Red Chicken Chili with Tomatoes
I love this red chicken chili with tomatoes recipe because it is lower in calories than a beef based chili yet it offers all the wonderful flavors you would expect from chili. Make it as mild as you wish or as spicy as you dare, and enjoy the fresh flavors it boasts.
This red chicken chili with tomatoes recipe is so easy to put together. You just need to cook the chicken with the veggies, then add the other ingredients and let the mixture simmer for 45 minutes or so. That is all you need to do to make it.
Kids love chili just as much as the grownups although they aren’t usually so keen on spice, so if you are making this for the whole family you might like to reduce the spices and then people can add extra chilies or chili powder at the table if they so wish.
Red Chicken Chili with Tomatoes: A Healthy Option for Dinner
There are plenty of nutrients in this colorful recipe, lots of vitamins and minerals. So if you are looking for comfort food which is low in calories and offers a fantastic flavor, make this and you will certainly not be disappointed.
Chili made using beef is also healthy but because beef is higher in calories (and fat) than chicken, you might want to use chicken instead and make the recipe this way. Turkey is another option. Here we can buy a mix which is half ground chicken and half ground turkey and that is especially flavorful.
Delicious Side Dishes for Red Chicken Chili with Tomatoes
Serve red chicken chili with tomatoes along with cornbread, rice, pasta or a baked potato, as you prefer. Chili is such a nice meal to make any time of the year. Although it is perhaps particularly great during the fall or winter, you can serve it anytime you want.
Sometimes it is nice to have a spicy dish every now and then, and this is full of wonderful chili flavors even if you opt not to make it very spicy.
Lovely Flavor Accents
The oregano, cumin and chili powder flavor the dish, while the jalapeno adds a fresh spicy accent. Sometimes it is nice to add a square of dark chocolate when making beef chili but that might not go so well with a chicken based dish.
You can see in this photo how the chicken chili will look in the pot. Once all the ingredients are in there just leave it to simmer gently, giving it a stir every once in a while to ensure it cooks evenly. The flavors will blend beautifully during cooking.
Easy Crockpot Chicken Chili
If you want to make red chicken chili with tomatoes in the crockpot then that is also fine. Give it a few hours on low to blend the flavors, and ensure the chicken is cooked through before adding it to the crockpot along with everything else.
The resulting red chicken chili with tomatoes will be just as good but if you are heading out for a few hours and can’t keep an eye on it the crockpot option might be the better one.
I serve my red chicken chili with tomatoes with rice usually but sometimes I like to add some pasta and either guacamole or some fresh avocado slices to reinforce the meal with a distinct Mexican touch.
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound (225g) ground chicken or turkey
- ½ chopped bell pepper
- ½ chopped yellow onion
- 1 chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 14 oz (400g) chopped tomatoes in juice
- 7 oz (200g) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz (115g) corn kernels, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 4 oz (115g) tomato sauce or passata
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Add the ground chicken, bell pepper and onion.
- Cook until the onion is crisp-tender and the chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in all the other ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.
- Stir the chili every now and then.
Some More Hot Content For You
- 7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh RecipesChicken thighs are a wonderful option. Not only are they cheap and easy to find, but they are also very tasty, boating plenty of flavor. You can make all kinds of delicious boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes and you are sure to adore the taste. Unlike chicken breast, which can dry out quickly, the higher fat content in chicken thighs keeps them succulent and moist. They are forgiving even if you overcook them a bit. If you spot some on sale in the grocery store, grab them because there are plenty of wonderful boneless skinless chicken thigh recipes you can rustle up using chicken thighs. You can expect a great flavor from a good chicken .....
- Microwave Beef Stew Belgian StyleThis microwave beef stew Belgian style is one of the best stew recipes I have tried. Living so close to the Belgian border we can simply go over any time we crave this full-flavored stew and satisfy our cravings, but it is just as easy to make yourself at home, so read on and discover how the Belgians make a tasty beef stew. The following recipe shows you how to make this dish in the microwave which is perfect if you do not want to stand over the stove, stirring, or use a crockpot. The end flavor is just the same as the slow-cooked version but it is much faster. Microwave Beef Stew Belgian Style: What Kind of Beef to Use The recipe features .....
- Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef RoastCoffee might sound like a strange ingredient to combine with beef, but it does lend this crockpot coffee braised beef dish a very rich and tasty flavor which complements the meaty beef taste. This recipe can be made in the crockpot and you don’t need many ingredients for it. To make this crockpot coffee braised beef you will need a boneless beef chuck roast weighing about 3 pounds, or slightly over, along with coffee and garlic. Throw in some water, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and those are the only ingredients you need. Just add your crockpot coffee braised beef ingredients to the crockpot then you can use the cooking liquid to make .....
- iPod Scams and How to Avoid ThemMaybe you have seen iPods or mp3 players on eBbay retailing for a few cents and wonder how come they’re so cheap when in the stores they cost many times that price. The phrase ‘iPod scams’ might come to mind right away because, well, who in their right mind would sell a perfectly working iPod for a few cents? Despite this being obvious, people still get sucked into iPod scams. Not all scams are obvious either. The price might be significantly higher, like in the shop or slightly less, but maybe there is something wrong with the iPod or perhaps it’s not genuine or doesn’t have the amount of memory it should. You .....
- Easy Summer Appetizer IdeasOne of the things that brings people together is the enjoyment of food. There are few things better than gathering around a table on a summer evening to snack and relax with friends. And there are easy summer appetizer ideas for all palates and occasions, so you won’t be stuck for choice. What makes appetizers so appealing when compared to full meals? Appetizers are usually bite size, making them easy to eat while socializing, and a table full of different options is far more exciting than committing to just one meal or flavor. Many summer appetizer ideas are not only easy to eat, but also easy to prepare. Cold appetizers are .....
- How to Griddle Steak Like a ProSteak is one of the most popular cuts of meat but unfortunately a lot of people are rather clueless about how to transform a raw steak into something flavorful, tender and perfectly cooked. Perhaps it is your first time cooking steak or maybe you are keen to find out some griddle tips, because this ridged pan is so handy in the kitchen. Either way, read on for my foolproof recipe and learn how to griddle steak like a pro every time you make it. Barbecuing is one of the best ways to cook this cut of meat, because you can’t beat the lovely smoky flavor, but what happens if you can’t barbecue and you don’t want to pan-fry? The .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- All About Easy Wonton RecipesI love discovering new recipes. I also love sharing them, hence the creation of Easy Wonton Recipe, the site where my wonton-related content was before I shifted it over here! Cooking is fun and I especially love cooking for others and seeing their eyes light up as they enjoy my culinary creations. There are plenty of easy wonton recipes for every palate and I often like to try new ones out. A lot of people don’t realize that it is possible to make the most amazing flavored dishes using basic ingredients and good, wholesome, fresh produce. You don’t need to combine thirty ingredients to make a tasty meal and, as long as .....
- Hot Cherry Pit Pillow ReviewI love my hot cherry pit pillow and use it all the time. A couple of weeks ago I slept in a strange position on a flight and ended up with not only a crick in my neck but also really stiff shoulders. I remembered I had given my mother a hot cherry pit pillow for her birthday a year back and thought something warm on my shoulders would feel nice. It’s hard to keep a hot water bottle in that position but a long, thin shaped pillow would be perfect, so I placed an order and it came the following day. I was very excited to open it, heat it up and enjoy the wonderful feeling! Some More Hot Content For You Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers .....
- Electric Cookware for the KitchenTechnology has become a huge part of everyday life, and every area of your home will have some form of electrical item to make life easier. The kitchen is no exception, and there are many different electrical cookware items which will enhance your cooking experience. Perhaps you already have all the electric cookware for the kitchen, or it could be you are considering some new purchases. One thing is for sure, and that means you won’t be short of choice, because there are so many wonderful items to choose from. Alongside the traditional pots and pans, you are likely to see many new high tech cookware items. From electric griddles and .....