Best Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine
Lamb shanks are a wonderful thing to serve on a cold day, so as fall arrives and winter rolls in, stock up on these meaty treats and you can braise them to make the most delicious meals. Braising means slow-cooking in liquid, and you can choose from beer, wine or other liquids. There is plenty of meat on a lamb shank and the flavor is phenomenal. I especially love this braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe because the flavors are so amazing.
So Much Appeal in this Dish
Lamb shanks smell incredible while they cook and the flavor will drive you half-crazy with anticipation! The following braised lamb shanks in red wine recipe is easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find. The lamb is browned then cooked with onion, carrots and celery, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and red wine.
Use a casserole dish on the stove and in the oven, or else use a heavy pot on the stove and transfer the mixture into an ovenproof casserole to bake. It just depends what you have to hand.
Braised lamb shanks in red wine is excellent served with mashed potatoes and this recipe makes 4 portions, but you can always double it if you are feeding a crowd. Once you have experienced the amazing flavor of this braised lamb in red wine recipe you will certainly want to make it again.
Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine – Quick and Easy to Prepare
Braised lamb shanks in red wine is a dish which takes about 3 hours to make, including cooking time, so ensure you start it in plenty of time so it is ready at dinner time. Use a bottle of dry red wine to make this, a regular size bottle (25 ounces, or 750 ml).
The flavor of the wine will be in the finished braised lamb shanks in red wine dish, so use something you would drink. You should always use reasonable quality wine when cooking, especially when the wine is going to be very evident in the finished flavor. Something labeled ‘cooking wine’ is going to cheapen the flavor of the finished dish by adding a mediocre taste to it, and that is never something you should allow if you want to make the most delicious meals. If you want to compare another of our lamb shanks recipes – garlic herb lamb shanks – take a look so you can see which you prefer.
- 4 lamb shanks, about 1 lb (450g) each
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 12 peppercorns
- 5 peeled garlic cloves
- 4 celery ribs, in ¼ inch slices
- 4 carrots, in ¼ inch slices
- 1 roughly chopped onion
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy, ovenproof pot or stove-proof dish.
- Use salt and black pepper to season the meat, then brown for about 4 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic, carrots, onion and celery to the pot, then pour in the red wine and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the water and get the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the peppercorns and bay leaves, then cover the pot tightly.
- Braise in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until the lamb shanks are very tender.
- Turn them once, halfway through.
- Put the shanks in a warmed serving dish.
- Strain the braising liquid into a pan, using a wooden spoon to press on the solids.
- Boil this liquid for 20 minutes over a high heat or until it reduces to 1½ cups (350 ml).
- Season with salt and pepper and pour about a third of it over the meat.
- Keep the rest of the sauce warm.
- Cover the meat with foil and warm it up for about 10 minutes in the oven, then serve with the rest of the sauce.
Another Tempting Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe to Try
Some More Hot Content For You
- Low Carb CookingLow carb cooking and following a low carb diet is not just for diabetics and those who have problems digesting carbohydrates, but for anyone who wants to drop weight and eat tasty food while still maintaining a great shape and not feeling hungry or deprived. Although low carb cooking sounds easy, it takes a while to get used to if you are used to eating bread, pasta and potatoes as part of your daily diet, as many of us are. As is the case with most diets, the focus should be on eating food ‘from the farm not the factory’ which means minimize the amount of prepackaged food you eat and make sure you get plenty of fresh meat, fish .....
- Haramaki Belly Band ReviewHaramaki is Japanese for belly wrap (hara means belly and maki means wrap). This garment can be worn over the belly for a comforting feeling and for warmth. Although this haramaki belly band garment is new to the West, they have been worn in Japan for centuries. More Details A haramaki belly band started as something warriors would wear to cover their vital organs and then turned into a garment which keeps the stomach and kidney area warm. They come in different sizes and colors, and you can get them for men, women, expectant mothers and kids. Choose from various colors, either patterns or simple one-color designs. How to Wear a Haramaki .....
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes with GarlicThis oven roasted tomatoes with garlic recipe is perfect if you want a side dish. Combining the natural sweetness of fresh tomatoes with garlic and herbs, this is such a simple recipe and it makes a change from the usual platter of roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob or broccoli. Not that there is anything wrong with those of course but sometimes it’s nice to have a change of pace. Everyone loves tomatoes whether they are canned, fresh, cherry, plum or another kind, because this vegetable (well, technically a fruit) goes with just about everything. Try this oven roasted tomatoes with garlic dish and you’ll .....
- Pink Toilets and Pink Toilet SeatsPink toilets will make a statement, which is what many people want to do in their homes. The bathroom can often be the best place to be adventurous so don’t rule pink toilets out entirely! If you have a typically conservative taste, yet you want to step out of the box, choosing pink toilets could be the way to achieve this goal. There are no rules when it comes to designing your bathroom; therefore, colorful accessories and fixtures can be an excellent choice. Deciding on the Design, Style and Color of the Toilet Contemporary toilets and bathroom designs have become incredibly popular, and many people are choosing bright, vibrant .....
- Types of ShowersShowers have become popular additions to bathrooms all over the world as more people become aware of saving water. Another reason for having a shower fitted is to save space, and for many people this is vital. You can choose between a variety of different types of showers to suit your needs and budget. Before rushing out to purchase a new shower, you will need to consider several different elements, which will determine the style of shower that you choose. You will need to think about the amount of people in the household, and your current heating system. The right shower should cater to all your needs and suit you perfectly. Choosing a .....
- Tandoori Chicken in the OvenThis wonderful recipe for tandoori chicken in the oven is made with chicken pieces. You can use drumsticks, breast halves, leg quarters or chicken thighs, either bone-in or boneless to make tandoori chicken in the oven. The marinade is made with yogurt (use whole or nonfat, as you prefer) along with lemon juice, garlic, chili paste and a variety of aromatic spices, Leave the chicken pieces in the marinade overnight for the best results. Once the chicken is marinated and you are ready to cook it, get the oven nice and hot, then arrange the chicken on a rack over a roasting pan so all the parts of the chicken are exposed to the heat and so any .....
- Strawberry Apple SmoothieThis wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing. The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or .....
- iPhone Airbags – Fact or Fallacy?Have you heard about these useful little things which attach to the cell and open out in the case of a fall? Although iPhone airbags are still a concept rather than a reality, if these can be concealed and not add bulk to the handset this could well become a reality soon. One drop on a hard floor can crack your screen or break it altogether, so this concept might not be as far-out as it sounds when you consider it like that. Now are iPhone airbags making a little more sense? This continues to be one of the most popular cells on the market, and with the latest apps and accessories, it is no surprise that it remains one of the market leaders. .....
- Spanish Paprika ChickenChicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully. What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and .....
- What is a Yeast InfectionSo, what is a yeast infection? A lot of people ask that every day. A yeast infection is an incredibly common medical condition that can affect people of all ages, gender and background. This problem occurs when the yeast within your body begins to multiply far too quickly and spreads throughout your body. Thrush is classified as a yeast infection, however, this form of infection is commonly found in the mouth. The Candida yeast will colonize the mouth, which creates the painful lesions and creamy discharge that you will experience. You will find that the thick coating resembles cottage cheese, and will affect your tongue and roof of your .....