Best Traditional Pad Thai Recipe
I never get tired of this wonderful dish – it really is the best traditional Pad Thai recipe. The rice noodles, shrimp, tamarind, nuts, lime juice and other ingredients work together in perfect harmony and the flavor is simply wonderful.
The full name of pad thai (sometimes spelt pat thai) is kway teow pad thai, which means stir-fried rice noodles in a Thai style, and it is thought to be a southern Chinese dish which was introduced to Thailand in the mid-20th century.
Pad Thai Noodles
It is important to cook the noodles perfectly in order to make the very best traditional Pad Thai recipe. You will need ‘rice sticks’ which are dried flat noodles. Some people soak them while others boil them. I’ve tried both ways and both work fine.
These noodles do tend to clump though so keep them moving while you are soaking them, warming them up in the dish or boiling them. You might also want to consider cutting the cooked ‘clump’ in half so you can stir them easier in the pan when you are combining them with the other ingredients.
Best Traditional Pad Thai Recipe Sauce
Although street vendors in Thailand sometimes rely on a ready-made brown ‘pad thai sauce’ for the sake of speed, it is better to make your own rather than use bottled or packaged sauces or sauce mixes. Pad thai is supposed to have a wonderful fresh flavor and that just doesn’t come from a bottle.
Meat and Seafood for the Best Traditional Pad Thai Recipe
Shrimp and firm tofu are favorites here, although chicken is also great. If you are vegetarian go with the tofu. You could even try beef or pork although those are not such popular choices for homemade pad thai. I like to serve this best traditional Pad Thai recipe with beansprouts, chopped toasted peanuts and cilantro on top, and don’t forget the lime wedges!
- 4 oz (115g) dried rice stick noodles
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup fish sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) tamarind juice concentrate (not tamarind paste!)
- ½ cup (100g) palm sugar
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- Generous handful thinly sliced raw chicken, beef, pork, shrimp and/or tofu
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- 1 egg
- Generous handful julienne (matchstick-cut) carrot
- 3 green onions (spring onions) cut diagonally in ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) pieces
- Generous handful fresh beansprouts
- Generous handful cilantro (fresh coriander)
- Generous handful chopped toasted peanuts
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Soak the noodles in cold water or or boil until a little firmer than al dente.
- Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Stir the fish sauce, tamarind, palm sugar and half the garlic in a pan over a low-medium heat.
- Cook it until the sugar has dissolved.
- Heat half the oil in a wok and cook your meat/seafood/tofu until done.
- Set to one side.
- Add the rest of the oil to the wok and add the rest of the garlic plus the red onion.
- Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the noodles and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add a few tablespoons of the sauce and keep stirring until everything is well mixed.
- Now add the cooked meat, seafood and/or tofu and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Push the pad thai up one side of the wok and crack an egg into the other side, then scramble it for 30 seconds.
- Add the green onions, carrot and half the beansprouts and cook for 1 minute, mixing everything together in the wok.
- Now taste the pad thai.
- If the noodles are not soft yet, cook for another minute.
- You can add more sauce if it lacks flavor or some Thai chili powder if it lacks heat.
- Serve garnished with the rest of the beansprouts, some cilantro, peanuts and lime wedges.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chicken Wonton Soup with CabbageThis flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Chicken wonton soup recipes .....
- Easy Diabetic Chili RecipeI love chili con carne and find myself making it often, either as a tasty treat for myself or as a shared meal for my husband and I. I usually make a big batch of it so I can enjoy it for lunch the next day, and the next! My husband is diabetic, so I needed to find a tasty low carb diabetic chili recipe which would taste good and look appetizing, and that is when I came up with this one. The ingredients are nutritious and the flavor in this diabetic chili recipe is wonderful. You can tweak this diabetic chili recipe to your heart’s content, swapping the ground beef for chicken or pork, adding more spice (or less!) or swapping the .....
- Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic and HerbsLamb shanks are always good although they tend to be more expensive nowadays than before. Go back a few years and the price was much lower, the reason being well-known chefs are beginning to serve lamb shank recipes in their restaurants, pushing up the price. This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is reminiscent of classic lamb shank dishes. Never mind about the price being more than it was. Lamb shanks are not prohibitively expensive, they make a great dish, they are easy to cook and the meat, when cooked properly, is falling-apart tender and oh so flavorful. I like to cook easy lamb shanks with garlic often and I tend to cook them in the .....
- Metallic Nail PolishThis product comes in a variety of gorgeous shades and the metallicness offers something special if you want a fashion forward look. Metallic nail polish isn’t for everyone but if you can carry it off it certainly looks stunning. Choose silver or gold for a special occasion, magnetic if you want to make crazy patterns, or something more neutral like bronze or shiny blue or gray for a funky, edge look. Metallic Nail Polish: The Option of Stickers If you do not want to paint anything on, you can get stickers which are nail-shaped stickers that adhere to your nails and look like you’ve had a proper manicure. This is a great way of .....
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- A Closer Look at Easy Wonton RecipesEasy wonton recipe ideas are vital for every keen cook who wants to learn more about Chinese cooking. Making your own wontons is a great idea if you want to make something simple yet tasty, using easy-to-find ingredients and common cooking methods. A lot of wonton recipes freeze well too, so you might wish to make a batch of wontons and freeze them for a future wonton soup recipe or fried wonton recipe. If you are feeding a crowd, you might like to offer them a platter of steaming hot crispy wontons, as well as a bowl of chili dipping sauce, or you could make dessert wontons to thrill your kids. There are easy wonton recipes for everybody. .....
- Which Dishes to MakeDeciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail? If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- Unusual Japanese ToiletsJapanese toilets have become a popular addition to many bathrooms all over the world, as people are realizing these top-quality additions are perfect in every way. Unusual Japanese toilets are something worth finding out more about. They’re just intriguing! The toilets which you can find in Japan are typically more advanced than toilets which are manufactured anywhere else in the world. There are two main designs of the toilet commonly found in Japan – the squat toilet and the bidet toilet. The older style squat toilet is often seen in public toilets but this is not a style that appeals to average households who are more included .....
- Smoked Salmon Pizza with CapersIf you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust. The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and .....