Simple Chicken Enchilada Recipe
I love Mexican and Tex-Mex food and enchiladas are right up there with my absolute favorites, so when I first made this simple chicken enchilada recipe, I was hoping for a good result, and I got it! The resulting enchiladas were really good, and the flavors were amazing. I hope you like them as much as we all did.
Enchiladas are made by rolling corn tortillas around your chosen filling and then adding a spicy sauce and usually cheese on top. You can fiddle about with this recipe as much as you want because it would be hard to mess it up. Just add your favorite ingredients to the filling and top with your favorite toppings, using as many or as few ingredients as you want, and altering the spice factor depending whether you prefer a mild, medium or hot finish.
Originating in Mexico, this dish dates back to Mayan times when corn tortillas would be rolled around fish but modern ones might feature meat, cheese, beans, vegetables, seafood, potatoes, or a mixture of any of these. This simple chicken enchilada recipe is one of my favorites.
As far as traditional Mexican street food, enchiladas were just corn tortillas dipped in chili sauce, but today’s are different.
This is a recipe worth bookmarking or printing because the resulting dish is just so good. Kids love enchiladas as much as the grownups although smaller kids probably won’t want as much chili powder or hot sauce in theirs as some of the more adventurous adults might.
Chicken Enchiladas Before Baking: Chicken Enchilada After Baking:
Typical Enchilada Varieties
Red chili enchiladas are covered in a red enchilada sauce, and this is the most popular variation. Enchiladas verdes feature a green tomatillo-based sauce. Another kind is enchiladas con mole which are covered in mole sauce, a tasty Mexican sauce which is brown, rich and usually contains quite a few ingredients. I like that as well as this simple chicken enchilada recipe.
Enchiladas suizas have a creamy sauce on top, bechamel or similar, and these were developed by Swiss immigrants in Mexico. Enchiladas placera contain chicken and vegetables, while enchiladas poblanas are filled with chicken and poblano chilies and they are topped with Oaxaca cheese. Enfrijoladas have refried beans on top instead of chili sauce. I’ve tried a lot of these varieties but still fall back on this simple chicken enchilada recipe often because it’s easy to make and so tasty.
In South and Central Texas you will find gravy-style enchiladas which have a gravy-like chili sauce on top as well as a layer of cheese. These might be beef or cheese filled tortillas. Enchiladas duranguenos feature red chili sauce and they are filled with minced onions and queso cotija or parmesan (which is cheaper).
Enchiladas montados are popular in New Mexico. These are made with fried corn tortillas which are stacked and covered with chili sauce (either red or green), shredded cheese and topped onion, and these ingredients go between each layer of the stack. They might contain chicken or beef, or neither, and this dish is often topped with a fried egg, black olives and maybe shredded lettuce too.
Enchilada Toppings and Garnishes
As well as being able to choose your filling, you can choose the toppings when making homemade tortillas. Consider sour cream, cheese, chilies, salsa, cilantro, chopped onions, or black olive slices. These would be great with a simple chicken enchilada recipe.
I like to serve mine with refried beans and beans, corn salad and sour cream, as well as avocado slices, but of course you can take your pick depending on what you have and what you like.
The following recipe is one of these easiest ways to make enchiladas and it really doesn’t take too long. As well as your tortillas (and you can swap the traditional corn ones for flour ones if you so wish) you will need cream cheese and salsa for your filling, as well as chicken, chilies, kidney beans and any vegetables you want to use. Some people like to add bell peppers while others like jalapenos or no vegetables whatsoever. Corn is another idea, or even something unusual like mushrooms.
The tortillas are filled with this spicy, creamy mixture, rolled up, covered in cheese and baked until they look like the photo above. Cheese toppings are always good when the cheese not only melts but is allowed to crisp up and get slightly charred in places, or at least that is how I like my simple chicken enchilada recipe!
- ½ chopped chicken breast
- 8 oz (250g) kidney beans, drained
- 8 oz (250g) cream cheese
- 8 oz (250g) tomato salsa
- 8 oz (250g) cooked veggies (corn, bell pepper etc)
- 4 oz (125g) canned chilies (optional)
- 6 (6 inch/15cm inch wide) corn tortillas
- 2 cups (110g) shredded cheese (Mexican blend, mozzarella etc)
- Ground cumin, dried oregano, salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Iceberg lettuce dressed with white wine vinegar and salt
- Sour cream
- Refried beans
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish lightly with oil or butter.
- Put the cream cheese and salsa in a small pan and cook, stirring, until hot.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, vegetables, chilies, beans and seasonings.
- Fill the tortillas with this mixture and roll them up, arranging them in the greased baking dish.
- I like to dot sour cream on each before adding the cheese but that is optional.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes and take the foil off, then finish it off under the broiler to brown the cheese a little.
- If you like, you can add black olive slices and shredded lettuce on top before serving.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe | Quick and EasyThis delicious Thai tom kha gai soup recipe is made with 10 ingredients only plus a few optional extras for serving. We are using chicken and mushrooms to make this, along with typical Thai ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, lime, coriander, coconut, fish sauce and palm sugar to make it. This is a tasty, filling Thai chicken soup recipe and it’s also therapeutic if you’re under the weather or suffering from a cold or the flu. The chicken and vegetables are nourishing while the steam from the soup helps with decongestion. As for the garnish, we like to present this traditional tom kha gai soup recipe with cilantro, chilies, .....
- Vegetable Jeon Recipe – Korean PancakesIf you are looking for something new and delicious, why not try this jeon (pronounced ‘jun’) recipe? Our vegetable jeon recipe is simple to prepare and there are various tweaks you can employ to add your own touch to the flavor. Jeon is a tasty Korean dish which you will love and this recipe combines vegetables with Asian seasonings to make the tastiest little bites. Vegetable Jeon Recipe: So Addictive and Yummy Try this vegetable jeon recipe once and you will be hooked because the crispy texture and amazing flavor make these a lovely appetizer, snack or meal. In Korea the word jeon refers to food coated in egg and flour, and .....
- Singapore Shrimp NoodlesSingapore shrimp noodles are easy to make. Any kind of noodles are lovely for lunch or dinner, and the following recipe shows you how to add a nice typical Singapore flavor to the noodles. You will end up with a complete dish which needs no other accompaniment. You can swap the shrimp for chicken or tofu if you would rather use one of those, or even combine a few different proteins, and substitute any other vegetables you want if you fancy changing things up a bit. Added sliced chili is optional but most Singaporeans would want to add it since they love spicy food. One of the first Singapore meals I ever tried was chili crab, a typical .....
- Review of Every Yankee Candle Tart ScentI love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps. I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts. They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and .....
- Easy Sukiyaki RecipeOne of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties. Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- How to Make Salsa in the Food ProcessorSalsa in a jar is usually an underwhelming experience, which is why making your own is such a good idea. Not only is making salsa very easy, but you are going to end up with something really delicious which you will be proud to serve with your tacos, fajitas, Mexican salad, or even with a bowl of your favorite chips, for dipping. Learn how to make salsa in the food processor and you can whip this up in mere minutes whenever you want it. Low Calorie but High Flavor Because tomatoes are very low in calories and they are the main component of the dish, salsa is a great choice if you want to make a low calorie dip. Knowing how to make salsa in .....
- Creamy Salmon Pate Stuffed EggsHow pretty do these salmon pate stuffed eggs look? This recipe takes deviled eggs to the next level, by combining the egg yolk with salmon, lemon and creamy ingredients to make a pale pink, delicious-tasting appetizer. One or two egg halves per person is a good estimate although some people won’t be able to stop munching on these lovely little snacks. There are different ways to prepare these salmon pate stuffed eggs. You can make them the traditional way by slicing the eggs in half lengthwise or you could remove a wedge from the top (like in the picture) for a different look. How to Add the Salmon Pate Stuffed Eggs Filling The salmon .....
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- Mexican Spiced Hot ChocolateWhen the weather is cold outside and you want to sip on something hot and comforting, what better beverage could there be than Mexican spiced hot chocolate? But we are not talking about just any hot chocolate here. There is regular hot chocolate and then there is a south of the border delight! For the ultimate satisfying drink, make some Mexican spiced hot chocolate and allow the chocolate to caress your soul while the spices offer added warmth and flavor. Nice and Spicy Chipotle chili pepper and cinnamon add a lovely touch to this Mexican spiced hot chocolate, and you will love the finished flavor. Feel free to use your favorite cocoa or .....