chili sauce, or it can be something you make yourself. Consider the wonton filling when thinking about what type of wonton dipping sauce to prepare. Examples of a Good Dipping Sauce for .....
- Dutch Kale Stamppot with SausageDutch kale stamppot is a dish I make often, first because my husband is Dutch and grew up with it, and second because it’s hot, comforting and delicious! Perhaps you have tried other Dutch recipes such as our slavink recipe, or maybe you are new to this cuisine. Either way, you will find Dutch kale stamppot with sausage very simple to prepare. You will need mashing potatoes (I use low GI Carisma potatoes because my husband is diabetic) along with kale. Those are the main two ingredients in kale stamppot, known in Holland as boerenkool stamppot. In addition, I recommend some smoked sausage, known locally as rookworst. This has a similar .....
- Bathroom Accessories to Jazz Up Your BathroomBathroom accessories can make a huge difference to the look and feel of your bathroom, and can be surprisingly cheap. Once the essential pieces are in place in there, you can begin the enjoyable task of accessorizing. With a small budget and a boundless imagination, you will be amazed how straightforward it is to liven up your bathroom. Choosing the Right Bathroom Accessories for Your Style There is a huge array of different cheap accessories available; however, you need to ensure that you choose the right ones for your style so you are completely happy with them. Bathrooms are an essential room in every home so you need to get the look and .....
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....
- 1940s Kitchen StyleRetro kitchens are becoming more popular at the moment and it is a lot of fun to redecorate in the style of a certain era. 1940s style kitchens are particularly fun to create. Glass knobs, painted kitchen cabinets and vintage linens can be combined with modern appliances, for a functional and nice looking themed kitchen. You will not have to spend much money to get a 40s themed kitchen full of gorgeous 1940s kitchen style. Here are some good ideas to start you off – Lighting For an authentic 1940s style kitchen, try to keep the lighting simple. You can get wall sconces or vintage ceiling lights for an authentic look. You should add in .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- School Backpacks for GirlsSchool backpacks for girls come in a huge array of different styles, colors and designs, which will ensure that you can choose a style that your little girl will love. There are several different elements that you need to consider before purchasing the backpack. These include the durability, price, style and versatility of the backpack. The age of your child will often determine the size of backpack that you need to choose, as older children will need larger bags to carry books and materials. You will be amazed at the amount of equipment which your child will need for school. However, you should not expect your child to lift a backpack that .....