British Recipe for Shepherd’s Pie
A lot of people find this British recipe for shepherd’s pie perfect for the colder months, and I fall into that group. Really, is there anything more comforting or delicious than shepherd’s pie when the nights are getting cooler?
Shepherd’s pie is often confused with cottage pie, but shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb not ground beef. Think about it – shepherds have sheep not cows! If you want to use ground beef, then that’s also tasty but it’s technically cottage pie. Our British recipe for shepherd’s pie is made with lamb.
We are making this in the British style, using bay leaves, thyme and Worcestershire sauce for flavor, along with meaty stock, an anchovy (that might sound like a strange ingredient but honestly it really complements the dish) and onion. The result is a fantastic British recipe for shepherd’s pie dish which the whole family will go crazy for. This is nice served by itself or you can have some carrots, broccoli, peas or another vegetable on the side.
Optional Ingredients in this British Recipe for Shepherd’s Pie
Some people like to finely chop the veggies and put those into the shepherd’s pie, which you can do. I sometimes add a small can of baked beans in there too (white beans in tomato sauce) and I know some people add peas, finely chopped carrots or a drained small can of corn. Any of those works. If you want to add anything else, consider 1 or 2 minced cloves of garlic. Garlic seems to agree with pretty much every kind of main course. If you are curious how to make a British recipe for shepherd’s pie on the stove, click here to see that recipe instead.
- 1 oz (25g) dripping (bacon grease or similar)
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb 2 oz (500g) ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 finely chopped anchovy (optional)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 oz (400g) canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 fl oz (450 ml) lamb, beef or chicken bouillon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 1½ lbs (700g) peeled, chopped potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 fl oz (55ml) milk
- 3 oz (75g) butter
- Heat the drippings in a pot, then sauté the onion in there for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a skillet and fry the ground lamb, stirring often, until browned.
- Break up any lumps of meat using a wooden spoon.
- Stir the onions then add the flour and stir again.
- Add the anchovy (if using), thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir again, then add the tomatoes, all but 2 tablespoons of the bouillon and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the browned ground lamb and then pour the bouillon mixture into the empty lamb pan, scraping up any stuck-on bits.
- Pour the rest of the bouillon in the pan with the sauce and bring it to a boil.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Let the mixture simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cook the mixture for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender, then drain and add the butter, egg yolk and milk.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the meat into a 2½ pint (1½ liter) ovenproof dish and spread the mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Sprinkle some parsley over the finished shepherd's pie before serving if liked.
Photo by Wendy, on Flickr
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Marinated Chicken SkewersThis tasty chicken recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Everyone will enjoy the flavor of these easy marinated chicken skewers regardless of the season or occasion. Don’t worry if you are new to cooking chicken because it really is easy. These kebabs are full-flavored and everyone is sure to love them. Most barbecued meats should be marinated overnight but since the chicken is chopped before you marinate it, a couple of hours in the fridge will be sufficient to infuse them with marvelous flavor. Simple Flavors Here This easy marinated chicken skewers recipe is simple and the herbs, garlic and lemon juice are the main .....
- Mac Makeup BrushesMac makeup brushes are used by professionals all over the world and if you want to buy discount Mac makeup brushes that is completely possible. This brand is really famous and offers high quality. Brush Choices Mac makeup brushes review websites will provide you with all of the information you need to determine which brushes you want to purchase. There are several different brushes to choose, which will ensure that you can apply your makeup with ease. All of the makeup brushes are made from top quality materials, ensuring that you are buying only the best. Some More Hot Content For You Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers IHOP Pancakes Copycat .....
- Easy Banana Cheesecake with a Vanilla CrustThere are many types of cheesecake to choose from – chocolate, caramel, strawberry… the list goes on. Banana cheesecake is especially good though, and better still it is easy to make. This dessert is wonderful after any kind of main dish and you will probably want seconds because it’s so good! Our recipe uses vanilla wafer cookies and butter to make the crust, then the main layer is made with mashed bananas, sugar, cornstarch, eggs, cream and vanilla. The banana cheesecake is baked briefly in a hot oven then finished off in a cooler oven. When the middle is nearly set but still a little jiggly it is done. How to Serve this .....
- Spicy Roast PotatoesThere are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides. The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York. Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better. If you try to boil a floury potato it is .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- Greek Yogurt Avocado DipDips are always fun to make, especially if you have a food processor and can whip them up in seconds! Although sometimes a hot dip is good, such as this hot and creamy crab dip or even our tasty artichoke dip, cool and creamy dips are also good. Try our Greek yogurt avocado dip if you like cool, creamy dips for your chips or crudites. When I made this particular recipe I enjoyed it with Doritos, but you could serve this with crackers, vegetable crudites, melba toast, baguette bread slices, corn chips, potato chips, or anything else you want to dip in there. I made this in literally 3 minutes and the flavor was amazing. I wasn’t .....
- Which Starter to Serve with Your Main CourseChoosing which starter to serve alongside your main course may seem like a straightforward task; however there are several different elements that you need to consider. When you are planning your menu, you may be surprised to know that you need to choose your main course first. Once this has been selected, you can begin to build the rest of the dinner around this core dish. The main course that you choose is often considered to be the focal point of the whole meal; this means the starter will simply be there to complement the dish. There are basic guidelines and rules that are used to ensure that you do not make any mistakes whilst selecting .....
- Indoor Smoker RecipesAn indoor smoker is a wonderful buy if you want to smoke your own food but you either don’t want to do it outdoors, you don’t have a backyard, or the weather isn’t really on your side. There are different types of indoor smokers to choose from but you can get one for under $50 and the results of your indoor smoker recipes will be really impressive. Bring all the delicious flavors of wood smoking indoors and try smoking a whole fish filet or ham. You can also smoke ribs, salmon, chicken, sausages, tofu, cheese, nuts, garlic, salt (yes, smoked salt is amazing!), Cornish hens, and much more. No oil or fats need to be added .....
- Beautiful Large Opal RingsOpals are a magical stone and no other stone looks like them. The fire in an opal is truly amazing and setting an opal on a silver or gold ring showcases the stone’s beauty to perfection. I love large opal rings and can’t get enough of their gorgeous fire. Do you already have an opal ring or are you just curious about the different types of opals or the different opal ring settings you can choose from? Because, really, there are lots of large opal rings to choose from, and you are going to be spoilt for choice. I was, when I was shopping for mine. I have gathered together lots of different opal rings all in one place so you can .....
- Pastel de Choclo Recipe from ChileI first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity. Side Dish Options What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to .....