Chicken Biryani with Drumsticks
This tasty Indian dish, chicken biryani with drumsticks, offers an incredible flavor and it is not difficult to prepare. I had my first authentic Indian biryani when I was backpacking around India and the flavor really blew me away.
This recipe originated in the Indian subcontinent or Persia, and it is enjoyed all over Central and South Asia, as well as in the Middle East. Rice, spices and meat and/or vegetables are the main ingredients.
Biryani may be compared to pulao rice but biryani is usually cooked with layered meat and rice and pulao is not layered at all. Chicken biryani with drumsticks is usually a main dish while pulao tends to be more of a side dish.
How Biryani Gets its Flavor
Popular ingredients in an Indian biryani recipe include clarified butter (known as ghee), coriander, cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, ginger, garlic, onions, and nutmeg, but every recipe is different. Saffon can be added to the dish, and some will use turmeric or yellow food coloring to color the rice.
You can serve this chicken biryani with drumsticks with raita, chutney, brinjal (a sour eggplant dish), salad and/or a boiled egg. Some people like to add green peas or finely diced carrot or another vegetable to their biryani while others will serve vegetables or a salad on the side instead.
- 2 chopped yellow onions
- Oil, as needed
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 chopped green chilies
- ¼ bunch cilantro (fresh coriander) leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) plain yogurt
- 3 chopped fresh tomatoes
- 10¾ oz (300g) white basmati rice
- A pinch of saffron
- First heat a splash of oil then sauté the onion in there until golden.
- Take out half the onion and reserve to one side.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste to the onion still in the pan and cook for a minute.
- Next add the chicken, red pepper, cumin, salt, turmeric, coriander, chilies, cilantro, yogurt and tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook over a very low flame.
- Meanwhile you can boil the rice, following the instructions on the package.
- Drain it well.
- Spread some of the rice over the chicken mixture in the pan.
- Add the onion on top.
- Spread the remaining rice on top and sprinkle over the saffron.
- Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with raita (a yogurt, mint and cucumber dressing) and perhaps some Indian bread.
More Indian Recipes to Whet Your Appetite
Some More Hot Content For You
- Sticky Spare Ribs with Chinese Leaves and Noodles RecipeThis tasty oriental recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Serve these sticky spare ribs with Chinese leaves and noodles and everyone is sure to enjoy the exotic Eastern flavor. Don’t worry if you haven’t cooked ribs before – they just need to roast. These ribs are sticky so if you make this starter recipe, you might want to give out finger bowls or wet flannels. In fact, you really should. How to Cook Spare Ribs Spare ribs should be crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside. There is nothing worse than overcooked meat and ‘well done’ simply does not apply to spare ribs. When they are cooked .....
- Lebanese Lamb MeatballsI love this Lebanese lamb meatballs recipe. I’ve only made the meatballs once so far but it’s something I’m definitely going to make again! These Lebanese lamb meatballs boast plenty of herbs in the form of parsley and mint. You might be surprised at the amount of herbs in these meatballs but, believe me, the combination works really well. Ground lamb is something I don’t use that often, just because the only place I can get it where I live is the Cash and Carry and that’s not somewhere I go much, but when I do use it I like to make something special, perhaps some comfort food like shepherd’s pie, or else .....
- Healthy Desserts with BananaAlthough fried banana wontons are not the most diet-friendly dessert, they are great for an occasional treat. If you want something a bit healthier, then you could adapt this recipe or make another one. Healthy desserts with banana as one of the ingredients are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and they’re healthier than a simple carb and sugar confection. Try baking the banana wontons instead of deep-frying them. You will need to spritz a little spray oil on them to get them crispy but baked wontons are also very good. You can serve a sugar-free chocolate sauce or fruit sauce with them. Grilled Banana Recipe Let’s think of some .....
- Types of Chinese TeaWhy not pair your crispy fried crab Rangoon wontons with a refreshing cup of Chinese tea? There are many types of Chinese tea to choose from so you can quench your thirst and enjoy the delicious, fragrant taste. Chinese tea has a long history and the tea-drinking ritual has been around for over 1000 years. The Chinese were the first to discover the flavor of tea leaves, and tea is an integral part of daily life in China. Chinese tea used to be divided into four grades, depending on quality, and the Chinese tea culture was developed a lot during the Ming and Song dynasties, popularizing it in neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan. .....
- Easy Soba SaladI love all kinds of noodles but soba noodles are my favorite. The word ‘soba’ means ‘buckwheat’ in Japanese and it also refers to thin, buckwheat noodles. In Japan the word refers to any thin noodles. These can be served hot or cold, with a dipping sauce or in soup or you could make an easy soba salad. Buckwheat can be harvested 4 times a year because it takes 3 months to reach maturity and be ready for harvesting. Soba noodles are sold at railway stations in Japan, and they also feature on the menus in high-end restaurants, making them a versatile component in a variety of dishes, not just easy soba salad recipes. .....
- Healthy Easy Spiralizer Recipes and IdeasA spiralizer isn’t the most commonly talked about kitchen gadget, but it’s definitely one that has been gaining popularity recently. If you haven’t heard of this interesting invention before a spiralizer is basically a neat, time saving tool that turns vegetables into thin, noodle like strips to use in a bunch of different dishes. There are plenty of easy spiralizer recipes to have a go at too. If you have ever tried to thinly slice a zucchini using a julienne peeler, or worse – a knife – and given up halfway through because it was taking too long then the spiralizer will be your new culinary sidekick. The way a spiralizer works .....
- How to Cook Quinoa on the StoveQuinoa is quickly becoming a popular food in America and throughout the world. The fast spread of this low-fat superfood grain has led to people wondering how to cook it at home. Chances are you’ve probably eaten it at a restaurant or at a friend’s house. Now you’re wanting to know how to cook this amazingly tasty food for you and your family and you want to know how to cook quinoa on the stove. The good news is that quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is really easy to cook at home. It’s certainly no more difficult to cook than rice or buckwheat, which is good news for all of you that want a taste of this superfood without having to pay the high .....
- Best Collection of Cheeseball RecipesFind out how to make a delicious cheeseball by combining ingredients like cheese, garlic, cream cheese, nuts, bacon and other ingredients. Cheeseball recipes have been around for decades but they never lose their appeal! So what do you serve with cheeseball recipes? Well they are great for dipping crackers, chips or bread slices and the softer ones are even good with softer ingredients. Take your pick but crackers are my preference. Do You Serve Cheese Balls Chilled or Not? Well you can leave your cheese ball at room temperature to soften it or keep it chilled until serving for extra firmness. But don’t serve it too cold or you .....
- Mini Onion Quiches RecipeTry this mini onion quiches recipe if you want a fresh and delicious flavor in every bite. The tasty little treats make a wonderful vegetarian starter recipe. The cheese and onion mixture is a melt in the mouth filling and the pastry comes out crisp and tasty. These individual onion quiches look great and taste even better. If you like quiche asparagus might be a flavor you’d like to try. Cheese and ham quiche is another classic dish. Feel free to adjust the ingredients in this quiche recipe if you want, to make your preferred quiche flavor. The sky is the limit when working on your own dishes, rather than having to settle for the .....
- How to Make Vegetable OmeletThis recipe is your best friend if you want to make a perfect vegetable omelet, and this is a skill everyone should know. Learning how to make vegetable omelet is very easy and you can serve this for any meal. Omelets can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and this recipe makes enough for 2 servings. You will love the perfect flavor and texture this offers. How to Make Vegetable Omelet: Some Handy Tips If you want to cut the fat and calories, swap the butter for margarine and use skim milk. You can also use reduced-fat cheese in it. As for the vegetables, pretty much anything works. Tomatoes, mushrooms, green onion, fresh herbs and .....