Marsala Chicken with Asparagus
Marsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe.
This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish.
As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors we expect from such a dish.
This marsala chicken with asparagus recipe uses spray oil to fry the chicken but you can use olive oil if you prefer. I often use spray oil to keep down the fat content but I love the flavor of olive oil so you might wish to use that instead for the Mediterranean flavor which suits this dish.
How to Serve Marsala Chicken with Asparagus
This is very good served with either mashed potatoes or rice, but if you want to go slightly non-traditional you might wish to serve egg noodles with it or even couscous.
This marsala chicken with asparagus makes a lovely meal for a special occasion because the Marsala wine offers a gourmet touch. You might also like to serve an Italian dessert afterwards, either something rich like tiramisu or something lighter such as strawberry mousse.
- 4 skinned chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 chopped leek
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ oz (50 ml) Marsala wine
- ½ pint (250 ml) chicken stock
- 1 chopped bulb fennel
- 1 trimmed bunch asparagus
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Spray oil
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh parsley and lemon zest for garnish
- Dust the chicken with flour.
- Fry in spray oil until golden all over.
- Remove and set aside.
- Pour in the Marsala wine.
- Bubble until reduced by half.
- Pour in the stock.
- Add leeks, parsley, chicken and fennel.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat 10-15 minutes.
- Add asparagus in final 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and veg.
- In a small bowl mix about ½ the egg with the lemon juice.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the hot cooking liquid slowly, stirring well.
- Slowly add this mixture to the pan, mixing it in.
- Return the chicken and veg to the pan and gently warm through taking care not to scramble it.
- Garnish and serve.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chili with Baked PotatoChili is always good, especially when served on a baked potato with some grated cheese on top, and perhaps also some sour cream or guacamole if you like it. Try chili with baked potato for lunch and see how satisfying this dish is. Chili is versatile enough to be tweaked a lot, so not only can you choose how spicy you want it but you can also choose the ingredients which go in there, such as kidney beans or another kind of bean, garlic, even some grated Mexican chocolate or cocoa powder if you wish. This recipe shows you how to make a simple chili con carne recipe using ingredients guaranteed to come together seamlessly and offer an .....
- What is Crème BrûléeLearning to how many crème brûlée is easy, and this creamy, sweet dessert is very tasty after any kind of main dish. Crème brûlée, sometimes mis-spelt as crème brule, is also known as crema catalana, Trinity cream and burnt cream. But what is creme brulee exactly? The rich custard base is topped with a hard caramel layer, and it is usually served at room temperature although it can also be served chilled if you want to make it ahead. More about Crème Brûlée Vanilla is the typical flavor for crème brûlée but there are other possibilities, including coconut, chocolate or coffee. This dessert dates back to at least the late 1600s. This dessert .....
- Best Baked Chicken Breast with Cream of Chicken SoupThis baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe is quick and easy. It makes a great family dinner and everyone at the table will enjoy it. All you need to make this is chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning. The resulting baked chicken breast with cream of chicken is juicy and delicious, and pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, and pretty much any vegetable. Try asparagus, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, or even colorful mixed veggies. An Incredibly Easy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Anyone can make this baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe because it is really simple, .....
- Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad RecipeIf you fancy making a waldorf salad recipe with a twist, try this delicious version with curried chicken. A traditional waldorf salad contains just red apples, mayonnaise and celery and the walnuts came later. You can use more curry paste in this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe if you want, depending how hot you like it. An Interesting Twist Puritans might argue this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe is not actually a “waldorf salad” exactly, because there are other ingredients in the mix which never appeared in the original dish. But I prefer to say this is a twist on the classic recipe, because it features everything .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Spicy Veal Crackslaw with MushroomsI spotted some ground veal in the grocery store last week and, since I had never tried it before, decided to use it to make veal crackslaw. I am always looking for new ideas. Crackslaw is always good but I can get bored with beef at times. You can use any kind of ground meat to make crackslaw and I like veal escalope, so I thought why not see how ground veal works out? I combined the veal with mushrooms and other veggies, as well as all the Asian seasonings crackslaw is famed for, and the results were impressive. I really liked it! As well as the veal, I used a package of sliced veggies including mushrooms and leeks, to make this veal .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Wonton Soup RecipesThere are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup. The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer. One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this .....
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Rotel TomatoesChicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. I love everything about it – the juicy chicken, the tomato-ey broth, the crisp tortillas on top, the cheese, just… everything! I like to keep my soup recipes simple, so you will see the following is as streamlined as I could make it. Grab the ingredients you need and make this. I promise, whether you want a light lunch or simple supper, you’re going to love it. There are lots of different chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes recipes to try but I happen to like this one just because it is so easy. What You Need to Make It Along with the cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes .....