Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine
Lamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing.
So Much Appeal in this Dish
Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find. The lamb is browned then cooked with onion, carrots and celery, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and red wine.
Use a casserole dish on the stove and in the oven, or else use a heavy pot on the stove and transfer the mixture into an ovenproof casserole to bake. It just depends what you have to hand.
Braised lamb shanks in red wine is excellent served with mashed potatoes and this recipe makes 4 portions, but you can always double it if you are feeding a crowd. Once you have experienced the amazing flavor of this braised lamb in red wine recipe you will certainly want to make it again.
Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine – Quick and Easy to Prepare
Braised lamb shanks in red wine is a dish which takes about 3 hours to make, including cooking time, so ensure you start it in plenty of time so it is ready at dinner time. Use a bottle of dry red wine to make this, a regular size bottle (25 ounces, or 750 ml).
The flavor of the wine will be in the finished braised lamb shanks in red wine dish, so use something you would drink. You should always use reasonable quality wine when cooking, especially when the wine is going to be very evident in the finished flavor. Something labeled ‘cooking wine’ is going to cheapen the flavor of the finished dish by adding a mediocre taste to it, and that is never something you should allow if you want to make the most delicious meals. If you want to compare another of our lamb shanks recipes – garlic herb lamb shanks – take a look so you can see which you prefer.
- 4 lamb shanks, about 1 lb (450g) each
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 12 peppercorns
- 5 peeled garlic cloves
- 4 celery ribs, in ¼ inch slices
- 4 carrots, in ¼ inch slices
- 1 roughly chopped onion
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy, ovenproof pot or stove-proof dish.
- Use salt and black pepper to season the meat, then brown for about 4 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic, carrots, onion and celery to the pot, then pour in the red wine and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the water and get the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the peppercorns and bay leaves, then cover the pot tightly.
- Braise in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until the lamb shanks are very tender.
- Turn them once, halfway through.
- Put the shanks in a warmed serving dish.
- Strain the braising liquid into a pan, using a wooden spoon to press on the solids.
- Boil this liquid for 20 minutes over a high heat or until it reduces to 1½ cups (350 ml).
- Season with salt and pepper and pour about a third of it over the meat.
- Keep the rest of the sauce warm.
- Cover the meat with foil and warm it up for about 10 minutes in the oven, then serve with the rest of the sauce.
Another Tempting Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe to Try
Some More Hot Content For You
- Sony Smart Watch ReviewThis Sony smart watch review will shed some light on this new, trendy device. So what does this gadget do? This device is worn on the wrist and it links up wirelessly with your Android device. Read all your emails, text messages, Twitter and Facebook updates, and more on the device. You are notified by an icon and you can tap it to read your messages. Just imagine how much easier life will be if you can simply glance at your wrist rather than have to search around in your bag trying to find your phone. Just one glance at your wrist will let you know whether you have any calls, messages or anything else. Once you try using this you .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- Deep-Fried Chicken Dim SumThis tempting deep-fried chicken dim sum recipe serves a crowd, and you can double it too. It is easy to make if you are methodical, mixing the filling together, then distributing it between the wrappers and working in batches. The crunchy hot chicken treats can be served alone or with your favorite sauce. Why We Love Deep-Fried Chicken Dim Sum, Actually ALL Dim Sum! Known as dim sum in Chinese, appetizers in the Western world, or tapas in Spain, small snacks will always have a place in our hearts and on our tables. They can precede a main dish or just be served as a snack. Dim sum, or Chinese appetizers, are versatile, tasty and just so .....
- Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato SaladThis Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe. The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate. You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad......
- Mending a Broken HeartWe have all felt heartbroken at times and sometimes nothing seems to be able to shake off that horrible, empty feeling. Knowing how to mend a broken heart means you can move on with your life. If your partner has left you or something else bad has happened there are various ways to help you get over it and the saying ‘time heals’ actually does apply, even if you are not feeling especially optimistic about anything at the moment. You cannot force yourself to feel better but some tips on getting over the pain include the following: Spend time with family or friends. Having people you care about around you while you are going through a .....
- Greek Lamb CrackslawGreek seasonings work their magic in this special crack slaw recipe, while the meat and veggies are sure to fill you up. This Greek lamb crackslaw makes a change from the Asian crackslaw recipes you might be more familiar with, but if you are looking for something different this recipe is ideal. Ground lamb is used instead of another kind of ground meat, and it makes a great substitute because it is naturally quite fatty which means it comes out succulent and juicy. Fantastic Flavors The Greek flavors in this Greek lamb crackslaw recipe come from the addition of tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. You can also add some black olives if you like. .....
- Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef RoastCoffee might sound like a strange ingredient to combine with beef, but it does lend this crockpot coffee braised beef dish a very rich and tasty flavor which complements the meaty beef taste. This recipe can be made in the crockpot and you don’t need many ingredients for it. To make this crockpot coffee braised beef you will need a boneless beef chuck roast weighing about 3 pounds, or slightly over, along with coffee and garlic. Throw in some water, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and those are the only ingredients you need. Just add your crockpot coffee braised beef ingredients to the crockpot then you can use the cooking liquid to make .....
- Yeast Infections in Men and WomenYeast infections in men are more common than you may think although it’s fair to say many men tend to ignore their symptoms, which can lead to greater problems. The symptoms which men suffer with are incredibly similar to woman, and if diagnosed early can be treated easily. Men of all ages can suffer with yeast infections, and there are areas of the body, which are more likely to have issues. Many men dislike seeing a health professional, despite yeast infections in men being common. This leads to them suffering in silence, and not seeking help and advice. Embarrassment is often the cause of the denial, which is never a good idea, and .....
- Simple Chicken Enchilada RecipeI love Mexican and Tex-Mex food and enchiladas are right up there with my absolute favorites, so when I first made this simple chicken enchilada recipe, I was hoping for a good result, and I got it! The resulting enchiladas were really good, and the flavors were amazing. I hope you like them as much as we all did. Enchiladas are made by rolling corn tortillas around your chosen filling and then adding a spicy sauce and usually cheese on top. You can fiddle about with this recipe as much as you want because it would be hard to mess it up. Just add your favorite ingredients to the filling and top with your favorite toppings, using as many or .....
- Alpine and German Weather HousesFirst things first… what on Earth is a weather house and why would you use German weather houses? Well, a weather house is a little house in the shape of a Swiss or German chalet, and it is used to indicate the weather. Usually there are 2 side-by-side doors, with a girl in the left one and a boy in the right one. If the weather is supposed to be dry and sunny the girl comes out. If it’s going to be rainy the boy comes out. The boy/girl might be young or they might be man/woman figures depending on the design of the weather house itself. Alpine and German weather houses are all different so you can choose exactly what you prefer. .....