Chicken Curry Indian Style Recipe
This chicken curry Indian style recipe is just what you need if you want to cheer yourself up on a chilly evening. The chicken and vegetables combine beautifully with the curry spices and the overall effect is fantastic. Serve this with white fluffy rice, naan bread or whatever your heart desires.
In a restaurant you may request your curry mild, medium or spicy, and hope the chef’s version of ‘mild’ for example, is the same as yours! We have all been there, asking for a mild dish, and it arrives and blows your head off. Well, in this chicken curry Indian style recipe, it is up to you to add the spices, so you can choose how spicy (or otherwise) you would like it to be.
Perhaps you are not used to eating curries. If you aren’t sure what to expect, then just imagine chicken served in a warm, nice tasting sauce. Make it mild (don’t add too much curry powder) and taste it as you go, so if you feel it needs more flavor towards the end you can add some more.
Why Indian Recipes are So Beloved
Indian food is one of the most popular cuisines, and although other cuisines do feature spices, nothing tastes quite like true Indian food. And no, Indian food is not just about ‘curries’ and the like. There are plenty of wonderful dishes to choose from, ranging from mild and simple to spicy and complex. This chicken curry Indian style recipe can be made as spicy or mild as you wish.
Whether you are cooking in the manner of many Indians, making a vegetarian dish (a lot of Indians are non-carnivores) or using fish, seafood, poultry and meat in your dish, the typical Indian flavorings will set off the flavor of the whole meal and you will find such recipes to be superbly well balanced and full of amazing flavor.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves in bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¾ cup (185ml) coconut milk
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cilantro (fresh coriander) to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a medium heat.
- Saute the onion until it is lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic, curry powder, paprika, bay leaf, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and salt. Keep stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken, tomato paste, coconut milk and yogurt.
- Bring the curry to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and stir in the lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer the curry for 5 minutes more before serving, garnished with cilantro, over rice.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Corned Beef Hash with a TwistThis corned beef hash recipe is fantastic and it is versatile enough to be breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just a comfort food snack if you are in the mood for it. The twist is the cream in the recipe and even though that might sound like an odd ingredient for corned beef hash it totally transforms it from good to great, so give this recipe a try and this might be how you make your corned beef hash from now on. As well as the potatoes and corned beef you will need butter and cream to add a luxurious mouth feel, onion and bell pepper to add nutrients, color and crunch, and some eggs if you wish to garnish your corned beef hash with fried eggs .....
- 30 of the Best Easy Chili RecipesLook at this tempting selection of recipes and consider making chili for dinner tonight. After reading some of these easy chili recipes perhaps you won’t be able to resist! Nothing beats yummy chili, after all. Chili con carne is so simple to make and it is really flavorful. Here we have not only 30 recipes for chili but also plenty of hints and tips to ensure yours comes out really well, and also some videos and other suggestions to ensure your best chili recipes are always a huge success, and something you will eagerly anticipate making again and again. Chili con carne has a rich history with much speculation regarding where the dish .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Jamie Oliver Superfood Salad CopycatMy husband and I had lunch at the Jamie Oliver restaurant in Cardiff last year and it was really good! I had the avocado superfood salad with smoked salmon and it really made an impression. I loved all those flavors and it looked gorgeous too. I wanted to recreate it so I came up with this Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat recipe. It’s not identical but pretty close! What’s in It? The Jamie Oliver superfood salad copycat salad is made with avocado, beets, grains, kale, toasted seeds, and a tasty harissa and lemon dressing. On top of that you have avocado, pomegranate and poppy seeds. The following recipe is a copycat attempt, .....
- Perfect Peach SmoothiePeach smoothie is perfect for any age or occasion, and you can adapt the following recipe as much as you want. Serve it in martini glasses, tall glasses or another kind, and garnish each one with a peach slice if you want, or a strawberry perhaps. This lovely recipe is quick and easy to make. Simply throw everything into a blender and press the button. If you find yourself with a batch of fresh peaches to use up, consider making this recipe. You don’t have to use fresh peaches. Frozen ones will work too, either thawed or still frozen, and if you’re using still-frozen ones you can leave out the ice cubes. Fruity and Fantastic .....
- Authentic California CuisineCalifornia is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine. Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California. California Food Pioneers Alice Waters has contributed to authentic .....
- Curried Beef Stuffed PeppersI’ve always been a fan of stuffed peppers, especially when beef, rice and cheese come together with seasonings to offer a rich and satisfying filling. But this time I wanted to make something without the rice and cheese, and I was curious how to flavor the beef sufficiently so that could be the main ingredient. That is how the idea for these curried beef stuffed peppers was born. The following curried beef stuffed peppers recipe is made with spices and seasonings to add a light curry flavor to the beef filling, along with walnuts, raisins and other ingredients to add flavor accents. The overall effect is amazing and I am keen to make .....
- How to Make Wontons Like a ProThe first thing you need to do when making wontons is familiarize yourself with how these bite-sized treats are made, and find out what you need to make wontons. Knowing how to make wontons doesn’t require a whole lot of training. Practice makes perfect and really, it’s easy! You also need to decide what type of wonton recipe you wish to prepare. Do you want to make a classic wonton soup recipe or would you like to start off with baked wontons or fried ones? You can even steam them if you have a bamboo steamer and you want a softer texture. Once you have found a good recipe for your wonton filling, you can assemble your wontons .....
- Traditional Spanish Squid SoupThis is not a stuffed squid recipe like many of our other soup recipes with squid but it is too good not to include on here. Oh yes, Spanish squid soup is one of the best soups I know, and it’s worth learning the recipe. The recipe features squid of course, and also potatoes, onion and tomato. Aromatic flavor comes from the chilies, thyme, garlic and balsamic vinegar. The green beans are optional but they look attractively colorful so if you want to use them then just throw them in after topping and tailing them. The Spanish squid soup recipe is very simple to prepare. Once all the ingredients are in there you need to let it simmer for .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....